Boulder Ridge Referb

It's typical disboards. We've gone from "They're never going to refurb BRV" to "They've finally decided to do the BRV refurb but it will probably just be some partial job or a soft goods refresh at best" to "Sure, they're doing a full refurb but they could have done more and they probably won't do a good job anyway".

The next step will be "Well, I've read that when Riviera comes up for their first refurb, the plan is to demolish the whole resort and rebuild from the ground up. I don't know why BRV doesn't get that kind of love".

And again - that isn't close to what I said but that's also the DISboards. Go back and re-read. I stated they did "almost" all of this the last time. It didn't weather very well. I did not say that is what they are doing this time but go ahead and twist it into something beyond - "just waiting to see if they do better".

I'm lost on what you believe I am saying. So trying to clarify - even if they rip everything out it can be a hash job either by inferior quality selection or inferior installation don't you think? There was a bit of both on the previous renovation. Then there's the possibility of design.
I know that the same company that did SSR and VGF2 is doing the refurb at BRV. I expect the quality of work to be on par with those projects. I know that they aren't working on a high-end custom home and that the work is cookie-cutter and designed (as they all are) to be as quick and time/cost efficient as possible. That inherently leads to some workmanship issues that can be addressed if brought to the attention of the contractor. I also know that each and every issue anyone has had with either of those projects were issues that were very likely to be found when each of those projects were initially constructed. It's a hotel room.

That's what we know, and that's all that we know.

Several of your posts do come off sounding like you are expecting a "hash job" from the get-go and are going to be surprised if it comes out barely passable. It also sounds like you think, because it is BRV, that automatically they are going to use inherently inferior quality materials (even though the quality of materials at SSR is entirely on par with what I would expect on a hotel/timeshare/apartment refurbishment, as is VGF2). As to your last two points, one uses a project nearly a decade ago performed by a different contractor as a baseline, and the other is wholly without any empircal data to support it (design).

Obviously anything is possible, there just isn't anything to suggest that THIS refurb is going to be some kind of disaster.

Last edited:
And again - that isn't close to what I said but that's also the DISboards. Go back and re-read. I stated they did "almost" all of this the last time. It didn't weather very well. I did not say that is what they are doing this time but go ahead and twist it into something beyond - "just waiting to see if they do better".
Ok, well that wasn't close to what you were saying because it wasn't responding to you.

It was a general commentary on the random posts that pop up every time they do a refurb or retheme: SSR, VGF2, Poly (Moana) and even at Contemporary (Incredibles). There is a tradition on here of bellyaching about things not being refurbished or repaired, and when they ARE repaired or refurbished, there is a cacophony of complaints about how and why they did what they did. The same thing can be said for Moonlight Madness, the TOTWL, AP's, you name it. Complain that something is gone or delayed, then find ways to still complain even when it comes back. "Reservations suck", "Hours suck", Blue Card, White Card, ad nauseum.

It's not specific to this thread (and definitely not responding to you), and it is pervasive throughout the Disboards, Facebook, you name it.

Today's topic is H2O+ toiletries. If Disney had simply eliminated them or cut back for alleged budgetary reasons, the pitchforks and torches would be passing around as we speak. Since it's the company that produces them that is shutting down the line, the typical response instead amounts to "Yeah, that stuff sucked anyway". I GUARANTEE you, if Disney arbitrarily opted to go with whatever stuff they use at Motel 6, the chorus of posts championing the amazing, fantastic, can't be lived without H2O+ products would be deafening.

I guess I'm a glass half full guy, particularly when they are filling the glass behind a closed door.

Last edited:
Well based on the reports…it certainly does appear to be a full refurb. One thing I don’t understand, though….many of us emailed the Member Satisfaction team as recently as two weeks ago and we were all given basically the same answer “we have nothing to report on the refurb at this time”. Why give us such a canned answer when the project was very obviously ready to begin? All that did was make the Member Satisfaction look foolish…..”here we go again….the left hand doesn’t have a clue what the right hand is doing”.
Can’t wait to stay at our home resort again…finally…haven’t stayed there since Dec 2017! We haven’t been to WDW at all since late Feb 2020….really missing it now…..thinking early to mid May just might be good.

Last edited:
Well based on the reports…it certainly does appear to be a full refurb. One thing I don’t understand, though….many of us emailed the Member Satisfaction team as recently as two weeks ago and we were all given basically the same answer “we have nothing to report on the refurb at this time”. Why give us such a canned answer when the project was very obviously ready to begin? All that did was make the Member Satisfaction look foolish…..”here we go again….the left hand doesn’t have a clue what the right hand is doing”.
Can’t wait to stay at our home resort again…finally…haven’t stayed there since Dec 2017! We haven’t been to WDW at all since late Feb 2020….really missing it now…..thinking early to mid May just might be good.
I could envision the rank and file complaining that they've had to deal with a rightfully angry mob of disappointed owners for the better part of two years now, and the powers that be deciding the best course of action is to keep the rank and file in the dark and allow them the freedom to honestly answer that they really don't know.

You know, the old saying about growing mushrooms...

People will be even more mad if MS gives them some kind of time frame and it gets delayed. Plans change, I can see why they wouldn’t want want MS giving out time lines.

Sounds like it got moved up by a couple months since it seems they've already taken room out of service. I would hope the ones they are doing right now might be starting to come back into service in October. And I say that with my fingers crossed because we will be there the end of October and I'd like a remodeled room 😊
We’re there 11/12-11/15 for DH’s bday and really hoping the same!

Has there been any work on the refurb, found it interesting it doesn't even mention anything about it on the site when booking like it does for every other resort? Trying to figure out if I should plan to book there in May 2023

Has there been any work on the refurb, found it interesting it doesn't even mention anything about it on the site when booking like it does for every other resort? Trying to figure out if I should plan to book there in May 2023
What do you mean?

What do you mean?
If you go the DVC Member website and go to book a room at BRV -- and if you go to the main DisneyWorld.com website and go to book a room at BRV -- there is NO notice on the website indicate that a refurb / construction. For EVERY other resort that has refurb - even if it's just a pool or a common area - there is a notice that there is construction ongoing that could impact guests' experience and a timeframe for that work. There is absolutely nothing about BRV.

This is part of what is making some of us owners go, what the heck is going on? The last refurb was a disaster. This refurb has been postponed numerous times. Many of us emailed Member Satisfaction to inquire about the refurb and got canned responses that they had no timeframe for refurb. Now it looks like there IS a refurb going on, but there's been no announcement, no info on if the test rooms are the intended design, no follow up to members who just recently as two weeks ago asked about refurb, and absolutely no mention of ongoing construction on the booking website, when it will be occurring, etc. It does make you wonder what the heck is going on, and why BRV is continues to be treated differently than other resorts when it comes to their refurb.

If you go the DVC Member website and go to book a room at BRV -- and if you go to the main DisneyWorld.com website and go to book a room at BRV -- there is NO notice on the website indicate that a refurb / construction. For EVERY other resort that has refurb - even if it's just a pool or a common area - there is a notice that there is construction ongoing that could impact guests' experience and a timeframe for that work. There is absolutely nothing about BRV.

This is part of what is making some of us owners go, what the heck is going on? The last refurb was a disaster. This refurb has been postponed numerous times. Many of us emailed Member Satisfaction to inquire about the refurb and got canned responses that they had no timeframe for refurb. Now it looks like there IS a refurb going on, but there's been no announcement, no info on if the test rooms are the intended design, no follow up to members who just recently as two weeks ago asked about refurb, and absolutely no mention of ongoing construction on the booking website, when it will be occurring, etc. It does make you wonder what the heck is going on, and why BRV is continues to be treated differently than other resorts when it comes to their refurb.
Bingo... I would love to spend the extra points and book at BRV in May 2023. Would require me to borrow points, so wish Disney would give heads up on the timeframe! Dont want to stay if the rooms are not refrubished

While I am glad to see a very thorough renovation, I really liked those old red/green and cream tiles. I hope the new design is atleast somewhat themed. Looking at the gut job they are doing, and noticing that they are getting rid of all the old chairs and tables I also hope this means we get a banquette (like BLT and newer DVC resorts) and not the stupid two chair table that all the 1/2 bedrooms have, those are pointless for rooms that sleep 5-8 people!

Jennifer

DVC has never been known for their prompt and reliable communication. Not saying this as an excuse, because its really inexcusable to say "we have no idea" and start renovation two weeks later...

Jennifer

I hope that any one thinking about a DVC purchase is aware of how poorly they keep up their commitment to owners.

I get that, but the question was "Has there been any work on the refurb"? and the answer obviously is "yes", so I was curious if I had misunderstood the question. Regardless of whether it says anything on the website, the work is clearly underway.

Hey, I do get that the communication stinks and you'll get zero argument from me (do a search and you'll find I've done my fair share of bellyaching), but that's a different question.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter