Book online vs travel agent

I was going to book our cruise online but thought I’d ask for thoughts on using a travel agent. Thanks!
Some people wouldn't book without using a travel agent. Other wouldn't use one.

It depends on what you're expecting from the TA. If you're looking for perks, not all TAs give them. Be sure you understand what the TA will do for you before using them.

I book with a travel agent because my TA is my sister . I have booked several trips in the past ony own though.

What’s nice about using a TA is they will look for the discounts constantly and apply them to your current trip. I was about to save quite a bit on my August trip Because my of my TA.

I'd go with a Travel Agent for the perks--pick one that either gives you on board credit or Costco that will give you a cash card (worth around 8%) after your cruise.

We use Dreams Unlimited (a sponsor of this message board). We like the on board credit (free money!) they give, and the cute gift basket they mail to you shortly before your cruise (if you live in the US or Canada.) They're basically email only--which works for me. I'm a planner--so I use the DCL website to check prices/staterooms myself and tell my TA exactly what I want (and a couple alternate stateroom choices just in case) and she books it for me. She's great if I have any questions, or if I want her to add ground transfers later or request a dining rotation, etc.

I'd go with a Travel Agent for the perks--pick one that either gives you on board credit or Costco that will give you a cash card (worth around 8%) after your cruise.

We use Dreams Unlimited (a sponsor of this message board). We like the on board credit (free money!) they give, and the cute gift basket they mail to you shortly before your cruise (if you live in the US or Canada.) They're basically email only--which works for me. I'm a planner--so I use the DCL website to check prices/staterooms myself and tell my TA exactly what I want (and a couple alternate stateroom choices just in case) and she books it for me. She's great if I have any questions, or if I want her to add ground transfers later or request a dining rotation, etc.

Great, thank you! Since Dreams Unlimited arranges via email, how would you handle time sensitive issues at the time of travel (ie, the day of or before getting on the ship)? Do you have a way to reach someone live if needed? Thanks!

I was going to book our cruise online but thought I’d ask for thoughts on using a travel agent. Thanks!

TA
Get help and support.
Get some perks like on board credit.
Someone else on your side if something goes wrong.
Still can book port adventures Palo Remy spa online direct.
Payments for cruise go via TA.
Changes of room via TA.
Still very much in control.

Online.
A bit faster to book and cancel.
No one to advise you, or help if something goes wrong.
Payments and changes undertaken by you.
No TA on board credits.
You can make changes or cancel out of office hours.
If you book in a local currency everything like pre pay tips, adding your OBC and ordering gifts has to go through local country number in your booked currency.

I book with TA as they give help and support and I get OBC and they sort issues out when it goes wrong.
I feel I get extra control with the support, they book first day release, fast, saving me money as my cruises tend to be popular, i.e. 2019 went up $800 on day 1 Platinum.
They get me the best stateroom locations on release for the category I want.
My TA can be reached by phone, email, and extended weekend hours and they inform us if they close for a national holiday.

Great, thank you! Since Dreams Unlimited arranges via email, how would you handle time sensitive issues at the time of travel (ie, the day of or before getting on the ship)? Do you have a way to reach someone live if needed? Thanks!

What kind of issues do you expect the day of travel?

I have no idea, I never looked into it. I don't expect any issues right before travel that my TA would need to take care of. The TA just books the room, and the payments go through their agency. If I had any issues right before travelling--that would likely be a trip insurance issue--and I go through a 3rd party for them and have their phone number.

Contemplating our first Disney cruise. Question: is the dining included in the price of the cruise?
Yes it is--the 3 main dining rooms that you rotate through for dinner (different menu every night), the breakfast and lunch buffets, the quick service windows by the pool, snacks in Cove Cafe (coffee is an upcharge at that location.), soft serve window, 24 hr beverage station on the pool deck, some snacks in the bars at night, and room service(but you should leave a tip!) are free.

There is an upcharge for the specialty adult only restaurants ($30/person for Palo, $95?/person for Remy)--but you don't need to eat there. There are some other upcharge food/drink--but you can avoid them. (Upcharges: All alcoholic beverages and smoothies, any drink you get at a bar, Cove cafe beverages, popcorn, movie candy, Vanellopes/Sweet on You ice cream/candy store, some snacks at the bars--prices are on the drink menus, etc.) On our 1 cruise on the Wonder, we only paid for some drinks--alcoholic and specialty non-alcoholic.

Last edited:
I've booked on-line, used a local TA and used Costco Travel. So far, my favorite strategy is Costco Travel. Besides the rebate we receive at the end of the year for using our Executive membership card and Costco Visa, and the gifts provided for booking on specific cruises, during my most recent booking the Costco TA had access to cabins that on the DCL web page were unavailable.

I'm not a travel expert. My travel agent is. I get an expert to do everything. Wait on hold to book everything so I don't have to. I save time, get an expert and it doesn't cost me a penny.

I book with an agent for the bonus. I was going to go with Costco but they don't accept Amex and I need it to go through that card for insurance purposes. Therefore I booked with Dreams Unlimited. This will be our third time booking with them.

Booking with one of the TA's that gives on board credits seems to be a good choice.

Please note that the sponsor of these DIS Boards is Dreams Unlimited Travel. We like to support them by booking our trips through them. It doesn't cost us any more and on cruises you get an onboard credit so effectively its cheaper than booking it yourself.

I agree with booking with an agent like Dreams Unlimited. They are the experts and you can't go wrong getting free money to spend on your trip! :)

I like using a TA for any onboard credits they may offer, or cash card in the case of Costco.
I've never had problems a TA needed to help with, never even had any questions for them actually.
When I've used a TA I've told them exactly what I want from the first booking to any changes along the way.
That's generally fine, but a time or two I've had TA's who didn't understand exactly what I wanted or who didn't get back to me in a timely manner. That can be annoying.

I've also booked directly with DCL and I do like being able to call them myself when I book that way. They won't talk to you if your booking is through a TA. The TA needs to contact them for you. Downside is definitely no onboard credit or cash card.

My current booking is directly with DCL because I didn't decide to book until about an hour before booking was going to open to the next CC level, so not enough time to find a TA and have them book for me. LOL

Folks who use a TA and stay at WDW before and/or after your cruise, do you also book your WDW stay through your TA or book it separately yourself? I've always booked my WDW trips myself because I like keeping as much control over my bookings as possible, but I'm looking at possibly bookending my next cruise with a night or two at WDW before and after--or even arranging to be there for marathon weekend ahead of the cruise and participate in one of the races. Last time, I stayed at WDW only after the cruise and booked the WDW portion myself, but with a WDW stay on either end I'm wondering if handing it over to my TA would be helpful or just frustrate me.

For the typical first time cruiser I would suggest a travel agent. There is a lot to know and consider when booking. Disney specific agents know a lot about Disney Cruises. That being said, we had a bad experience with a Disney specific TA that came highly recommended by a family member. My wife and I both travel for work. We found it awkward not to be in control of our reservation. The TA did a lot of "educational" travel (went to all the Disney resorts) and was difficult to get ahold of. They had the sailing booklet and baggage tags sent to them so they could include them with gifts for us. This was in the winter in Kansas and were headed to Fla early for the holidays before our cruise. We almost did not get our stuff before we left because they had bad weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter