Booked Alaska, expensive!

ready2 cruise

Mouseketeer
We just booked a 7 night Alaska On the Wonder for this summer. Seems really expensive for a family of 4. We have a category 5 balcony and since we have young children DCL is our best option. Now I am having buyers remorse. What would you consider expensive for this cruise? Thanks! Also, flights to Vancouver seem so expensive as do the excursions....

I did the Alaska trip about a year and a half ago. We had booked an ocean view stateroom and upgraded at the port to, I believe, a Cat 4B. It was definitely one of the most expensive vacations I had taken at the time but we all felt very much worth it.

There's quite a range of excursions. I certainly didn't have a lot to spend on them. In Skagway we went to Liarsville. In Juneau we went to the Mendenhall glacier and in Ketchikan we went to the Lumberjack games. The price for all of these was very reasonable and the family had a great time.

It is a 7 night cruise, and the available dates have been open for awhile, so the prices have probably climbed. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time though!

I just wanted to say that we did an Alaska cruise with DCL last June and loved every second :goodvibes

Yes it is an expensive cruise and some of the more elaborate excusrions are pretty costly as well.

One thing I would say though is that the ports of Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau were really great places to explore on your own so don't feel you have to book excursions to have a good time

Yes it is expensive but well worth it. We also did DIY excursions in the three ports which not only work out cheaper than DCL's but were better times and longer durations. We are hoping to cruise there again with DCL in 2015 and probably won't do any excursions this time but will just explore the towns on our own in more depth. IMO the cruise is worth doing even if you don't get off the ship, the scenery is out of this world.

The 2014 Summer cruises have been available to book since last February, so prices have had a long time to rise. If you can wait another month or so to see if DCL returns to Alaska in 2015 - you'll probably see lower prices. Alternatively - you could wait to see if *GT rates are offered for 2014 cruises, but then you risk not going at all.

Would you be willing to book an inside or ocean-view cabin?

I have found when compared to other cruise lines the balcony cabins on DCL are way more expensive. When I booked ,with the 10% OBB discount an inside room is less expensive than other cruise lines (with the exception of Carnival).

Sure I would love a balcony but the difference is $2000 which I cannot justify.

We just booked a 7 night Alaska On the Wonder for this summer. Seems really expensive for a family of 4. We have a category 5 balcony and since we have young children DCL is our best option. Now I am having buyers remorse. What would you consider expensive for this cruise? Thanks! Also, flights to Vancouver seem so expensive as do the excursions....

First congrats!! :cool1: As another poster mentioned, the Alaskan sailings for 2014 have been available to book since Feb 2013. We originally booked the 6/16/14 sailing on opening day, then several weeks later we switched it to 6/17/2013 (up a year) so we could sail sooner due to a family member that was ill and I was afraid of the long term prognosis. I switched because the prices had not changed which was a little surprising - lol. However, I can see the 2014 sailings have gone up and some there is a chunk of change there (I use cruisefish to see the historical pricing). Our 6/16/14 sailing was not one of the "higher" peak season ones but for the three of us it's gone up $600 in a Cat 7A. For the Cat 9A it's gone up $1008 for the three of us - that's a big swing. I don't think you'll regret the decision one bit and several of us are waiting with baited breath on the 2015 sail dates so we can go again. Alaska was the best cruise and vacation we've taken and you'll absolutely love it with DCL!! :thumbsup2

I just wanted to say that we did an Alaska cruise with DCL last June and loved every second :goodvibes

Yes it is an expensive cruise and some of the more elaborate excusrions are pretty costly as well.

One thing I would say though is that the ports of Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau were really great places to explore on your own so don't feel you have to book excursions to have a good time
Hi fellow Alaskan cruiser :wave: As Linda said you can definitely switch up some of the excursions and thoroughly enjoy yourself. We spent about $730ish on our excursions for the three of us and in no way did we feel we didn't see or experience Alaska and we did something in every port. The next time we'll do different excursions to mix it up some.

I have found when compared to other cruise lines the balcony cabins on DCL are way more expensive. When I booked ,with the 10% OBB discount an inside room is less expensive than other cruise lines (with the exception of Carnival).

This is a wonderful suggestion and it was one I struggled with when we booked. For us since we had opening day prices we booked the 7A (Navigators Verandah) and we LOVED it and have no regrets at all since it was our first. I'm more realistic the second time around with Alaska and if it's more than $1000 like I'm sure it will be for the verandah vs an Ocean view in a location we like, then we are okay doing an Ocean view the next time around since it's a lot of $$ that goes towards excursions, flights, hotel in Vancouver prior, etc. Something to think about :)

Have a wonderful time!
Heather

I just booked the September 1 cruise a couple days ago. I'm looking at flying into Seattle and then taking the train into Vancouver to save quite a bit of money on the plane tickets so you may look into something like that to save some.

I didn't think the price I paid was horrible but I've got an inside room so I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper than the one you have but there's also only myself and my toddler son. I've heard nothing but good things about the Alaska cruise though so I'm looking very forward to it.

We are also booked on the Wonder for Alaska this summer and I agree with you that it is EXPENSIVE. My husband and I have traveled all around the world to some of the worlds most expensive destinations and this is easily winning out as our most expensive trip ever! I will admit that we are in a 1 bedroom and doing the 9 night cruise so that is contributing to the cost, but it is still double what we have paid for a 1 bedroom for 7 nights on the Fantasy. I was also shocked by Vancouver flight prices as well as the excursions prices....I am really hoping it is worth it! We have a 2 year old, so Disney is really our only option for Alaska because we want the nursery so we can go on some excursions.

Thanks so much everyone! I looked at the cruise fish website and our sailing has gone up about $700 per person. So does that mean $1400 from initially coming out and the kids always pay a standard amount in our stateroom?

Another question. My little one turns 3 in June. We really need both kids in the kids club so we can enjoy. Therefore we picked a sailing after June. Early June is quite cheaper, would they take a child "almost 3" and potty trained? Thanks!

We are also booked on the Wonder for Alaska this summer and I agree with you that it is EXPENSIVE. My husband and I have traveled all around the world to some of the worlds most expensive destinations and this is easily winning out as our most expensive trip ever! I will admit that we are in a 1 bedroom and doing the 9 night cruise so that is contributing to the cost, but it is still double what we have paid for a 1 bedroom for 7 nights on the Fantasy. I was also shocked by Vancouver flight prices as well as the excursions prices....I am really hoping it is worth it! We have a 2 year old, so Disney is really our only option for Alaska because we want the nursery so we can go on some excursions.

Yes,

But again contact operators direct for shore trips and you will save a heck of a lot of money, we did and got a plane, a helicopter and a coach to just us for a cheaper price than DCL.

We booked an ocean view stateroom so we could still have amazing views but save money as we figured we would not use the verandah much because it would be so cold. I have found that booking excursions on your own can yield significant savings. The prices tend to go up in later June so we are taking the June 2 cruise. We are flying into seattle and taking the train because it was much cheaper than flying into vancouver.

We booked an ocean view stateroom so we could still have amazing views but save money as we figured we would not use the verandah much because it would be so cold. I have found that booking excursions on your own can yield significant savings. The prices tend to go up in later June so we are taking the June 2 cruise. We are flying into seattle and taking the train because it was much cheaper than flying into vancouver.

Just to say in August 2013 we never found our verandah cold, we took too many coats and cold weather things it was warm and sunny most of the time, bar a bit of fog early morning.

We used are verandah a lot all day and a lot of the evening as well.

ITA. We did Alaska this past June as well and had an ocean-view cabin. Although the weather was AMAZING (sunny and warm), I'm not sure we would have used the balcony if we had had one. There's just too many things to do outside the room.

As for in port, we planned our own excursions. In Skagway, the National Park Service hosts a number of activities and tours throughout the day. It's first come, first serve so get there early. You can also have the kids participate in the Junior Ranger Program. Here's a link to the park service website. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/index.htm Depending on how active your family is, you could hike some of local trails too. We hiked up to Lower Dewey Lake. The trail up to the lake is steep but once you get to the top there is an easy trial that goes around 2/3 of the lake. The remaining path is a bit challenging and may be too difficult for young ones. Don't forget to take bug repellent if you hike. The mosquitoes are vicious.

In Juneau, we did our own trip to Mendenhall Glacier (also part of Jr. Ranger Program) and spent most of the day exploring and walking to the base of the falls. It was nice being on our own because we could take as long as we wanted, unlike a number of families we saw running back to the visitors center to catch tour buses.

In Ketchikan, we visited the Totem Heritage Center (accessible via free city bus) and the Lumberjack Show. The center was very interesting but might not hold little one's attentions. The Lumberjack Show is perfect for families and within walking distance of the port. If you're going in late summer consider visiting the Fish Ladder to see the salmon run. Although we didn't go there, the Discovery Center participates in the Jr. Ranger Program too.

As for getting to Vancouver, it was much cheaper to fly into Seattle and take a train/bus to Vancouver. With little ones, I recommend taking the train. We went by bus and the trip took forever. Our coach made multiple stops on the way up and we had to get off the bus, with all of our luggage, at the boarder for customs. The return trip was faster with only a stop at the boarder. Even with hotel stays (hot deals from Hotwire) on either end of the cruise, coming and going from Seattle was cheaper.

All in all though, it was well worth the expense.

The daily DIS updates email I receive mentioned DCL sale dates - and one is the 9/1/14 Alaska cruise: http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/di...disney-updates+(Disney+Updates+-+wdwinfo.com). No - it isn't a 7-night Bahamian cruise!

The 9b rates have not changed since opening day and they are currently $1498 p/p so this isn't a sale or discount. I know you are just posting the link but I think they are trying to focus on the 9/1 sailing being cheaper than others, which it is!! :goodvibes

OP if you can sail at this time it would be cheaper for sure. I also know the Sept sailing and I believe the first few May/June cruises in 2013 did offer discounts but that's a gamble to wait that long.

Heather

I booked an inside stateroom because of cost and if I can't upgrade at the port then we'll be fine. I couldn't justify $3k-$4k more for a verandah. Im also looking into flying into seattle and take Amtrak into Vancouver. I booked my hotel in vancouver thru Hotwire. This vacation is on my wish list/bucket list places to visit. This will be our 5the DCL cruise and I'm willing to pay the extra $$$ because we love the service, entertainment and atmosphere.

We do love hanging out on deck 4 to take in the views and it's usually empty with plenty of lounge chairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter