Boorish behavior

The worst behavior I've seen was waiting for a parade at the Magic Kingdom. (Yeah, don't push my 1 year old aside when we were waiting at the curb for almost 2 hours). We stopped watching parades at that point.

I prefer spray sunscreen since I'm allergic to something in most of the lotions. I also have breathing issues so I see the other side of it. When applying we go FAR away from others and also check to make sure nobody in downwind (and then I hold my breath). Anyone who applies it in a crowded area is incredibly inconsiderate.

I'm a slow walker who uses a cane most of the time, so I try to move over so that I'm out of the way of others. I don't understand what that woman's issue could be.

Yeah, I don't get that one. My Mother has mobility issues and when we took her on a cruise we had no issue with people passing us as we slowly went from one area to another. Frankly, a big like forming behind her would have just stressed her out and made her try to walk faster.

I will add that things were not always pleasant at the elevators - I hope people realize that there are some people who really can't take the stairs when they push their way to the front of the elevator line. One of us would go with my Mom in the elevator and the others would always take the stairs since we didn't want to take up more space than we needed.

I'm a slow walker who uses a cane most of the time, so I try to move over so that I'm out of the way of others. I don't understand what that woman's issue could be.

I don't understand either. Most people who walk slower than others, whether it's a necessity or just a choice, has always been considerate towards us when we walk fast. That was the first time I remembered having been treated that way. We are very considerate people. It's important to teach our children by example. I would be very upset and apologize if we did anything to upset her, but I know we didn't. My husband did mention that she was yelling at another man after she was done yelling down the hallway, but not sure what that was about.

Jerks are jerks regardless of location. We cruised a couple of weeks ago, and there was one older couple that were just the biggest pair of you-know-whats the entire week....starting before we even got on the boat!

At MCO when it was time to board the shuttle, we knew our group was about to be called so we went to the side of the roped off line and others lined up behind us. Then here comes the aforementioned couple who just ignore everyone waiting and go and stand in front of everyone. A CM tells them to move aside and join the line. They don't, they just sort of hover at a slight distance. When our group is called, we enter the line. I allow my in laws to step into the line before us and the kids, this is when the older couple barge right in front of us, splitting our group. Nope, not having it. I say excuse me. Ignored. Excuse me. Ignored. EXCUSE ME, we are traveling as a group could we please stay together? Oh at this point, I should mention the older couple was part of a larger group too...the rest of their group seemed fine to wait politely. Anyway, we rejoin our group and the husband in the couple was spitting mad about not getting his way and being first. Red faced and snapping angrily at his wife. We check in and board the bus. We take the rows of seat behind the seats with "reserved" signs for guests with disabilities. Some other people board, then here comes The Couple who board the bus and promptly toss the "reserved" signs on the floor and plop themselves into those seats.

Then throughout the week on the cruise, we saw this couple exhibit more bad/entitled behavior. Shoving past people who had been waiting for elevators and making sure they always board first (Saw this a lot because OF COURSE their cabins were on the same floor as ours). Shoving past people who were waiting for restaurants to open for dinner and making sure they were the first ones seated (OF COURSE they were on the same dining rotation as us), shoving to the front of people waiting for shows and making sure they get in first. Once they were already on an elevator and we got on and the Wife YELLED that she was getting off at whatever floor......seemingly angry that we had dared step into the elevator and "block" her in? Thats she had to share? I don't even know. There were more examples...literally every time we saw them, they were just acting entitled and inconsiderate. They were just a pair of nasty old jerks.

My husband had once mentioned to me that it was odd that if we saw someone who was belligerent at the beginning of the cruise, we always seemed to see them during the whole cruise. But I think it's likely because they really stand out. I'm sure we're not the only ones who seemed to always see them.

I really do wish we notice the people who are considerate a lot more. In the past few years, I've been trying to notice them. I think it started when this lovely couple came up to us after our dinner in Citricos to let our kids know they were very well behaved. It was really nice of them and I've done that a couple of times, especially when I know the kids would love to hear it. I knew as a parent, I really appreciated it. Although I did make sure that I was never intrusive...that would not be nice.

However, I have noticed that I try to ignore kids who are not behaving well. I just don't want them to have the satisfaction of getting my attention. In one instance, our DCL server was trying to get through the 4 children running around the table at the table next to us. It was not her table. The mother looked over at us and said something to the effect of "kids are kids"...I just ignored her...I know I wanted to say something, but I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of me saying anything to her to let her know in any way that she and her family was not disruptive to the whole area.

Last edited:
My husband had once mentioned to me that it was odd that if we saw someone who was belligerent at the beginning of the cruise, we always seemed to see them during the whole cruise. But I think it's likely because they really stand out. I'm sure we're not the only ones who seemed to always see them.

Yeah. Probably because you've already noticed them you're more likely to "recognize" them later.

Yeah. Probably because you've already noticed them you're more likely to "recognize" them later.

Exactly....and I wish I didn't. It does affect my enjoyment since it's not just a one time behaviour (as was posted)...if I saw them being considerate, I would likely forget the first instance since it may have been a mistake...

I think there can sometimes be a fine line between recognizing poor behavior and passing judgement on others that have issues we may not be aware of. Sort of like the mom with the screaming kid in the grocery store. Do we want to assume that the child is just an out of control brat being spoiled by their parents, or might it be something completely different. We don't know the story for everyone and while I don't think that means any of us should just accept all behaviors, I do think we need to be careful passing judgement on the character of the individuals.

As for the original poster, there is no excuse whatsoever for death threats, but if the husband behaved that badly then it may be an abusive relationship and the wife was lashing out in an awkward form of self defense. One place where she can have control and they can have solidarity. I'm not saying that's the case and I don't want anyone to feel like I'm accusing anyone of being abusive. I'm saying, we don't know. We don't know anything about them. While we can certainly comment on the behavior and discuss ways in which we can deal with that behavior as guests offended by it, let's not make assumptions about the individuals or their story.

Remember, someone taking a handicap parking space that has a placard, has it for a reason, even if it looks like they are perfectly normal.

I would make the argument that price of the vacation can lead to more of this behavior. As DCL goes from expensive to unreasonably expensive to insane, the pressure to have the "best vacation ever" intensifies for more and more of the people on board. In my opinion the increased pricing puts pressure on more and more families (especially the person paying) to have everything perfect, and shorten the fuse if anything goes wrong. If the DCL is basically going to be the most expensive vacation ever for a person, it puts tons of pressure on them and this type of boorish behavior will be more common.

I would make the argument that price of the vacation can lead to more of this behavior. As DCL goes from expensive to unreasonably expensive to insane, the pressure to have the "best vacation ever" intensifies for more and more of the people on board. In my opinion the increased pricing puts pressure on more and more families (especially the person paying) to have everything perfect, and shorten the fuse if anything goes wrong. If the DCL is basically going to be the most expensive vacation ever for a person, it puts tons of pressure on them and this type of boorish behavior will be more common.

I think in some cases it might play a role and impact expectations.

I'll never forget that on our first DCL cruise, a guy made a scene because they couldn't light his cigar right away when "he had paid thousands of dollars to be on this cruise". (I think he said 4000$ --for a 3 nights cruise-- if I remember correctly).

The price people paid tends to be mentionned a lot during complaints.

A few years ago, I was sitting at EPCOT when I heard a couple bickering. Their son, who was maybe 10 if I had to guess, wanted another plush. The mom wanted to get it for him, the dad did not. "And just what the hell is he gonna do with it? CUDDLE with it?" the dad yelled at the mom, as if it's abhorrent for a boy to want a plush, or to cuddle with one. The two just went on and on fighting with each other in front of the boy, who just wanted a plush.

While we're talking sunscreen, I highly encourage people to learn about what sunscreens are reef safe and which are bad for ocean life. In general, the "old school" mineral sunscreens are safe for oceans, and while they take a little more work to rub in, I find they work a lot better on my very pale, sunburn-prone, casper the friendly ghost skin!

Consumer Reports recently reported that many mineral sunscreens are not as effective as chemical sunscreens, failing to meet the SPF on their labels. That kind of puts consumers in a difficult position between mineral sunscreens that are better for the environment, and even safer for our skin vs effectiveness.

(...)

Consumer Reports recently reported that many mineral sunscreens are not as effective as chemical sunscreens, failing to meet the SPF on their labels. That kind of puts consumers in a difficult position between mineral sunscreens that are better for the environment, and even safer for our skin vs effectiveness.

I use reef safe sunscreen (when I swim) but on top of that, I wear UV clothes.

Adios sexy bikinis... But now I don't burn like a lobster.

Really. The academic studies I have read concluded that bad behavior is not becoming more common. In fact behavior is improving.

I wish they would conduct these studies at WDW. We've been vacationing at WDW for many years now. My children thought they lived there when they were younger. :-)

We have started changing our vacation habits and doing more Disney vacations that are not in WDW like DCL cruises, Aulani, Vero, Disneyland etc because we felt more and more rude and obnoxious people are visiting WDW...and it's not just the busy times either. For the last few years, we've been spending less time at the parks than the resorts. My children notice it...something we don't want them to experience.

I do wish people's behaviour would improve...just not seeing it in WDW.

Burkinis are a thing. :)

I saw one on our last cruise and I was a bit jealous.

Burkinis are a thing. :)

I saw one on our last cruise and I was a bit jealous.

I'm jealous of anyone who has a bathing suit covering most of their body. Right now I'm just wearing UV t-shirts and shorts but I'm shopping for something that would cover me more.

Last edited:

I've been wearing rash guards and bathing shorts ever since I can remember. 20 yrs ago it was difficult to find them, I would have to go to scuba shops to get something similar to it. Now it's everywhere and in every style...so glad since I've been mistaken for a life guard lots of times with my rash guard...

So...I never really had sexy bikinis:)...

Yes, this. On another message line involving manners and etiquette one poster said almost exactly that - something like "I paid a lot of money for this cruise and I'm going to do whatever I want." And I'm sure that is what they are teaching their children. Sad.

I suppose, and I'm sure they paid a lot for the cruise, but we all did too...so why are we not all rude and belligerent?

A one time event can happen, but if someone behaves poorly for the whole cruise, I don't think we can blame stress. I have learned that some people are just not nice.

Remember, someone taking a handicap parking space that has a placard, has it for a reason, even if it looks like they are perfectly normal.

I wanted to point out just how important this statement is. I used to be super judgey about this but then I got married. My wife has a cousin looks like a perfectly healthy, lovely young woman - very pretty, looked like there was absolutely nothing wrong with her. She's 20 years old, and has a condition that affects one of her knees. Basically the bone around the joint is almost like jello. Basically not solid at all. She has to wear a knee brace 90% of the time and is in serious pain. She has a handicap placard in her car so that she doesn't have to walk so far from the parking lot. The thing is that she has a normal looking walk - she doesn't limp or anything. So to any onlooker it looks like she borrowed grandma's car and thought "I'm going to be a jerk and park in the handicapped space just because I can". She helped me learn to stop thinking stuff like that about people parking in handicapped spaces or using those electric carts when there's nothing obviously wrong with them. People don't always wear their pain where we can see it.

I suppose, and I'm sure they paid a lot for the cruise, but we all did too...so why are we not all rude and belligerent?

A one time event can happen, but if someone behaves poorly for the whole cruise, I don't think we can blame stress. I have learned that some people are just not nice.

My guess is that some can afford it more easily than others. When it's harder on your budget, the pressure to make it a success is greater because you won't necessarily be able to come back soon.

That being said, there are rich people who act like jerks and act like they are entitled.

My guess is that some can afford it more easily than others. When it's harder on your budget, the pressure to make it a success is greater because you won't necessarily be able to come back soon.

That being said, there are rich people who act like jerks and act like they are entitled.

Yeah... In my experience working in a hotel, the people for whom money is no issue are more likely to play the entitled "Do you know who I am?????" card. Those who scrimp and save are the "I paid this much money, I will do what I want" kind who also expect perfection which is never going to happen. Especially when traveling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter