Books in the Cove Cafe??

Girl of the South

DIS Veteran
There used to be a Library on the Disney ships - with books and games, puzzles. I just read there is a library on the Wish but I think it's for kids and might not have 'real books'. When I did a TransAtlantic cruise a few years back, there was a little shelf with magazines and maybe 15 novels that looked like people had 'donated' them. Anyone notice if those are still there? I figure it was deemed 'unsanitary' during Covid. Magazines in doctors offices are pretty much gone, too. Sadly.

Our youngest forgot a book on our last cruise on the Wish. We tried to located a book and were told, "this is not a reading ship." I'm not sure what that means, but it was a bummer. I guess it means shame on us for forgetting something to read.

Not sure if there is an official policy one way or another, but we were on the Magic 10/31-11/7 and there were definitely some books in the Cove Cafe, under the TV. My wife works in book publishing and brought some books specifically to leave there, as she has done on many other cruises. We noticed during the cruise that her books had been taken and others had been left, so people were definitely using it a book swap. Again, not sure whether DCL has a policy or not, but nobody stopped her from leaving books there.

"Not a reading ship"??? What does that mean? On my TransAtlantic in 2018 I read 6 books on the crossing. Hey, some people like to read. I hate not having something, anything!, to read! Yes! it was the Magic that had the little sharing 'library'.

If "Fish Extenders" are allowed, certainly we could find a little spot in the Cove Cafe - even just a box (I can make signs) - for "Books at Sea"? One of those little lending library things? Take one, leave one? I'm talking maybe 2 feet of shelf space?

Does anyone else think it would be nice? You could leave magazines you were done with and books . . . I think it would be a fun little movement to start??? It could extend to Young Adult books but I don't think we need kids books? I mean, I'd start with adult books? Kids aren't allowed in the Cove Cafe, are they???

"Not a reading ship"??? What does that mean? On my TransAtlantic in 2018 I read 6 books on the crossing. Hey, some people like to read. I hate not having something, anything!, to read! Yes! it was the Magic that had the little sharing 'library'.

If "Fish Extenders" are allowed, certainly we could find a little spot in the Cove Cafe - even just a box (I can make signs) - for "Books at Sea"? One of those little lending library things? Take one, leave one? I'm talking maybe 2 feet of shelf space?

Does anyone else think it would be nice? You could leave magazines you were done with and books . . . I think it would be a fun little movement to start??? It could extend to Young Adult books but I don't think we need kids books? I mean, I'd start with adult books? Kids aren't allowed in the Cove Cafe, are they???
Makes more sense to me than those ducks people leave behind.

Our youngest forgot a book on our last cruise on the Wish. We tried to located a book and were told, "this is not a reading ship." I'm not sure what that means, but it was a bummer. I guess it means shame on us for forgetting something to read.
That's weird. On the Wonder a few weeks ago there were several people reading in lounge chairs in front of the Cove Cafe. As others have mentioned, it would be cool if they had a free book library where you could leave a book/take one.

OK, let me see what I can do - since there seems to be something on the Magic, and I am sailing on the Fantasy, soon, I'll see if I can find some books to donate and maybe make a little sign, some bookmarks. THANKS to Mrs. Disruptor32 for donating books to the Magic. I'll post another thread asking people on the Dec. 3rd Fantasy cruise to bring a book to share if they want!

No ducks . . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter