Booked but still on the fence?

We're currently booked for July but we're strongly considering cancelling at this point. There's the usual Covid worry for our unvaccinated kids and indoor eating and indoor queues, but the main reason is that with so many shows and parades and fireworks cancelled, and character meetups curtailed, there's really nothing that makes it worth dealing with all that this year instead of just waiting until next year. Especially as it'll be the kids first trip and my SO's first trip in 20 years, so I want them to get the full experience. If we had APs and went all the time then all those things wouldn't be as important. But this is something we figure we'll only do once or twice while they're kids so want to make the most of it when we do go.

I think the lack of restaurant reservations I was able to grab this morning kind of sealed the deal as it was really hard to find anything due to the reduced capacity.

The only real pro I can see of going this year is that lines should be shorter, which is tempting. But at the end of the day I think we'll just do a beach vacation, which we had already booked as Plan B because I had a low confidence we'd actually do a Disney trip this summer even when I booked it. We figure that can be mostly outside and away from crowds inside, and also negligibly impacted by Covid at this point. And Disney will still be there for us next year when we can fully enjoy it. It sucks to cancel two years in a row though.

Last edited:
We're currently booked for July but we're strongly considering cancelling at this point. There's the usual Covid worry for our unvaccinated kids and indoor eating and indoor queues, but the main reason is that with so many shows and parades and fireworks cancelled, and character meetups curtailed, there's really nothing that makes it worth dealing with all that this year instead of just waiting until next year. Especially as it'll be the kids first trip and my SO's first trip in 20 years, so I want them to get the full experience. If we had APs and went all the time then all those things wouldn't be as important. But this is something we figure we'll only do once or twice while they're kids so want to make the most of it when we do go.

I think the lack of restaurant reservations I was able to grab this morning kind of sealed the deal as it was really hard to find anything due to the reduced capacity.

The only real pro I can see of going this year is that lines should be shorter, which is tempting. But at the end of the day I think we'll just do a beach vacation, which we had already booked as Plan B because I had a low confidence we'd actually do a Disney trip this summer even when I booked it. We figure that can be mostly outside and away from crowds inside, and also negligibly impacted by Covid at this point.

I cannot see July being any different than what is currently going on at WDW. IF anything, maybe slightly more open but with the same restrictions for sure. Very doubtful there will be any parades or fireworks, etc. if they won't even commit to those things for the "Halloween Party". I'm optimistic for December, but also somewhat realistic. I just hope Disney is open with information so people can plan accordingly

All over my IG feed during spring break were people in Florida. Not one went to Disney. They all went to universal. I’m actually contemplating booking at universal now since we cancelled Disney for October and doing the HHN. I think outside masks will be gone at universal way before Disney.

I would pick Universal just because they're still using their Express Pass.

Going end of July no matter what. Have already cancelled 2 prior trips. Not looking forward to the weather, but school basically dictates that since they already missed so much time (in NY). Going with the mindset that we are just happy to get out of our county and not going full out theme park nuts. If we only do a few things at each park, we will be happy just to walk around, eat, and swim.

I'm on the fence for booking for Sept. Went in April for 5 nights and really enjoyed it. Not worried about lack of experiences such as FWs or parades or meet and greets as we never did those anyway. Not worried about lack of FP since we rarely used it anyway and I rode everything I wanted to ride and had plenty of time in April. Not worried about food as I plan on going during F&W. The only reason I'm hesitating is the lack of APs. I always buy park hoppers and paying for tickets for two 5 day trips when I could have had an AP that would have covered it and another trip is holding me back. I can afford it, have the time since I only work part time when I want to, don't mind wearing a mask (half the time I forgot I had it on and wore it in my room for awhile). I had an AP for a number of years but the last year I had one I didn't renew as it was actually cheaper for me to buy tickets that year as I didn't have more than 10 days planned for the year. Then Covid hit and I couldn't buy anyway after mine had expired.

We're booked for August and we're going no matter what. It's been two years since our last trip and the Disney withdrawal is real. We're normally frequent visitors and will be happy to just BE there. We'll take it slow and just enjoy our time.

We're booked for August and we're going no matter what. It's been two years since our last trip and the Disney withdrawal is real. We're normally frequent visitors and will be happy to just BE there. We'll take it slow and just enjoy our time.
Same, last time we went was 2019 and we are itching to be there. Booked in December just so it gives the parks enough time to return to some bit of normalcy.... Enjoy your trip!

We are going back for a second time since reopening in a few weeks. If you are people who ride a lot of rides and aren’t focused on the shows, parades, and characters, it’s a great time to go. If the other three things are most important to you, then you are better off waiting. This time isn’t the best time for everyone. It works out well for my family.
That's why we will still go (late Oct). I have two teen boys and they could care less about the shows, parades, etc. But I think I would have canceled if we had a trip planned in the dead of summer - I hate masks in the heat.

That's why we will still go (late Oct). I have two teen boys and they could care less about the shows, parades, etc. But I think I would have canceled if we had a trip planned in the dead of summer - I hate masks in the heat.
I would hate a mask in July/Aug LOL. And I am not a big parade person, but I am a sucker for dessert parties and firework shows....

I would hate a mask in July/Aug LOL. And I am not a big parade person, but I am a sucker for dessert parties and firework shows....
I'm sure everyone knows this but me, but why did they stop doing fireworks anyway? To stop people from gathering?

We felt that if it was going to be that crowded that there is no availability at the moderates, then we would wait.
One big problem with Mods is that Riverside and French Quarter are still closed. No future opening date posted. That is over 3000 rooms.
All Star Music and Sports don't have an opening date either. That's another 3500 rooms.

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone knows this but me, but why did they stop doing fireworks anyway? To stop people from gathering?
I think thats the answer, but also with reduced capacity they would be spending alot for only a few people

One big problem with Mods is that Riverside and French Quarter are still closed. No future opening date posted. That is over 3000 rooms.
All Star Music and Sports don't have an opening date either. That's another 3500 rooms.
I am well aware....all I want is Port Orleans Riverside to open, its a fave of mine for whatever reason LOL. Im currently booked at Caribbean Beach but would switch it in a heartbeat over to POR if they reopen by December

I am both booked and will go and booked and on the fence. I have a trip planned this summer and another one planned for Oct 1. I am 100% going in the summer, but we are on the fence in October. It all depends on current guest limits and if WDW resumes the sake of APs by Oct 1. I'm willing to pay for a 7-day pass for one trip, but I'm really not willing to pay for another 7-day pass for another trip. Also, if WDW increases the limits on capacity then the Oct 1 celebration will be unbearably crowded. I did Christmas one year and I won't go when it's that crowded again!

We are booked for August, as far as I could push it to not overlap with school starting in the hopes that the longer we wait the more things will improve - but I am leaning more and more towards canceling and going somewhere else when I hear about mask misery in the heat (I think I'm being over confident we could handle it), lack of restaurants and shopping, ornery crowds due to whatever issues and upset CM's (I feel sooooooo bad for them!). This would be our 3rd trip, our last one ended in a very sad way with a family emergency cutting things short so I feel like we've been looking forward to our next one for a long time to remember that magic remains. I am on the fence still because I also am intrigued by no FP's needed, not worrying about parades or fireworks crowds since we've seen them, and just because the kids have been looking forward to a return for so long.

Honestly, I could push to next summer for the 50th anniversary fun, but part of me is very worried that returning crowds then will be so bad for that whole summer we'll be worse off and still miserable.

We have a smaller local beach vacation end of June, so planning to see how that goes and then decide after with a few days to spare. It could be just that small week away feels good enough that we just do that twice this Summer and save up anticipation (and funds) for some future trip. Just worried life, and childhood, are too short. :(

People who complain about mobile ordering being so onerous kill me because before all of this, back when nobody knew about it, it was amazing. It was straight up FP+ for food. Deciding on a whim that I wanted a dole whip on the way to the Tiki Room, pulling up the app as I walked over and waltzing past a huge line to get my snack always made me feel really smug lol. I'd be sitting in the show eating it before most of those people even got to the counter to order.

If anything I'm salty that everyone being forced to do it let the secret out to the luddites. I'm sad the old days of just rolling up like that are probably going to stay gone even after things are relatively back to normal.

I went in Dec. There was a mostly fixed image on the castle that changed about 15 minutes,. It was beautiful. Ppl still gathered around the castle to see it.

People who complain about mobile ordering being so onerous kill me because before all of this, back when nobody knew about it, it was amazing. It was straight up FP+ for food. Deciding on a whim that I wanted a dole whip on the way to the Tiki Room, pulling up the app as I walked over and waltzing past a huge line to get my snack always made me feel really smug lol. I'd be sitting in the show eating it before most of those people even got to the counter to order.

If anything I'm salty that everyone being forced to do it let the secret out to the luddites. I'm sad the old days of just rolling up like that are probably going to stay gone even after things are relatively back to normal.
Mobile ordering isn't bad, but it is bad when it is practically being forced upon people. I like to go in to the places, stand in line and decide, it was normal to do that. I get the convenience of it but I feel it is more forced than necessary now, almost like you have to do it or you won't get food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter