Booking Question

Magnetgirl25

Earning My Ears
Good Morning Everyone,
I am anxious to start planning our next Disney Trip. This time we are going to be bringing our camper along. YEAH!!!! My question for those of you that have camped at Fort Wilderness in the past. Is it any cheaper to go through AAA or is the cost the same if you book through the Disney Website? I didn't know if there are different prices if you go through different vendors as if you are staying at a hotel on site. Thanks in advance for your help. If you did find that it was cheaper to go through AAA or someone else who did you find to be the cheapest? Thanks so much!!!

It's the same price, Disney no longer has a partnership with AAA. My understanding is that discounts at Fort Wilderness campsites are rare.

Good Morning Everyone,
I am anxious to start planning our next Disney Trip. This time we are going to be bringing our camper along. YEAH!!!! My question for those of you that have camped at Fort Wilderness in the past. Is it any cheaper to go through AAA or is the cost the same if you book through the Disney Website? I didn't know if there are different prices if you go through different vendors as if you are staying at a hotel on site. Thanks in advance for your help. If you did find that it was cheaper to go through AAA or someone else who did you find to be the cheapest? Thanks so much!!!

As pp said, the prices are the same. The last 15% AAA discount I got on our campsite was April '13 - haven't been back since then, but they have discontinued those discounts. There hasn't been any other discounts recently to my knowledge - we have ressies in two weeks, but, alas, not discounted in any way! ;-(

As pp said, the prices are the same. The last 15% AAA discount I got on our campsite was April '13 - haven't been back since then, but they have discontinued those discounts. There hasn't been any other discounts recently to my knowledge - we have ressies in two weeks, but, alas, not discounted in any way! ;-(

We also checked back before we booked out trip that is 18 days from now and no discounts thru AAA. So I just booked online.

Sorry, Magnetgirl25, but the Fort and Disney have been cutting back on discounts or any kind of reduced rates for the campsites.

It's supply-and-demand at work. The last time they added a significant number of campsites was in 1977. Since then the "demand" for campsites has increased as population increased and the boomers started to retire and wanted to winter in Florida (can't say as I blame them), Disney management has realized they don't need discounts or lower rates to fill the campsites today. The "supply" of campsites hasn't changed since 1977 (not counting the few infills they added to the 600 loop a few years ago). When supply is fixed and demand goes up, simple economics tells you the price goes up (the management interns in the WDW bunker have FINALLY learned this lesson).

The cabins are a different story given their price point.

So that means that the rack rate (published daily rate) for any time period is the best you can do. And given the demand, the Fort has raised (and raised and raised...) rates over the last few years including the weekend extra fee. Personally, I've done what I can by staying off-site nearby the night before at less than $30 per night and checking into the Fort early in the morning like 830am (subject to availability of course).

Given the high occupancy rates at the Fort, they could add more "supply" and still not cut too far into their "demand" to have to lower rates. I suggest to them (wait......they monitor this board.....let them find their pencil.....) that they build some extra long pull through sites across the main road from the Fort. (between the Fort and the EPCOT parking lot). Charge a higher rate, build it near the Pet Kennel (a walking trail perhaps back and forth). They could leverage the Fort infrastructure (staff, carts, facilities) just across the road, the pet kennel nearby, and take some load off the "Classic Fort" capacity.

It's a huge win-Win-WIN.

Just sayin'.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Sorry, Magnetgirl25, but the Fort and Disney have been cutting back on discounts or any kind of reduced rates for the campsites.

It's supply-and-demand at work. The last time they added a significant number of campsites was in 1977. Since then the "demand" for campsites has increased as population increased and the boomers started to retire and wanted to winter in Florida (can't say as I blame them), Disney management has realized they don't need discounts or lower rates to fill the campsites today. The "supply" of campsites hasn't changed since 1977 (not counting the few infills they added to the 600 loop a few years ago). When supply is fixed and demand goes up, simple economics tells you the price goes up (the management interns in the WDW bunker have FINALLY learned this lesson).

The cabins are a different story given their price point.

So that means that the rack rate (published daily rate) for any time period is the best you can do. And given the demand, the Fort has raised (and raised and raised...) rates over the last few years including the weekend extra fee. Personally, I've done what I can by staying off-site nearby the night before at less than $30 per night and checking into the Fort early in the morning like 830am (subject to availability of course).

Given the high occupancy rates at the Fort, they could add more "supply" and still not cut too far into their "demand" to have to lower rates. I suggest to them (wait......they monitor this board.....let them find their pencil.....) that they build some extra long pull through sites across the main road from the Fort. (between the Fort and the EPCOT parking lot). Charge a higher rate, build it near the Pet Kennel (a walking trail perhaps back and forth). They could leverage the Fort infrastructure (staff, carts, facilities) just across the road, the pet kennel nearby, and take some load off the "Classic Fort" capacity.

It's a huge win-Win-WIN.

Just sayin'.

Bama Ed,

You are correct there, RV and camping are up something like 600 percent over the last few years as families figure out it is a good way in some places cheaper way to go. Being that myself and the wife are involved in State Parks, we look at all the demographics and surveys when deciding what changes to propose. If Disney has not expanded the Fort since 1977 chances are they are actually missing out on money they could be making. I know infrastructure proposals are always a tough sell to management as it also involves a big chunk of capitol on the front end. Maybe one day they will expand.

Bama Ed

Sorry, Magnetgirl25, but the Fort and Disney have been cutting back on discounts or any kind of reduced ratm

Given the high occupancy rates at the Fort, they could add more "supply" and still not cut too far into their "demand" to have to lower rates. I suggest to them (wait......they monitor this board.....let them find their pencil.....) that they build some extra long pull through sites across the main road from the Fort. (between the Fort and the EPCOT parking lot). Charge a higher rate, build it near the Pet Kennel (a walking trail perhaps back and forth). They could leverage the Fort infrastructure (staff, carts, facilities) just across the road, the pet kennel nearby, and take some load off the "Cl

It's a huge win-Win-WIN.

Just sayin'.

Bama Ed

What a great idea Bama Ed. I would be first in line to rent a space behind the pet kennel and just walk my dog over in the morning to go to a park!

Bama Ed,

Your idea makes way too much sense. I'm afraid it's doomed though. The only new resort construction seems to be DVC.... Wait... you better go back and delete you post or else we will have a Fort Wilderness DVC across from the main entrance. :)

Then again, if that frees up a few hundred sites for the rest of us.

j

That DVC for the Fort has been discussed before, even with some "possible" plans that were shown to be near and on the old River Country site. Personally, I think that would be a good spot to put in some more sites. I mean sites that sit on the lake...now that would be totally cool! Getting to watch the fireworks from your chair at your campsite, think of how cool that could be!

That DVC for the Fort has been discussed before, even with some "possible" plans that were shown to be near and on the old River Country site. Personally, I think that would be a good spot to put in some more sites. I mean sites that sit on the lake...now that would be totally cool! Getting to watch the fireworks from your chair at your campsite, think of how cool that could be!

Lakefront sites would be really cool, we have them here where I work and they are always full. Of course we don't have anyone shooting fireworks over the lake. Would like a site with not only fireworks, but maybe a view of the Castle from your site. But alas it is just a 'Figment of My Imagination':figment:.

That DVC for the Fort has been discussed before, even with some "possible" plans
I remember the Fort DVC that was rumored a few years ago and the permits/plans that someone posted. Those were actual buildings though. From the plans, they looked like a mix of what Poly is putting in with rooms over the water and some higher buildings. I was thinking an actual campground spot that was sold like DVC. Our luck, they would do what they are doing at WL and take existing loops, converting them into DVC.

But I agree about adding more camping loops over in the old River Country spot. Those would be amazing. Incredible view, close to the bus depot and the Settlement. I'm sure they'd come up with a new site price level. "Supreme"?

j

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all your replies! This will help me greatly when I go to make the reservations!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter