Booking Our First Trip To OKW Tomorrow

Snakebit12

Earning My Ears
I have been an avid reader of this board since we started thinking about DVC a few months back. We are very excited!

Now that we've joined, we are planning our first trip for next May. I could use some help on choosing a location at OKW.

We are not avid golfers and will have at least 5 teenagers with us (OMG!!). They will be more interested in the theme parks (and other teenagers) so being close to transportation and the social center of the resort would be nice.

Is it quieter to be on the top floor? Are there certain buildings which are better/worse than others? Anybody with teens who can provide some advice?

Any and all help would be most appreciated.

John

91 - Polynesian
02 - OKW!!

We always ask for non-smoking, top floor, near the main building.

We don't always get what we want, but it's been pretty good.

Fair warning: the top floor is great, but, at the end of a looong day, that last flight of steps is a killer.

BTW, I have 3 teens, and they don't care where the room is as long as they're in WDW.:D

Hi snakebit. We really enjoy the top floor because it is quieter, but those stairs do get a bit rough after a long day. With 5 teens though, that shouldn't be much or a problem for you.

IMHO, there isn't much of a social center at OKW. But, the bus stops are close to every building, making getting to the parks pretty easy. Also, again IMHO, getting to the main area is a pleasant walk from whatever building you stay in.

Be sure to post your comments when you get back from your trip. It's always fun to here what first timers think.

Have a great trip.

I always request the top floor too - the sound of the toilet flushing in the middle of the night wakes me up every time! Sounds like a jet engine!

I call them the turbo pottys. However, after a long day in the park, it takes more than a potty to wake me up. :)

With 5 teenagers you may want to be more concerned with how much noise they might make. If you're sure they'll be quiet then, the top floor will be quiet for you. But if you're worried about noise, imagine what would happen if you had 5 noisy teenagers above you. I know I always worry about this when I make my reservations and I only have 2 children that I bring with me and they're almost always well behaved, but I know I'd feel terrible if they were making a lot of noise late at night or early in the morning and woke up the people below us.

You may be lucky and have 5 perfectly behaved teenagers, but it is just something to think about.

I'm sorry Snakebit12, but I had to laugh when I read your post--with 5 teenagers in tow; and you're worried about other people's noise???;)

Not to make any generalizations about your teenagers; but five teenagers, under the best of circumstances, can be noisy (it grows expodentially I think)--under the worst of circumstances--can become a real irritant to someone else's vacation (this is the voice of experience speaking--I was one of those obnoxious teenagers not that long ago). You really never realize how much loud voices, running, doors slamming, etc., carries in a condo type environment until you experience it--especially since OKW is known for being more peaceful and quiet.

And, of course, you want everyone in your party to enjoy themselves and not be restrained by the location of the room. JMHO, but I think putting 5 teenagers and yourselves on a top floor is just asking for phone calls from the front desk.....but only you are the best judge of that.

My advice: pick something near the main pool/Hospitality House area and not too far from a bus stop. Request any floor you want, but remember those of us who have now grown up (and trying to keep their kids under control) may be in the room below or next to you! :D

On Our recent OKW trip we heard nothing from the room above until the 4th night!
We wondered whether it had been empty or REALLY quiet people. The folks we heard had several small kids who jumped around alot. They weren't wild but we were aware of their constant movement. When we sat on the deck we felt like we were in a potato chip storm. They must have fed the entire bag to the ducks and rabbits that one afternoon. Of course it was the one afternoon we attempted to relax on the deck!!

Linda

Thanks for all of the advice. To anyone who ends up in the room below us, I will keep those teens on a short leash! (Actually, they are very well behaved).

This is a great forum - keep up the good work.

Can't wait until next May!

Just another suggestion to think about....Since DD has a lot of things teens and young adults are interested in. Why not request something at Southpoint so they can take the walk way to Downtown Disney. When we have had teens with us, that is their favorite thing to do.

I would request a unit in one of the newer buildings...I think they're number 62,63. They have an elevator to the upper floors, and are within walking distance to the main area where the big pool, restaurant,gift shop etc is. There's a bus stop at the main area as well, and the boat launch to take the boat to DD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter