• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booked resort stay with gift cards

married2mm

DIS Veteran
If/when cancelling...

Is there any chance we could obtain actual $’s refunded?

Or, I’m guessing if paid with gc
Credited onto gc 🤔

I thought as much.
Oh well; shall be our future trips spending money.
We're in the same boat. Paid for our whole trip with Disney Gift cards bought through Target for the 5% off. Guess we will have $5K for a future trip if our trip does't happen in 68 days. I have never paid for my package with giftcards, but decided to do it this year to save money. Now part of me is wishing I didn't in case things get really bad and we need the cash!

And remember, if you paid with gift cards, any refund will go back onto those exact same gift cards. Hopefully, you have saved those cards, or at least wrote down the numbers (including the security codes for each card).

Steve

Last year I had to rebook a trip that I had originally paid for with gift cards. It was the first time I had ever used Disney gift cards for a trip and I didn't keep them. When I rebooked, they simply transferred by payments to the new reservation but if I had been looking for a refund instead, it would have been very difficult because I did not keep the gift cards.

I have two grand on a DGcard that my 2021 cruise is booked on. I did great, I have that gift card put up nice and safe. But I put two grand on it. The gift cards are only suppose to hold a max of 1,000. So if I need to cancel the cruise I don't know if they will put the whole amount onto the original gift card and mail me another one with 1,000 on it or what. Can't believe I did this.

Last year I had to rebook a trip that I had originally paid for with gift cards. It was the first time I had ever used Disney gift cards for a trip and I didn't keep them. When I rebooked, they simply transferred by payments to the new reservation but if I had been looking for a refund instead, it would have been very difficult because I did not keep the gift cards.

if you or anyone else no longer has the gift card for payment, when a refund is required, tell the Disney CM that you no longer have the original form of payment and they will send you new gift cards.

I have two grand on a DGcard that my 2021 cruise is booked on. I did great, I have that gift card put up nice and safe. But I put two grand on it. The gift cards are only suppose to hold a max of 1,000. So if I need to cancel the cruise I don't know if they will put the whole amount onto the original gift card and mail me another one with 1,000 on it or what. Can't believe I did this.

they should mail you a second one with $1000 on it

if you or anyone else no longer has the gift card for payment, when a refund is required, tell the Disney CM that you no longer have the original form of payment and they will send you new gift cards.

Yes, they CAN do this, but it is not policy and won't happen if you cancel on-line. You have to explicitly ask for it (generally at the time of cancellation). Unlikely to get any pushback under the current conditions, but in the past, not all CMs were willing to do this (or didn't know they could), so it it was definitely a YMMV situation.

Steve

Yes, they CAN do this, but it is not policy and won't happen if you cancel on-line. You have to explicitly ask for it (generally at the time of cancellation). Unlikely to get any pushback under the current conditions, but in the past, not all CMs were willing to do this (or didn't know they could), so it it was definitely a YMMV situation.

Steve
It would be my travel agent that would have to cancel it for me, if it ever comes down to that. Hopefully it won't. In a perfect world they would just put the whole two grand on the same gift card. But also in a perfect world, I should have know better than to put more than one grand on one gift card.

We're in the same boat. Paid for our whole trip with Disney Gift cards bought through Target for the 5% off. Guess we will have $5K for a future trip if our trip does't happen in 68 days. I have never paid for my package with giftcards, but decided to do it this year to save money. Now part of me is wishing I didn't in case things get really bad and we need the cash!

OMG this is us exactly!!! I have never paid our trip in gift cards and I thought the same thing, i'll get gift cards from Target and save the money. and now it looks like we are going to wind up cancelling. So I asked our travel agent how this works, because we gave her one card and just kept feeding money to that card . ($5300 total so far) SO she told me that Disney will refund the whole thing to that card, HOWEVER , one card will only load $1000 at a time. So what I have to do is keep tabs on that card (on the gift card site) .....when Disney refunds the first $1000, I have to pull it off that card to another one. Then DIsney automatically refunds the next $1000, I pull that off and put it on another gift card....and so on until our $5300 was refunded. who knew it was going to be this huge a hassle. Although I'm just glad we'll get the entire thing back.
The way we're looking at it is that our 2021 trip will be paid for, so that's awesome..... while we may not be able to go this year, we will try for next year for sure. And who knows, maybe we can ride Tron, Ratatouille, eat at Space 220...... 😵😵😵 (I'm trying to stay positive......)

I’ve learned two things from this:
1. I’m never renting DVC points again.
2. Don’t use gift cards to pay for a trip.
I’m kind of in a pickle with my DVC rental this summer and will probably be out the money. Thank goodness I didn’t start buying gift cards to pay off the balance of the YC portion of our trip. If I had $5000+ in gift cards I’d be sick to my stomach because if we can’t go this summer, I don’t think we’ll get there before 2022, at the earliest.

I just canceled our April trip last night, which I paid using 25 gift cards. I told the rep that I didn't have all the gift cards anymore, so they're emailing me 7 e-gift cards, with a max on $1000 on each.

I wouldn't mind having a lot of money tied up on Disney gift cards as I would use them later on a future trip. It would just be like having a future vacation already paid for. But I would worry if for some reason I couldn't use them or the company went under.

I’ve learned two things from this:
1. I’m never renting DVC points again.
2. Don’t use gift cards to pay for a trip.
I’m kind of in a pickle with my DVC rental this summer and will probably be out the money. Thank goodness I didn’t start buying gift cards to pay off the balance of the YC portion of our trip. If I had $5000+ in gift cards I’d be sick to my stomach because if we can’t go this summer, I don’t think we’ll get there before 2022, at the earliest.
Will you be out the money for the DVC points if it is not open?

I just canceled our April trip last night, which I paid using 25 gift cards. I told the rep that I didn't have all the gift cards anymore, so they're emailing me 7 e-gift cards, with a max on $1000 on each.

That's great! I'm glad they're relaxing their policy a bit in the current situation. If you don't know already, you can transfer the funds on those e-giftcatds to physical ones (assuming you have some) if you'd prefer. You can do that on disneygiftcard.com.

Steve

I rescheduled my April trip to October and I had used all gift cards. The cm transferred the money to my new reservation but I had asked her what would happen if I needed a refund and she said they would refund the cards unless I didn’t have them they would have to send me new ones.

Will you be out the money for the DVC points if it is not open?

I’m not sure. I have talked to the owner and she is willing to work with me, which is awesome. My problem is, I’m a teacher and I can really only travel in the summer. Since our trip is already in August, we’d have to reschedule for next summer, and I’m not sure how that works with her points. Plus, we already have a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons planned for next summer and we really weren’t planning on a trip to Disney. Right now, we are waiting to see how things pan out. We are going to touch base again in a few weeks to evaluate again.

OMG this is us exactly!!! I have never paid our trip in gift cards and I thought the same thing, i'll get gift cards from Target and save the money. and now it looks like we are going to wind up cancelling. So I asked our travel agent how this works, because we gave her one card and just kept feeding money to that card . ($5300 total so far) SO she told me that Disney will refund the whole thing to that card, HOWEVER , one card will only load $1000 at a time. So what I have to do is keep tabs on that card (on the gift card site) .....when Disney refunds the first $1000, I have to pull it off that card to another one. Then DIsney automatically refunds the next $1000, I pull that off and put it on another gift card....and so on until our $5300 was refunded. who knew it was going to be this huge a hassle. Although I'm just glad we'll get the entire thing back.
The way we're looking at it is that our 2021 trip will be paid for, so that's awesome..... while we may not be able to go this year, we will try for next year for sure. And who knows, maybe we can ride Tron, Ratatouille, eat at Space 220...... 😵😵😵 (I'm trying to stay positive......)
Yes, that is what I keep saying that either way if we don't go this year we have our trip paid for already for next year to celebrate the 50th! I don't know in the future if I will tie up this much money in gift cards again since this has been quit an eye opener with everything that is going on. Good luck on yall's trip with whatever is decided and stay safe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter