Breakfast at The Wave or Whispering Canyon???

ZebraDomeCrazy

Silliness is one of my best qualities!
Hi All, We have an upcoming trip at Wilderness Lodge. On checkout day, we will be getting picked up by DME at 12:30, so plenty of time to pack up and have a nice breakfast. We have only had dinner at both of these restaurants. Which would you choose between The Wave and Whispering Canyon? Or is there another suggestion that you prefer in that area?? Thanks, Jane

Both are solid options, but my personal pick would be the Wave. The breakfast buffet at the Wave is my personal favorite on property. They offer a lot of unique items that you can't get anywhere else. That being said, I could understand wanting to simply eat at the restaurant at your own resort. The breakfast skillet at Whispering Canyon is also pretty solid and has all the breakfast basics.

The MK resort area has a huge selection of excellent breakfast options. You have Kona Cafe at the Poly (which offers the legendary Tonga Toast) plus the character breakfasts at 'Ohana (Poly) and 1900 Park Fare (GF). It really depends on what you are looking for.

If you're planning to take the boat over to the Contemporary and back, leave a lot of time. I found I was waiting a long time and it wasn't a super fast trip.

We just did the same thing (11:10am pick up) and ate at Kona. We checked in our luggage at 8:00am, took boat to Contemporary, monorail to TTC and walked to Kona. We were there by 9:00am, but we got a little lost on Poly grounds - should have just stayed on monorail until Poly. DH and I wanted to get some steps in before our flights though. We were out of Kona by 9:50am, took monorail to MK, walked to Contemporary, and boat to WL. We were there by 10:30.

We personally didn't care for WCC for breakfast. Not enough veg/fresh options for us. You could also walk/boat to Trails End at FW. I bet they do a good breakfast buffet. I wanted to try The Wave, but didn't make it.

WCC is one of my favorite restaurants, but I wasn't crazy about the breakfast. I prefer lunch or dinner. Now, the Wave is my favorite restaurant for any meal! In fact, we have breakfast and dinner planned for our December trip.

Wow, thank you all for the quick responses! I think we are leaning towards The Wave, but honestly I had forgotten about breakfast at Kona.... Tonga toast is awesome, and once I had a fruit platter that was really amazing! So many choices. Is there anything good for breakfast at The Grand Floridian? We have only eaten dinner there also.

If you haven't considered trails end, you could. It is a lovely choice and a smaller buffet but has some great meals. And I think either sat/sun they have a meat carving station.

The wave has a buffet and a standard menu, so that can appease hungry and not so hungry people.

Wow, thank you all for the quick responses! I think we are leaning towards The Wave, but honestly I had forgotten about breakfast at Kona.... Tonga toast is awesome, and once I had a fruit platter that was really amazing! So many choices. Is there anything good for breakfast at The Grand Floridian? We have only eaten dinner there also.
I had the French toast at Grand Floridian Cafe and it was really good. But service was slow.

Our favorite place to eat breakfast when we stay at the WL is the breakfast buffet at Trails End. It is really good. We like to walk over there using the paved path to FW. The path comes out next to the pony stable which is fun. It is about a 20 minute walk from WL to the restaurants at FW. You can also take the boat to FW. :)

Both are solid options, but my personal pick would be the Wave. The breakfast buffet at the Wave is my personal favorite on property. They offer a lot of unique items that you can't get anywhere else.
I totally agree with this. The Wave is my fave breakfast on property, and i've pretty much been to all of the restaurants. The Wave has phenominal options and the service has always been great! You can eat off the buffet or order from the menu. If you decide to do the buffet you can also select items from the made-to-order menu free of charge. I tried the made to order french toast and it was fabulous. The special butters and spreads they give is fantastic. My fave was the macadamia butter i think it was. YUM! Mimosa use to be included in the price but i dont think they do that anymore. Frankly this is the best breakfast and blows kona out of the water. Its quite affordable at $23 pp (for the buffet).

Last edited:
Wow tough call. Two places I dislike lol but I thought the food at the wave was good. The service just stunk.

Hi All, We have an upcoming trip at Wilderness Lodge. On checkout day, we will be getting picked up by DME at 12:30, so plenty of time to pack up and have a nice breakfast. We have only had dinner at both of these restaurants. Which would you choose between The Wave and Whispering Canyon? Or is there another suggestion that you prefer in that area?? Thanks, Jane

You can't even begin to compare the two!!
The Wave buffet is the best of any we've tried - has very unique offerings, plus the tried and true.
The Mickey waffles are also some of the best we've had - so crisp outside, yet so tender inside - I really think the reason is they keep them coming fresh - not just sitting under a heat lamp! Sweet potato pancakes with pecan butter - oh, all so yummy!! Need that breakfast now!!! :tongue:

I love the Wave's breakfast, one of the best I've had at Disney, but I agree it takes longer than one would think to get over to the Contemporary and might be stressful on a departure morning. I love the idea of taking the quick boat to FW and going to Trail's End (even though I've never been there)! Have a great trip! :flower1:

I love the Wave's breakfast, one of the best I've had at Disney, but I agree it takes longer than one would think to get over to the Contemporary and might be stressful on a departure morning. I love the idea of taking the quick boat to FW and going to Trail's End (even though I've never been there)! Have a great trip! :flower1:

Getting to The Wave may even be quicker, as you get on the monorail (instead of boat at MK) and first stop is Contemporary!! The TE breakfast buffet (more rustic) is also very nice, just completely different than The Wave (I think more classic) We enjoy both.

There is a boat line that runs between Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, and Ft. Wilderness. No need to transfer at the Magic Kingdom when going between any of these destinations.

We've done the Wave breakfast many times and it is very hard to beat. The buffet is well stocked with many different items as well as the usual staples.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter