Booked cruise for Hurricane Season

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
hey

So after booking and cancelling so many times mainly due to costs we have decided to book the eastern carribean cruise on 22nd September 2018

If we don't go then, other months just seems crazy money for us anyway

Just wondering how your cruises have gone around September time ?

Is the ocean normally quite rough during this month? and if so do sea bands actually work lol ?

I take it if there is a storm near by Disney just change where there going rather than cancelling the cruise

After costly flights from the UK the biggest worry would be it getting cancelled as long as that doesn't happen we are happy going to any island lol

If you have any other tips for us just let me no to

Thanks

First off, get trip insurance. Cruising without it is a risk we don't feel is worth it. Second, we have cruised six times during September and October. We have only had one issue and that was last year during Hurricane Mathew. Our cruise got shortened a day (from a 7 to a 6 day), and we changed from an Eastern to a Western. Disney offered us to cancel, get a refund, and 20% off a future sailing or travel and get a refund for the one night we were missing. We opted to go ahead and travel as we had been planning for this and the kids were all about going. Otherwise, never had any weather issues.

What happens if u have a place holder on top then 20 percent off

Ah well hopefully it will be a risk worth taking

Can anyone answer my other questions

We have cruised several times from October through November and we have had a mixed bag but only once was our COMPLETE itinerary changed. That was last October when we were booked from NYC to the Bahamas with a stop at PC and visit to WDW that was completely changed to a Canadian cruise due to a hurricane coming up the coast.

Other times we have missed a port or had a port changed due to weather and one time we had a shortened cruise. And yet other times we have no changes or issues with weather.

I, personally, would not hesitate to sail again during hurricane season. I am actually cruising this October out of NY and again next October out of NY.

It is very rate for DCL to outright cancel a cruise.

Never, ever had to use sea bands or got seasick so can't help with that.

I have never found hurricane season seas to be an rougher than any other times of the year (sans a storm).

MJ

We typically sail within the first 2 weeks of September. We are FL natives and live fairly close to the PC terminal, so we're pretty familiar with tropical thunderstorms and hurricanes ;)
On the last 2 sailings in September, we had "rough" waters on the first sea day of an Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We felt it but didn't bother us at all. Other than that, it's smooth sailing.
The captain does his best to navigate around rainstorms and "rougher" waters as much as possible. You'll notice storms all around the ship when you're looking at the horizon on the top deck!

As @mmouse37 said, it is extremely rare for DCL to cancel a cruise altogether. If and when that happens, they are known to refund fares and offer a % discount towards a future cruise.
With the most recent hurricane, Matthew from last season, see more info w/ DCL here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...cane-matthew-is-affecting-disney-cruise-line/

We're from the UK too and have only ever sailed in September, as we have never sailed at any other time, we don't know the difference haha!

The only time we have felt 'rough seas' is on the last night, when the Captain appears to be getting us back to Port Canaveral on time, and even that felt more like a slight rocking motion for than anything else. On small boats and other cruise lines, I suffer from sea-sickness; however, *touching wood* I have never needed any nausea medication with DCL.

As mentioned by WDWChloe, you can see storms in the distance when you're on the top deck, but on our last cruise Captain Fabian did a fantastic job of avoiding them pixiedust:

We have had more problems with weather at then end of August. Once on a cruise and twice at WDW.

We are sailing first week of October out of NYC to Canada this year and end of October to Bermuda next year. We are hoping for smooth sailing but who knows. We will make the best of it and we know DCL will do the same for us.

Good luck.

We have cruised several times from October through November and we have had a mixed bag but only once was our COMPLETE itinerary changed. That was last October when we were booked from NYC to the Bahamas with a stop at PC and visit to WDW that was completely changed to a Canadian cruise due to a hurricane coming up the coast.

Other times we have missed a port or had a port changed due to weather and one time we had a shortened cruise. And yet other times we have no changes or issues with weather.

I, personally, would not hesitate to sail again during hurricane season. I am actually cruising this October out of NY and again next October out of NY.

It is very rate for DCL to outright cancel a cruise.

Never, ever had to use sea bands or got seasick so can't help with that.

I have never found hurricane season seas to be an rougher than any other times of the year (sans a storm).

MJ

We were on that cruise last year too! It was our first Disney Cruise. We were so sad to be missing Castaway Cay! But, we had a lovely time and practically had the whole ship to ourselves.

Sailed with DCL twice during hurricane season...both cruises were at the beginning of August. The first cruise there were no issues at all...great weather and we made all the ports.

The second cruise was a little different...we were near a tropical storm and had pretty rough seas and had to miss a port. I'm not gonna lie this last cruise wasn't the smoothest and has made me a bit nervous to cruise during hurricane season again. (Just bc I'm an anxious person in general and it really made me nervous/uneasy being pretty close to a major storm)

Just be prepared with sea sickness medication and sea bands and don't get your heart set on one particular port...I did that and was very disappointed when that was the port we had to miss. It doesn't sound like you're dead set on any particular port which is good in case your itinerary changes.

The seas may be a bit rough if there's a tropical storm or hurricane in the area but that can be the case outside of hurricane season too so I wouldn't worry. Just bring along proper medication and sea bands...and yes they do work at least they did for me!:) Have a great cruise and try not to worry! Disney will take great care of you!:)

Just like one of the other posters, we live here (about 3 hours away from PC). Peak of hurrican season is the first week of Sept to the 5th-ish. We are sailing this year on Sept 21st. Not that a storm can't pop up but they'll try to avoid it.
I've sailed in Feb when the seas were rough due to the jet stream changing with the seasonal winds. That was rough. As others have stated, get trip insurance, bring seasick meds (they have them on board too) and you should be good. Enjoy.

We have taken numerous cruises in first week of Sept and never had any issues as a result of bad weather.

I actually loved the combined dining group at 7:30...thought that was a perfect time for dinner...not too early or too late.

MJ
Me too! But, we absolutely fell in love with our servers on the first night. They were beyond sweet and attentive to us. I always read about how attached people become to their servers and couldn't fully understand it to be honest. But, that's what happened to us and it was immediate. They talked about what great care they were going to take of us throughout the whole week. I've been trying like crazy to remember their names. The waiter's was named Alex and I think he was from Russia. I don't remember the assistant server's name. But, on second night we got a new dining rotation and a new team because of the changes and combining all dining. Our new servers were great but we were so sad to not have our first servers anymore. Luckily we got to see our original servers in Cabanas from time to time throughout the week.

hey

So after booking and cancelling so many times mainly due to costs we have decided to book the eastern carribean cruise on 22nd September 2018

If we don't go then, other months just seems crazy money for us anyway

Just wondering how your cruises have gone around September time ?

Is the ocean normally quite rough during this month? and if so do sea bands actually work lol ?

I take it if there is a storm near by Disney just change where there going rather than cancelling the cruise

After costly flights from the UK the biggest worry would be it getting cancelled as long as that doesn't happen we are happy going to any island lol

If you have any other tips for us just let me no to

Thanks

Out of our 13 (soon to be 14 and 15) cruises, we have sailed all but 3 during hurricane season. 6 of those (soon to be 8) have been in September. Get trip insurance for the peace of mind.
We also live in Florida so we know to not worry and stress out 2 to 3 weeks before the cruise as paths of tropical storms and hurricanes change on a dime. For example, Matthew last year was allegedly heading right for the East coast of Florida and did in fact shut down Port Canaveral for a day based on the direction of the Port Authority. As a result a Dream cruise was cancelled and the one out on the sea was diverted to Mexico and got an extra day because they could not dock at PC.
We sailed the week before and missed St. Thomas because of high winds and they could not dock. The cruise after us, got an extra day because of the port closure. :) We did not feel any odd motion and did not need to take Bonine at any time. We also were all the way forward on deck 10.

What happens if u have a place holder on top then 20 percent off

Ah well hopefully it will be a risk worth taking

Can anyone answer my other questions

The 20% would be offered on a future cruise and would replace the 10% discount for booking with a placeholder. You also do not get on board credit if you use the 20% discount on a future cruise.

Oh well hopefully all will be good and will have a great cruise

If the sea if rough am sure caption Micky will have it all under control

We've sailed both in October and in the winter months. I'd take Sept/Oct. months over the winter months any day simply for the warmer ocean water you get! I loved the warmer weather we had in October. We had one sea day where the seas were really rough (pools shut down for a bit) but overall was fine! I totally trust that DCL will keep us out of truly rough water. Definitely make sure you've got insurance and enjoy your cruise! :boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter