Book burning

I think it is idiotic, too. As to them burning their own books-- I guess they have the right, but it seems ridiculous to me. Plus it is bad for the environment. :) I had cousins in Texas who burned Oak Ridge Boys albums in the 80's because they had left Christian music and gone mainstream. Silly..

I think there are better ways to protest something than burning books, flags, etc. And I don't mean avoiding those pavillions at WDW. LOL

BTW, I think it's stupid too. Especially the part about buying them, just to burn them.

But I do think they're trying to make a statement, not "kill an idea". After all, it's not like these are the last printed copies of these books.

As for why the French, and not anyone else....I'd say it's because the French are ACTIVELY opposing our efforts. The other Security Council countries are not doing that.

As to them burning their own books-- I guess they have the right

sure they have the right. to clear up anyone's possible confusion, i was not saying people don't have the right to, just why i think it is different than flag burning. (not saying that you thought that donna, but you know what i mean. :) )

and buying all copies of books to burn, or burning library books crosses another line, imho.

burning books is destroying ideas.

Only in the literal sense that it is destroying the written words contained in the books.

A book is just an object with written words. Sure the books contain ideas, but it's not like the ideas are stricken from the world once the book is destroyed.

And Jenz, if they are burning books they borrowed from the library, I hope they get nailed to the wall for it. As for buying them and burning them, hey if they want to waste their money that way, let 'em at it.

What are the Germans doing Caity? I'm French and German; I might have to burn myself.

caity, I didn't say it was because the French threatened to veto, I said it was because they are ACTIVELY opposing our efforts.

The French visted all three of the African countries on the Security Council to lobby them to vote against the U.S. resolution. They shot down the latest British proposal for benchmarks before Saddam even responded to it!!! They've also stated they'll veto ANY resolution or compromise put forth by the British and the U.S.

There is a difference, IMO.

checking them out from the library and burning them.

Is that a crime? Turn her into the police. She is stealing and destroying government property. Great role model for her children. :rolleyes: Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but dang it all so is burning a book written ages ago by someone who is dust now over a completely unrelated political issue.

I can't believe she'd spend money on books when she can barely buy food for her children.

BTW, you should point out to her that the publishers are most likely American so her buying books isn't really doing anything at all to France. If their goal is to keep people from being exposed to French ideas they're not going to be very successful. The publishers will just keep publishing more French books to meet the demand.

Originally posted by caitycaity
i understand that, but from what i have read both germany and russia have been caucusing as well.

Where have you read that? I'm not saying it's not true, but I haven't seen any reports of this?

caity, do you really not see the French taking an active role in thwarting the U.S. diplomatic effort, that is much more agressive than the German/Russian/Chinese?

Good thing I hid my collection of French film on DVD(especially Moulin Rouge) and my box of De sade novels.I think buring books is just buring ideas

Where have you read that? I'm not saying it's not true, but I haven't seen any reports of this?

i read it (of all places ;) ) in the washington times. i will try to find it. :)

caity, do you really not see the French taking an active role in thwarting the U.S. diplomatic effort, that is much more agressive than the German/Russian/Chinese?

of course they are, but i gues sto me it doesn't really make a difference in degree. who knows, the french are being VERY public about it, but isn't that better than (if for example) the russians or chinese are doing it behind our backs?

i just want this whole bloody thing to be over. :(

i guess that is the one thing everyone can agree on. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter