Booking a flight for January now?

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide if I should book a flight for my planned January trip now or wait. I know Delta is letting you have changes/cancellations if you book before the end of July, which I'd like to take advantage of. But Google Flights is telling me that prices are high for my trip (272 round trip at my preferred time/Delta, basic economy).

Thoughts on booking now or waiting? Are folks still proceeding to book flights planning on traveling next year?

Airfare prices are typically lower on a Tuesday. I'd try again tomorrow and go to Delta direct as well to see if there is a difference booking with them direct.

You've got some time, I'd track the price daily for the next week so you can see the fluctuation. Typically, Fridays are the highest.

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide if I should book a flight for my planned January trip now or wait. I know Delta is letting you have changes/cancellations if you book before the end of July, which I'd like to take advantage of. But Google Flights is telling me that prices are high for my trip (272 round trip at my preferred time/Delta, basic economy).

Thoughts on booking now or waiting? Are folks still proceeding to book flights planning on traveling next year?
It’s a win win if you book now. We did exactly the same thing for flights up to NJ for Xmas. United offered no changes/cancellation if booked by June 30th..have no idea what Covid situation will be and if we want to fly at that time, but if we don’t, United can issue a credit to be used for a future booking, to be used 1yr from date of tooling, if we feel that safety is in jjeapordy, then there will be no fee for change or cancellation. In fact, we booked about2 weeks ago, flight per person went down on Sat, called United and they issued us a travel certificate, to be used in next 24 mo this, not bad I caught a price decrease of $60 per ticket, SS I saved $f20 for DH and me!

FWIW, I am planning to go to Disney in April and we already booked flights.

It was about $300 per person, which last time we flew it was about $650 per person. On top of that, they had some special savers for using your miles. I have a ton of miles so we were able to book all flights (6 of us) with Miles. Roundtrip each flight was 25k miles, compared to 80k miles last year.

That was on United. So.... We booked very early, but we saw the prices as a really good deal. Plus the 'no change fee' takes out the risk.

I appreciate everyone's response. I went ahead and booked, although I'm questioning my decision :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have flights booked for next year. It's for Disney World, which I feel very confident will be open. I wouldn't book flights now for a cruise or a European vacation for next year, though, as that kind of travel is still very uncertain.

I am trying to decide if I should book Hawaiian Airlines for Aulani next year - I have a credit now for the cancelled trip this past June and I can book my flights for next summer in a few weeks, but the current cost is way more than I originally paid. I am trying to decide if I should buy the tickets as soon as I can or wait to see if the price comes down. I have been putting in different dates for next April, May and June to see a price, as a ballpark figure and they are way higher than I originally paid. Anyone have any thoughts on what they would do if they were in my shoes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter