• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booking Grand Californian at 7 months

Suzanne_P

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are considering buying into DVC. My only hesitation is that we go to Disneyland way more than Disney world, how likely is it that we would be able to book VGC at the 7 month window? We usually vacation in early October, December (not Christmas), January, and February. I would just buy VGC points but it seems they are impossible to find and they cost so much more!

I'm pretty sure, and those more knowledgeable than me will correct me, that VGC is nearly impossible to book in the 7 month window.

Not impossible, but very difficult. If you want to stay at VGC primarily, you should buy there.

Would it make a difference if we would be booking a 2 bedroom, not a studio? Or is everything booked by then? Guess we will keep an eye out for VGC resale.

VGC is very small. Even with larger units, you're dealing with the fact that there just aren't a lot of anything.

There are 23 lock-off 2BRs, 23 dedicated 2BRs and 2 GVs. So, sure, the chances are arguably better for a 2BR, but they still stink.

We were able to book 5 nights at a GCV studio for February 2018 at 7 months. But we had to be flexible on our dates and VERY fast at the exact moment the 7 month booking window opened. In fact, we tried for the day before and saw availability, but by the time I clicked it, it was gone. The next day I was a bit faster and got what I wanted (No time for reading! just CLICK!).
If I wanted to stay more than 5 nights, it would have been even harder. There is availability at 7 months but will likely be fragmented. I felt lucky to be able to have gotten 5 consecutive days.

It’s very hard. We have gotten shut out at 7 months on both our trips but got very lucky with waitlists that came through for both - 3 nights in August, 4 nights in April.

I’m shocked our two waitlists were successful.

I would try to wait for a good VGC resale contract. The last thing you want is to purchase elsewhere only to find that you can never book at the resort you want to go to the most.

That said, I booked at the 7 month mark for our upcoming August trip quite easily. I booked a 1 bdrm which is probably easier than a studio. That is my only experience at VGC.

We go to both DL and WDW about once a year. I am so happy I primarily purchased at GCV. I haven't had trouble booking at WDW resort at 7 months. You may not get your first choice WDW resort or room category, but there will be rooms available somewhere at 7 months.

If you are ok booking one bedrooms and do not care at all when you go, you can sometimes book 1 bedrooms at GCV at 7 months. I have booked one bedrooms there at 6-7 months out myself because I didn't plan enough in advance. I think early Dec would be hard to get at 7 months, that is a popular DVC time because there are holiday decorations, lighter crowds and you use less points than going closer to Christmas/New Years.

In summary: buy GCV if you want to stay there, you get what you pay for :rotfl2:

I think flexibility (dates/size of room etc) is the name of the game at GCV. We own at Aulani but live on the West coast and love the Grand! Haven't tried booking there yet -we were just there in December and I shudder when I think what we paid for 3 nights in the lowest category room at the Grand :rolleyes1 Would love to stay there as DVC for future trips but I think it's going to have to come with a lot of 'book the hotel first when you see a room, worry about the flight later' mentality on our part :rotfl2:

I was only able to book a 1 bedroom at VGC at the 7 month window for 3 days in February. The availability was gone within a minute after it opened up. I agree with other posters...buy where you want to stay.

5 years ago we were able to get a studio for 9 nights in late April (we own BCV) at exactly the 7 month window.

This year, same week in late April - no studios or one bedrooms available at exactly 7 months. We were able to book a dedicated 2 bedroom for 4 nights, and I consider that very lucky with how that resort fills up.

The nice thing about VGC is it's pretty easy for most times of the year to book at 11 months. But if it's where you want to visit most of the time you would likely be pulling your hair out counting on the 7 month window for several trips a year. Can you book it at 7 months? Yes but it WILL be stressful if you're counting on it.

It is very doable. We have stayed at VGC twice once in a Studio and the other time in a 2 bedroom (both times had a great view of PP, but that has nothing to do with booking but more getting our requests granted). Both times I called MS right when it opened and was able to book it, and both were for early June stays.

I own both at GCV and SSR. I need to use my SSR points at the GCV. So I experience both ends of the spectrum. I usually use my GCV points for the my family's annual December trip. Have got to have that reservation. Or for the Moonlight Madness night.

As for my SSR points at 7 months, it can be tricky. I had a waitlist for early Aug just come through for my adult DD's birthday (two nights, a Monday check in, a Wednesday check out). I requested the waitlist in February.

Another waitlist for September came through within days of a the request, because it was just one night. I was able to book one night in September that was available but the next night was not. I waitlisted the next night and got it within two days. That request was made in March.

This year, I wanted a three day October trip and wanted to use my SSR points. I wanted to check in on the 15th, out on the 17th. Woke up at 4:45 am (West Coast time) on March 14 and booked on the website for the 14th to 17th (to insure I got the 15th to 17th.) I dropped the night of the 14th later. (Hopefully someone had their waitlist come through).

In the fall through the end of the year (and other high volume times of the year) some days will book beyond the exact day at 7 months, since members can book, I think, 5 days at a time. Starting early March, I just had to keep checking how the days were being booked to keep track if that was going to effect my dates. In this case, it did so I booked the extra day.

BTW, we usually only book a one bedroom. Except for the Moonlght Madness dates. We got a two bedroom for that one.

It is very difficult at 7 months. Even though GCV contracts sell at a premium, they are definitely worth it if mainly using for dl.

we've booked in october before at 7 months. was able to only get a 1 bedroom for 3 days. studios were gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter