Both coasts in 1 trip

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
Hi all đź‘‹ We live in Australia and are planning a very exciting trip for our WDW wedding this time next year!

We're very disappointed that USO's new park won't be open in time for our visit, and we'll miss Super Nintendo World (not that we were planning our trip around it, but did get excited when we saw that it was coming). We were actually going to see it at Universal in Japan last year, but unfortunately had to cancel our trip. We'll be flying through LA anyway, so we're thinking of adding a couple of nights there so we can visit Super Nintendo World at USH (and a few other favourites while we're there of course!). It doesn't seem like it's the best version of the land, but at least we'll get to experience it. This will most likely be Tuesday 21 January, so hopefully shouldn't be too busy.

A week or so later, we'll be in Orlando. I had of course planned to spend a bit of time at USO, mainly for HP, but I'm also a bit of a rollercoaster nut! Sadly, my partner does not enjoy rollercoasters at all, but we'll most likely have others with us who will also be interested. I guess my question is, if we've already done USH on the way through, and we just want to focus on new attractions at USO, could we potentially get away with just 1 day for both parks? Obviously we need to visit both to get the full HP experience including Hogwarts Express! Would investing in express passes make this more achievable? We would plan to go on a weekday during the last week in January so hopefully it won't be too busy there either.

We would be able to manage an extra day if it would be better. Perhaps we should focus on HP and the tamer rides on the first day and just us rollercoaster nuts can go back for a second day?

I guess my question is, if we've already done USH on the way through, and we just want to focus on new attractions at USO, could we potentially get away with just 1 day for both parks?

In a word - no.

I am a long-time UO passholder and just did Universal Hollywood for the first time last month and IMHO, they are two very different creatures. Even the rides that are the same aren't quite the same and you will probably want to consider experiencing them on both coasts (particularly the ones that you like).

I would definitely plan on two days at UO, particularly if you want to do all of the experiences (if you buy a wand in Hollywood, it will work in Orlando and there are different windows/spells), shows, etc. And the food is WAY better in Florida. (Don't get me started about my CA Toothsome experience!)

USH is truly a one-day park (even geeking out and exploring extensively, we left before park close on a low-crowd, short hour day). USO just isn't if you plan on exploring it to its fullest. If you want to only do the rides and only do the highlights, maybe. But know that you will be missing things and will probably/hopefully be left trying to plan a return trip.

Thanks, that's helpful context. We have only been to USH and USS before. USS is pretty much all rollercoasters, which I could have ridden over and over all day, but there wasn't much for my partner to do and mostly he was just sitting around waiting for me. And the last time I went to USH I was done by early afternoon (but that was in 2010 so wasn't sure if it's still considered a 1-day park). It's hard to know what to expect at USO.

Apart from the rollercoasters, the main appeal is definitely HP, but I'm not sure if we'll bother with wands or anything. I guess after our experiences at the other Universal parks, I'm concerned about the non thrill riders in our group getting bored (POTC is the biggest thrill my mum can handle, and my partner got sick on Pteranodon Flyers at USS lol!). And I struggle with screen-based rides, which seem to be in abundance at Universal (and slowly taking over Disney too!). Sounds like there will be enough to entertain everyone for a couple of days though so it's probably worth factoring in an extra one.

For a group that has ride cowards and people who have issues with screen-based rides, two days at both Universal Orlando parks might work. While not the same level as Disney, there are shows. I remember watching one or two enjoyable shows while my friend did the Mummy ride.

Universal Orlando is not a one day park. It is a multi-day park, especially if there are serious Harry Potter fans. Even if you skip Forbidden Journey, do the full queue because it's amazing. When you get to the front of the line, tell the team member you don't want to ride, and they will direct you where to go.

Universal Orlando is not a one day park. It is a multi-day park, especially if there are serious Harry Potter fans. Even if you skip Forbidden Journey, do the full queue because it's amazing. When you get to the front of the line, tell the team member you don't want to ride, and they will direct you where to go.
I wouldn't say we've got any *serious* HP fans in the group, more that some of us enjoy HP and also enjoy immersive theming. But yes, definitely leaning towards adding a second day now, thank you!

Good tip on FJ too. I will definitely be encouraging everyone to join me for the queue for FJ even if they don't want to ride. My only concern is that people won't believe me that they can do the queue without riding and will think I'm trying to trick them into doing the ride lol! I would imagine it's fairly common - is it fairly obvious that you can do that?

Good tip on FJ too. I will definitely be encouraging everyone to join me for the queue for FJ even if they don't want to ride. My only concern is that people won't believe me that they can do the queue without riding and will think I'm trying to trick them into doing the ride lol! I would imagine it's fairly common - is it fairly obvious that you can do that?
It is fairly common. I would be honest with the person. You know them and know what language would work, but I would suggest something like "I understand you do not like intense thrill rides and I am totally okay with that. I promise I am not trying to force you to ride something that you do want to ride. However, the full line for Forbidden Journey takes you all around Hogwarts and it's amazing. When we get to the front of the line and it's time to ride, I promise if you tell the Team Member you do not want to ride they will direct you towards the exit and you will not be forced to ride."

ProTip: There are two lines. There is the ExpressPass line and the regular line. The regular line lets you see far more of the castle. The ExpressPass skips multiple rooms/locations but it is shorter/gets you on the ride faster. If you are okay splitting up the group, I would send the people who are not riding through the regular line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter