Boy with knee injury

Philaphonic28

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney World soon and we just found out my nephew has torn his pcl and is going into surgery before we leave. It's almost 100% he will be in a cast and a wheel chair. Poor little guy. Any tips for us? How does this effect rides (since he is 8 I am thinking he will still fit if he can't bend his knee)? Dining? Can you bring your own chair in or is renting better? To they have motorized vehicles for kids? Etc.

Ouch! That is very unfortunate.

Attractions/Shows:
  • He'll most likely go through a "wheelchair line" and be seated in the wheelchair accessible vehicles (w/ the family) or in wheelchair sections (usually the front) of shows
Maneuvering around the park:
  • That would be your "challenge". At times maneuvering around the parks will be a breeze, sometimes it might be a little bit more difficult.
Dining
  • Won't affect anything. They'll have a spot for him. They may assist in transferring him to a seat. You'll be perfectly fine.
Rent
  • At the entrance of the park, they do have wheelchairs/ECV's for guests with disabilities. You could bring your own or talk with the front desk at your resort regarding the circumstance.
Overall, there's nothing too big to worry about. You'll be in good hands and the wheelchair won't ruin your amazing vacation. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip!

Bring your own or rent one appropriate for his size. This way you have it everywhere you go, otherwise he will have some long walks at resorts, from buses to front of park etc. And it will probably be cheaper to rent from a vendor offsite (go to Disabilities Board for referrals) than rent each day at the park.

No, under 18 are not allowed to use electric scooters, rental companies will not rent to him.

Wheelchairs can enter just about all lines and he can transfer at the ride vehicle. Only a few will have you come back and use a different route like Big Thunder Mountain.

Zero issues at restaurants.

I would check into rental agencies that can deliver to your resort. They're much less expensive than renting at the theme park gate, and you can have the guarantee of having it the entire trip.

Also be sure to ask your MD what his limitations are going to be. If he shouldn't ride roller coasters or be jostled around then follow those rules.

I suggest you also post this on the DisAbilities board here. The FAQ there is a useful read on how one transfers from the wheelchair to the ride, what to do if the person can't transfer, etc.

My daughter had to use a wheelchair last year. At first we tried the Disney ones, but they were really uncomfortable and you can't take them out of the park. We ended up renting from offsite and it was much better and definitely cheaper. The DisAbilities board is awesome and extremely knowledgeable. I hope you all enjoy your trip.

Dang, I feel his pain. I tore my PCL in my left knee a little over 10 years ago now during high school freshman football. Surgery was optional but I assume it's recommended for his young age along with the cast. I was on crutches for about 2 months while my knee strengthened up.

I'm sure there will definitely be some rides he'll have to pass on like Rockin Rollercoaster or Space mountain just due to the confined area you have to maneuver into, but he should still have plenty he'll be able to ride as long as he's up for it.

Goodluck with the trip and hopefully he has a speedy recovery
:goofy:

Not too sure about his specific injury, but I had a similar knee injury and (possibly) a similar surgery from the sounds of the story, and my surgeon had me up and going as soon as possible after surgery. I would still definitely recommend a wheelchair for Disney, because it's A LOT of walking. Also, my leg wasn't casted, I was in a knee brace with a hinge to allow my knee to bend. Again, this is something that only the doctor will be able to answer because he/she knows the patient and what the patient needs better than any of us on these boards!

I suggest you also post this on the DisAbilities board here. The FAQ there is a useful read on how one transfers from the wheelchair to the ride, what to do if the person can't transfer, etc.

I agree. As a person who had to tour Disney World in a wheelchair for a brief injury and as one who has had to push her husband for a different brief injury, those folks will be able to help you out with the many questions you will have. From my experience on both sides of "the chair", things will be fine and your nephew and your entire family will have a great experience.

Are you sure about the cast? Most knee surgeries, even a complete replacement, don't require one. You'll have to be cognizant of any exercises that may be necessary (stretching/bending). Check with the doctor.

Ouch! That is very unfortunate.

Attractions/Shows:
  • He'll most likely go through a "wheelchair line" and be seated in the wheelchair accessible vehicles (w/ the family) or in wheelchair sections (usually the front) of shows
Maneuvering around the park:
  • That would be your "challenge". At times maneuvering around the parks will be a breeze, sometimes it might be a little bit more difficult.
Dining
  • Won't affect anything. They'll have a spot for him. They may assist in transferring him to a seat. You'll be perfectly fine.
Rent
  • At the entrance of the park, they do have wheelchairs/ECV's for guests with disabilities. You could bring your own or talk with the front desk at your resort regarding the circumstance.
Overall, there's nothing too big to worry about. You'll be in good hands and the wheelchair won't ruin your amazing vacation. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip!

Some important clarification of Inaccurate info.
An 8 YO will not be able to rent an ECV at the front of the park, or anywhere for that matter. With rare exceptions, you need to be 18 to rent a motorized vehicle.
I agree with PP, unless you have already been told he will be in a cast - he may not be. Early mobilization is now often the goal now a days. That said, Disney staff will NOT "assist in transferring him to a seat" in a restaurant. You will have to be able to help him.
I also agree with PP the most important thing is to understand, from his doctor, what he needs.
Good Luck

Maneuvering around the park
Not many attractions have special lines for wheelchairs any more. You go through the regular line at the majority and the few that do have special lines there are always cast members to tell you where you need to enter. Also from my experience, many shows wheelchair seating is in the back of the theatre not the front, but some definitely do have front seating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter