• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bonsai Tree hobby

Floridaman999

Livin' the life
I'm thinking about getting a Bonsai tree or two and taking up their care as a hobby. Mr. Miyagi made it look so fun in the Karate Kid movie. How can Mr. Miyagi be wrong?

04-karate-kid-mr-miyagi.jpg

Any of you ever taken care of a Bonsai tree? The older I get the more enjoyable it appears. I wonder how difficult it is to get it looking just right? If I could have one that looked like this, I'd consider it a success.

RM_718_Large_Bonsai__06146.1481135417.1280.1280.jpg

MY Dad did a lot of Bonsai back in the 60's. I was interested and watched him and di one my self. If you like plants and tending them it is fun to watch how they turn out. You can trim it and follow it's natural shape to a degree or train it to do what you want, most of the time. You can't just let them sit and water them. They take care and pruning and work.

I once had a bonsai tree. But I don't think I did it quite right.

lead_720_405.jpg

Sentinel_Tree_Giant_Redwood_Sequoiadendron_giganteum578.jpg

My husband has had great success with them.

With killing them, that is. He's great at it!

Including one very old, very expensive one we got him last Father's Day, thinking that since it was old and established he'd be ok. Nope :rotfl::rotfl:
I've considered getting one more but taking care of it myself, and he can just look at it!

My husband has had great success with them.

With killing them, that is. He's great at it!

Including one very old, very expensive one we got him last Father's Day, thinking that since it was old and established he'd be ok. Nope :rotfl::rotfl:
I've considered getting one more but taking care of it myself, and he can just look at it!
I've got a feeling I would suffer from the same success. Well, the trees would suffer I suppose, but I'd do my best to keep them going.

Killed one in two weeks that was 12 years old! Last time we were in Disney Epcot had a booth about bonsai trees. I can’t remember exactly what they said but they were saying you need to be careful where you buy them because not all bonsai are created equal. I wish I could remember the details but you know how it goes....I have “some Timers.” Sometimes I have it sometimes I don’t!

I once had a bonsai tree. But I don't think I did it quite right.

lead_720_405.jpg

Sentinel_Tree_Giant_Redwood_Sequoiadendron_giganteum578.jpg

back in the 90's we lived near a high school in california with a groundskeeper who channeled his inner mr. miyagi into the the huge old growth juniper bushes that were at the front of the school. it had to have been a labor of love b/c the attention to detail he gave to those mutantly large plants, turning an overgrown area into a small forest of bonsai trees was such a lovely sight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter