Breakfast In the Dining Rooms

We only did one Disney cruise (the second is coming up in a month), but I had no idea that the MDRs were open for breakfast or lunch! We braved the buffet every day for breakfast, and then just ate lunch usually out by the pool.

Live & learn! :)

We usually sleep late (unless we have an early shore excursion) so the buffet isn't all that crowded by the time we get there. I'd rather help myself at the buffet; it's quicker and I can choose the pastry I want and put just the right amount of salsa on my omelette. The servers at the main dining room "suggest" that we share a table -- I'm really not good company when I'm still trying to wake up.

I'm glad I saw this thread as I was hoping there was an alternative to the buffet for breakfast and lunch. We don't do buffets usually as we have food allergies and it's a time sucker to have them come out and tell us what we can/can't eat and then deal with potential cross contamination from people who accidentally switch the serving utensils. We will be MDR our whole trip. We wake up at the same time on vacation as at home so no issues with timing. Do you get to order whatever you want at breakfast in the MDR or is it a set menu?

The menu more or less covers the usual stuff - cereal, waffles, eggs, et al. You can order whatever you want.

As previously mentioned if you have food allergies or dietary considerations you can speak with the serving staff to get something done for you, but that could take time, depending on what the request is.

I'm glad I saw this thread as I was hoping there was an alternative to the buffet for breakfast and lunch. We don't do buffets usually as we have food allergies and it's a time sucker to have them come out and tell us what we can/can't eat and then deal with potential cross contamination from people who accidentally switch the serving utensils. We will be MDR our whole trip. We wake up at the same time on vacation as at home so no issues with timing. Do you get to order whatever you want at breakfast in the MDR or is it a set menu?

They are more than happy to make up a plate in the back - and even make special things like gf chicken fingers - at Cabanas. Does not take any longer than the MDRs.

The menu more or less covers the usual stuff - cereal, waffles, eggs, et al. You can order whatever you want.

As previously mentioned if you have food allergies or dietary considerations you can speak with the serving staff to get something done for you, but that could take time, depending on what the request is.
Thanks! We had Disney note it in our reservation so hopefully it will be smooth sailing for us.

Are breakfasts in the MDR normally better than it is on the last morning? We're normally Cabanas people for breakfast, so the only time we've had breakfast in a MDR was on the last morning with our dinner servers. Found the food to be pretty bad (as if most of it was made the night before).

From my memory (on other cruiselines) and from the research I have done for DCL, is that there is a set menu for the meal. (I think in the past it was a buffet.) Anyways, here is a link to some old menus that you can look at and get an idea of the food available- http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/main-dining-room-breakfast-menus/ . And I have no doubt that the kitchen would be able to meet your dietary requirements, just let your server know!

I like both, really depends what mood I'm in. Never found Cabanas overly crowded but I tend to choose Cabanas when I'm up early..
45min for bkf in the MDR seems to be an average, esp if you order more than 1 item.. BUT on portdays most servers asks if you are on a schedule (port adventures etc) or not.. so i'm sure if you indicate you want to be in and out in 30 min, they'll try to accomodate.

I would agree that Cabanas can be crowded at times, but there is nothing like taking your plate outside on deck and eating your breakfast overlooking the ocean, in the nice sea breeze. We’ve never had a problem finding seating outside at Cabanas. It’s a whole different peaceful vibe outside As opposed to the loud chaos that sometimes reigns inside of Cabanas.

I know what you mean. With my families allergies.

So much food, and nothing to eat.

My husband does not like crowds, which is unfortunate since I love taking the girls to Disney and now we are signed up for a cruise... Anyways, I am a little concerned about everyone trying to eat at Cabanas in the morning (lots of people) and thought that maybe the dining room might be more enjoyable (and less crowded). Also, about how long would breakfast take- 45 minutes? Thanks!!

At at least once do a room service breakfast. It's only continental, but so relaxed, and then you can go and enjoy an early lunch at one of the main dining rooms.

My parents love breakfast in the dining room. DD doesn't like having another long meal. Her MO is that she wants Mickey Waffles once or twice on each trip, but otherwise she's good with cereal and fruit from room service. I prefer Cabanas because I can get less food. I like hot food for breakfast, but the MDR plates are all so big!

Our usual plan is to order room service for DD and coffee for me. Then I will leave her with my parents while I get my breakfast. She and I then get some good mommy daughter time playing games or hitting the pools while they do breakfast in the MDR.

It sounds complicated but it actually works for all of us.

This is the only reason I got a husband, honestly. :angel:

There wasn't MDR lunch the last time we cruised, we're excited to check that out this time!

Which ship were you on? We've never sailed on the Dream but on the Magic, Wonder and Fantasy, lunch has always been served in Royal Court, etc. except on Castaway Cay day and embarkation. For the last year or two it has morphed to brunch on one sea day but still during lunch hour.

We usually sleep late (unless we have an early shore excursion) so the buffet isn't all that crowded by the time we get there. I'd rather help myself at the buffet; it's quicker and I can choose the pastry I want and put just the right amount of salsa on my omelette. The servers at the main dining room "suggest" that we share a table -- I'm really not good company when I'm still trying to wake up.

There are always servers roaming with trays full of pastries in the dining room. Don't know about salsa but if it is available I am sure they would serve it on the side for you. Since you enjoy sleeping in though, it probably doesn't matter as the hours are usually 8:-9:30 and lately sometimes 8:30-10 on sea days.

We've had breakfast and lunch in the MDR dozens of times. The only time we've been asked to share a table was some years ago on a Castaway Cay day....lunch is no longer an option in a MDR on CC day at least in our experience. Were you on the Dream?

Are breakfasts in the MDR normally better than it is on the last morning? We're normally Cabanas people for breakfast, so the only time we've had breakfast in a MDR was on the last morning with our dinner servers. Found the food to be pretty bad (as if most of it was made the night before).

A resounding YES IMO. We've only had breakfast once in the MDR on disembarkation day. We were so disappointed after delicious breakfasts on the preceding days, we have never done disembarkation breakfast in a MDR again.

From my memory (on other cruiselines) and from the research I have done for DCL, is that there is a set menu for the meal. (I think in the past it was a buffet.) Anyways, here is a link to some old menus that you can look at and get an idea of the food available- http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/main-dining-room-breakfast-menus/ . And I have no doubt that the kitchen would be able to meet your dietary requirements, just let your server know!

There is a menu for breakfast that does not seem to change but at least since the end of 2010, it has not been a buffet. The lunch menu changes every day of a given cruise.

Which ship were you on? We've never sailed on the Dream but on the Magic, Wonder and Fantasy, lunch has always been served in Royal Court, etc. except on Castaway Cay day and embarkation. For the last year or two it has morphed to brunch on one sea day but still during lunch hour.

Our previous two cruises were on the Dream. Both in 2015. We cruise on the Fantasy next month! :)

Loved Cabanas. Didn't mind the mob scene. So much more choices than MDR. Only ate in the MDR twice, once for character breakfast and on the last morning. Found that in the MDR there was barely any food in the plates. Especially on the last day, it was pretty bad.

Our previous two cruises were on the Dream. Both in 2015. We cruise on the Fantasy next month! :)

Thanks for the reply. I would really miss lunch in Royal Court, etc.. so one more reason not to sail on the Dream for me although I know she is a lovely ship. Happy sailing next month!

Loved Cabanas. Didn't mind the mob scene. So much more choices than MDR. Only ate in the MDR twice, once for character breakfast and on the last morning. Found that in the MDR there was barely any food in the plates. Especially on the last day, it was pretty bad.

Those two breakfasts are very different from the usual MDR breakfast.....much more limited menu and at least in the case of debarkation breakfast, a rushed and hectic affair. I've read similar reviews of the character breakfast and so have never tried it. Although there isn't the variety of Cabanas, there are quite a few more choices at the regular MDR breakfast served in Royal Court and its iterations.

There is a door hanger in the desk drawer that you can pre order breakfast and pick a time to have it delivered. Fill it out the night before and hang it on your door. As pp said it’s continental. No charge but you should tip a few dollars.
245DE674-FC0E-4DE4-9F6D-37ADB47822E6.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter