Boy do they oversell this Halloween party!!!

I understand its expensive. But if it is overcrowded at 125 per a person. Thats madness. I can go to michelin starred ventures for that
Hardly the same thing though. Something tells me the avg 7 yo wouldn't enjoy the Michelin venue nearly as much.
And I'll be honest, nor would this 55 yo, LOL

Why not charge 125 dollars per a person. And have buffet stations, with deserts, and the kids can paint with icing the cookies. There could be free flowing soft drink and 'wine' . Little cakes, cookies, ice cream made from nitrogen (to make it scary) and characters roming around. And. live music and a parade
At that price point, with those offerings, you'd have sell outs every night even at the current attendance limits. It all sounds good except for the roaming characters. Too hard to control the crowds for pictures with the more popular ones.

I’ll never understand how this is a valid excuse for anything. Train your CMs, give them good information or be prepared to stand by what they tell guests.

I don't really know how to answer this. I'd agree that it's not a valid excuse. But I was a cast member once. When you're in a guest-facing role, the potential variety of questions you get is mindboggling, and you gain knowledge over years in a way no training can teach you. I would never intentionally give someone a wrong answer, and if I didn't know something, I would either try to find out if possible, or I'd point the guest toward how to find an answer. But even among veterans, sometimes you absolutely think something is true, have no reason to question, and you have no idea that you're wrong or outdated... even CMs who have worked there for 25 years with the best intentions.

I used to beat myself over it if I made mistakes when I first started, but I now understand that no amount of training will give you perfect knowledge. You just do your best to help or you shut down and be less helpful (lest you might say the wrong thing once in a while). Most people will not shut down when they know an answer.

So I'm kind of not excusing The Walt Disney Company either (however you define the company... it's employees? it's management? Bob Iger?). But without severely limiting the topics a CM is allowed to discuss, it is a reality that people will make mistakes, and I don't have a clear solution for that.

So I went to last night’s party and I really enjoyed it. We noticed more crowds, but we still were able to do everything we wanted. It is much easier to tour in a small group with no kids. I do a lot less at the christmas party, since that’s a whole family event with the nephew in tow.

I still have yet to get into a massively long ToT line. We did 5 of them. Some were lengthy, but it’s constant motion. The longest one for us was around 5 mins for the country bear location.

For over $100, I wish they would extend the party to 1am. We were able to get on SM a second time after the last parade, but it would’ve been cool to have another hour to ToT, ride rides, etc.

There is only two answers to this:
1) Disney cap the crowds. As it seems now, that crowds for the parties are more than during the day. I don't see Disney doing this since people are filling the current capacity to the brim.

2) Raise the prices to the point that less people go.

.. really if you are paying as much (if not more) than a normal day ticket for a special event, the event should be capped (just like the "early morning magic" things are .. though I guarantee they are going to increase the capacity of those until they become "too crowded").

There is only two answers to this:
1) Disney cap the crowds. As it seems now, that crowds for the parties are more than during the day. I don't see Disney doing this since people are filling the current capacity to the brim.

2) Raise the prices to the point that less people go.

.. really if you are paying as much (if not more) than a normal day ticket for a special event, the event should be capped (just like the "early morning magic" things are .. though I guarantee they are going to increase the capacity of those until they become "too crowded").

Right, and even then, neither answer is going to make everyone happy. If demand exceeds supply, then prices are supposed to rise. Otherwise, if they cap attendance, people will complain that they can't find tickets. Scalping usually starts occurring at this point for most events. Although Disney can make scalping more difficult, it becomes an inefficient market where people who want to go are getting turned away.

The other answer is that Disney can expand supply by adding more party nights to keep up with demand, so that guests are more spread out (especially locals). But then people like me, who never think these parties are worth the money, won't be happy with my Magic Kingdom evenings being swallowed up with more early closures. And knowing the hungry crowds out there with money to spend, they'll just keep buying tickets until those nights are completely full too.

Right, and even then, neither answer is going to make everyone happy. If demand exceeds supply, then prices are supposed to rise. Otherwise, if they cap attendance, people will complain that they can't find tickets. Scalping usually starts occurring at this point for most events. Although Disney can make scalping more difficult, it becomes an inefficient market where people who want to go are getting turned away.

The other answer is that Disney can expand supply by adding more party nights to keep up with demand, so that guests are more spread out (especially locals). But then people like me, who never think these parties are worth the money, won't be happy with my Magic Kingdom evenings being swallowed up with more early closures. And knowing the hungry crowds out there with money to spend, they'll just keep buying tickets until those nights are completely full too.

Yes, but like you said, adding more parties basically makes the MK a half day experience for anyone NOT going to the party. That is a slippery slope that Disney bean counters may see as an opportunity though:

We don't want to see them do that because basically you end up getting guests to pay full admission price for either "morning" hours or "night" hours.
Genius! (for the bean counters, not the guests).

Disney is taking full advantage of OUR demand for Halloween experiences .. they've started the parties in August, they've increased the number of parties and they've increased the prices.

The only recourse we, the guests, have .. is simply stop going. It's OUR problem ... we created it. We are feeding the Disney beast. Eventually people will stop going once they've heard it's too crowded.

Yes, but like you said, adding more parties basically makes the MK a half day experience for anyone NOT going to the party. That is a slippery slope that Disney bean counters may see as an opportunity though:

We don't want to see them do that because basically you end up getting guests to pay full admission price for either "morning" hours or "night" hours.
Genius! (for the bean counters, not the guests).

Disney is taking full advantage of OUR demand for Halloween experiences .. they've started the parties in August, they've increased the number of parties and they've increased the prices.

The only recourse we, the guests, have .. is simply stop going. It's OUR problem ... we created it. We are feeding the Disney beast. Eventually people will stop going once they've heard it's too crowded.

I'm doing my part not to go to these parties. I really am! But I feel like it's a losing battle. It's everyone else who keeps succumbing to them. :)

Well put. The problem is, they are not all too crowded. It's a crap shoot. Some are, some are still lightly attended (compared to day crowds/waits). People will start figuring this out and moving their dates around like they have for trips in general. Crowds have shifted and eventually the party crowds will too.

I'm doing my part not to go to these parties. I really am! But I feel like it's a losing battle. It's everyone else who keeps succumbing to them. :)
These things will ebb and flow for sure.

The only reason the parties exist is to draw crowds during what used to be the "slow season".

Well put. The problem is, they are not all too crowded. It's a crap shoot. Some are, some are still lightly attended (compared to day crowds/waits). People will start figuring this out and moving their dates around like they have for trips in general. Crowds have shifted and eventually the party crowds will too.
Unfortunately the problem Disney has is how to manage guest expectations. Right now people expect that paying for a special "exclusive" party gets them a less crowded park .. it obviously does not ..it just gets them some candy, some special characters and a unique parade.

I think you'll see less repeat guests of the parties as the value seems to drop unless Disney announces what the cap is so people KNOW what they are getting.

We’ll be there that night too! Parade and fireworks are our major priority so I figure we’ll end up camping out for a while for them.
That's kinda what I figure we will do too - along with the Trick or Treating! We will only take character pictures if the line is less than 10min. So none of the popular ones! lol

That's kinda what I figure we will do too - along with the Trick or Treating! We will only take character pictures if the line is less than 10min. So none of the popular ones! lol
Does anyone know what the number of tickets sold is? Compared to daytime attendance?
Obviously daytime attendance isn’t the same throughout the day. People come and go. But if it’s 100,000 vs 50,000 - waittimes on rides should be less.
Obviously parades and fireworks are busier because it’s a one time deal. You can’t go tomorrow instead.

I’m almost afraid to say this but we’re in the group that really doesn’t care how crowded it is. We’ve gone for the past few years- and coming all the way from Minnesota- here’s our feelings. We love the atmosphere, the being out at night in shorts and still being warm, the rides we do get to go on, trick or treating even though our family members are considered too “old” to normally do so, seeing the various characters in their Halloween costumes even tho we rarely get pictures or autographs, and here’s the craziest one: we even enjoy the crazy crowds in their costumes simply because it’s an atmosphere and experience we just never have anywhere else...

So my feelings are that our family of six ( two adults four kids) can’t be the ONLY ones who feel this way- so in spite of all the complaints about crowds, there’s probably many families having just as much fun as we do even with the crowds. The question is which group is larger? If those having fun make up a majority, then I don’t believe things will change because for every unhappy family who doesn’t go, a new family will step in to take their place.

I went to the Halloween party on 9/30 and it was soooo beautifully uncrowded. Lines shorter than any extra magic hours I've experienced.

That night Space Mountain was briefly out of commission but the People Mover was still working and I got to go through SM with all the lights on inside since they were working on it--it's, ummm, a big grey roller coaster. You could say I saw Space Mountain's skeleton, in keeping with the night's theme.

I’m almost afraid to say this but we’re in the group that really doesn’t care how crowded it is. We’ve gone for the past few years- and coming all the way from Minnesota- here’s our feelings. We love the atmosphere, the being out at night in shorts and still being warm, the rides we do get to go on, trick or treating even though our family members are considered too “old” to normally do so, seeing the various characters in their Halloween costumes even tho we rarely get pictures or autographs, and here’s the craziest one: we even enjoy the crazy crowds in their costumes simply because it’s an atmosphere and experience we just never have anywhere else...

So my feelings are that our family of six ( two adults four kids) can’t be the ONLY ones who feel this way- so in spite of all the complaints about crowds, there’s probably many families having just as much fun as we do even with the crowds. The question is which group is larger? If those having fun make up a majority, then I don’t believe things will change because for every unhappy family who doesn’t go, a new family will step in to take their place.

This is good to hear cuz we’re going halloween night and it’s sold out. I do love seeing people in costumes and am expecting it to be crowded. ESP for the show and parade. It can’t be shoulder to shoulder in the entire park tho all night can it? That would be annoying. But good to know it can still be fun.

I was told Disney don’t pay a cent for the candy; it’s all provided free as part of sponsorship deals

Wow, that is unbelievable. What extra expenses does Disney really pay for these parties then? They do parades and fireworks and do extra magic hours, so what do these parties really cost Disney??? Doesn't seem like much. They profit margin must be really high for these parties. I can't even imagine!

Wow, that is unbelievable. What extra expenses does Disney really pay for these parties then? They do parades and fireworks and do extra magic hours, so what do these parties really cost Disney??? Doesn't seem like much. They profit margin must be really high for these parties. I can't even imagine!
That's what is so crazy and frustrating. They shut the park to "regular" guests at 6pm and then get all the EXTRA $$$$$$$ from the MNSSHP guests for the 6pm-12am slot. Yet, in summer and back in the good old days, MK would stay open until 12am anyway and you would still get parade and fireworks as part of your regular park ticket. So all it "costs" Disney is the cost of designing a "special" (IMHO not-so-special) halloween parade and fireworks in place of the "regular" parades and fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter