Booking trip overlapping use years

Bexx

DIS Veteran
I would just like to double check that this is okay.

I have a June use year and I want to book a two week trip starting on May 22nd and finishing 5th June 2021

I will have 208 points left in my 2020 use year and from then on my full allocation of 250 points.

The May nights will need 362 points. So I use the 208 from 2020 and borrow the remaining 154 from 2021.

The June nights will be 144 points. So I can then use the remaining 96 points from 2021 and borrow the rest from 2022, yes?

Should know what I'm doing after nearly 18 years, but just want to be sure!! TIA :)

Yes, you can do this, However, to book a trip that crosses a UY, it has to be done by calling, unless you book it as two different reservations, which means having two different booking windows,

So, you can book the first 7 nights online. Then, you can wait some days and call MS to finish up since that is why you will cross the UY.

Just a reminder, that if you had to cancel or change that trip, any 2021 points you borrow to cover those May nights will expire May 31st, 2021..
which means theyd be lost, unless you cancel far enough in advance that you book another trip prior to May.

Borrowing is a final transaction and once you move points from 2021 UY to the 2020 UY, they are stuck there.

Thank you Sandi

Yes, I am aware of the pitfalls of borrowing, and the probability that I will need to call MS at some point. I just wanted to check that I could definitely use my points in this way and I wasn't just making things up to suit my needs!!

Yes, you have discovered one of the things DVC never tells- or they never did when I bought in- that you actually have the ability to access 4 years' worth of points you can use for a vacation- not 3- if you book straddling the Use Year like this.

Yes, you have discovered one of the things DVC never tells- or they never did when I bought in- that you actually have the ability to access 4 years' worth of points you can use for a vacation- not 3- if you book straddling the Use Year like this.

Very true. I would venture to guess though that it isn't promoted due to the big risk it involves in losing a lot of points if something happens.

But, if one has a special trip planned and that’s when it is, then it is a way to get more points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter