(Breakfast) Garden Grill or Kona Cafe?

WawaCoffee

Thank the Phoenicians
We are debating between Garden Grill and Kona Cafe for a 10am breakfast ADR on our upcoming trip. We will be in Epcot that day, making Garden Grill an obvious choice (plus, my girlfriend's favorite characters are Chip & Dale).

Neither of us eat much (we would skip the sticky bun), so we would mainly be paying for the character interaction (we haven't tried any character dining experiences yet). Are the character interactions at Garden Grill worth the price? Do the characters make more than one stop to your table throughout the breakfast service?

The Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe is mentioned on just about every Disney food blog we've read, so we are debating heading to the Polynesian that morning instead of Garden Grill to save some money.

When I stay at the Polynesian Resort, I always go with a cup of Coffee and the Steak and Eggs for breakfast at Kona Café.

We are debating between Garden Grill and Kona Cafe for a 10am breakfast ADR on our upcoming trip. We will be in Epcot that day, making Garden Grill an obvious choice (plus, my girlfriend's favorite characters are Chip & Dale).

Neither of us eat much (we would skip the sticky bun), so we would mainly be paying for the character interaction (we haven't tried any character dining experiences yet). Are the character interactions at Garden Grill worth the price? Do the characters make more than one stop to your table throughout the breakfast service?

The Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe is mentioned on just about every Disney food blog we've read, so we are debating heading to the Polynesian that morning instead of Garden Grill to save some money.

The characters typically make one stop, each, at your table during a character meal. If you don't eat a lot, it's probably not the best value. That being said, I would not leave EP to go all the way over to Poly for Tonga Toast. If you would like something smaller to eat in the EP area, have you considered Les Halles in the France pavilion? Or Trattoria (walk-up, a la carte option) on the Boardwalk or Ale and Compass at YC?

My DH and I went to Kona Cafe two weeks ago just to try the Tonga Toast that we have heard so much about. It was ok, but not something I would go out of my way to order again. It was really thick bread with some bananas in the middle. The outside was covered with cinnamon sugar more like a cinnamon sugar donut or maybe cinnamon toast. It seemed like the coating wasn’t coasted or cooked in any way- just plain cinnamon sugar. I was expecting something more like a stuffed French toast. So I would vote for Garden Grill.

The characters typically make one stop, each, at your table during a character meal. If you don't eat a lot, it's probably not the best value. That being said, I would not leave EP to go all the way over to Poly for Tonga Toast. If you would like something smaller to eat in the EP area, have you considered Les Halles in the France pavilion? Or Trattoria (walk-up, a la carte option) on the Boardwalk or Ale and Compass at YC?

We never thought to walk over to YC or Boardwalk. Looking into those two places now. Thanks!

How much does your friend enjoy the characters? We've eaten at Garden Grill numerous times. Why? My daughter 30 ish loves being a "kid" again and loves Chip and Dale. When we've eaten there, I'll admit taking our time, the characters came around at least twice.

However, if you just want a light meal, I agree to go to France.

If you want to try Tonga Toast on a budget, Captain Cook's has it! It's on the lower level of the Poly. It's only $8.99 there (probably a smaller portion).

If you already don't plan on eating a lot and skipping the sticky bun (the best part) then I don't think Garden Grill would be "worth" it for you all. Chip and Dale are easily met elsewhere in the parks.

If you do want Tonga Toast, the quick service at the Poly - Captain Cooks - also serves it. You could just go there early to get some and then monorail over to Epcot for the day. Kona breakfast is one of our favorites on property but is a longer meal with more to eat, so Captain Cooks may be your better option.

Foodwise, Kona hands down.

Experience wise - depends. If you get the rotating bottom floor of GG, I would say that. If you get upstairs, it would be tie only for the character interaction. I am a big believer of when at Disney do as much character dining as possible. You can get a good omelet close to your home, Im sure., but you cant hug Mickey at home :)

Personally, I wouldn’t do either in your situation. I love garden grill but I love the sticky buns and all that. If you’re not going to eat much it’s probably not worth it. I’ve never been to Kona Cafe, it’s on my list of places to try, but I would save that for a day you are at Magic Kindgom. You’re going to lose so much time traveling back and forth and with a 10am adr you’ll be missing prime ride time as well. With Epcot’s FP tier system that first hour is really helpful.

I'm not a huge eater either, but I'd still go with Garden Grill. You're definitely missing out on the best part if you're skipping the sticky bun, but I found the rest of the food to be surprisingly good. I'm really picky about scrambled eggs (too many years of having to eat awful free hotel breakfast eggs), and theirs were actually pretty solid. The breakfast meats were also good quality. Plus POG juice! And the character interactions were great. I thought it was well worth the price to enjoy a good meal to start the day and meet with Chip, Dale, and Mickey with zero hassle.

Kona was ok but a once and done for us. Garden Grill is our favourite! (especially the sticky bun but the rest of the food is good too) The character interaction is great and both of our breakfasts there they all stopped at our table multiple times. We prefer to do a PPO breakfast though to maximize morning touring time.

We loved the Garden Grill BUT if you aren't into the food that much then, no it's not worth it. We did get some decent time with the characters but you can get that kind of interaction at one of the photo stops.

Kona is on our must do list every trip. We love the laid back atmosphere - it's a great way to start the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter