Boma or Ohana?

Boma food is great!
Lots of variety!!!!

Plan on seeing the savanna animals before your ADR,
as the night vision goggles are no longer being offered;
the nighttime (paid) Safari Event( must book ahead) is the promoted option for night vision goggle Viewing.

In the past, we greatly enjoyed the around/the/fire Story telling.
Sadly, it has been missing from the resort's
activities for some time.

Wow, so much great input but the opinions seem to be split so I STILL can't decide!! :) I'm so grateful for all of the tips & advice.
What if we did Ohana on Sunday night, and did breakfast at Boma later in the week? Especially since the night vision goggles for animal viewing aren't available anymore? We are planning to take it easy the first part of Thursday, so perhaps breakfast at Boma that day would allow us to check out both places AND would allow us to see the animals. Is Boma breakfast pretty good, too?

Chef Mickeys is also always booked out. Just saying
A lot of people on this board love Boma. I wanted to love it too, but I did not care for the sweet spice on everything. Every item I sampled tasted like it was coated in cinnamon and nutmeg. :crazy2:

Ohana is my family's favorite WDW restaurant. It's the whole package--great food, entertainment, atmosphere and drinks.

Check availability for both restaurants during your trip dates. I can almost guarantee you'll find plenty of open ADRs for Boma, but you won't find even one for Ohana. That should tell you more than what anybody here has to say.

Wow, so much great input but the opinions seem to be split so I STILL can't decide!! :) I'm so grateful for all of the tips & advice.
What if we did Ohana on Sunday night, and did breakfast at Boma later in the week? Especially since the night vision goggles for animal viewing aren't available anymore? We are planning to take it easy the first part of Thursday, so perhaps breakfast at Boma that day would allow us to check out both places AND would allow us to see the animals. Is Boma breakfast pretty good, too?
IMO. If you do Boma, do dinner. The dinner options is the experience. For breakfast you can go anywhere really. Boma simply offers more choices ohana is a set family style menu. I like both but I had had to choose I'd choose Boma. I like the food. Love the spicies and for kids if need be they have typical kids buffett items ( mac cheese, nuggets ). Also Boma worth it to see the resort.

Where will you be staying? You may want to consider ease of travel as a factor since everyone loves both restaurants!

AKL does Animal Enrichment a few times a week at 11:30am. They have a CM interact with an animal on the savanna just off the main viewing area. We saw a black bird with a large beak (?) doing "tricks" basically motivation through food but very fun to watch. We usually schedule our breakfasts at 10-10:30am (NOT early risers!) so we try to schedule our Boma breakfast for the day they're doing it.

We prefer Ohana, ambiance, sit down AYCTE (as opposed to a buffet at Boma) we're not super huge on dinner buffets though. Communal waffles and bacon seems ok, but the communal soups and stews kinda grosses us out a little? :thumbsup2

Where will you be staying? You may want to consider ease of travel as a factor since everyone loves both restaurants!

We prefer Ohana, ambiance, sit down AYCTE (as opposed to a buffet at Boma) we're not super huge on dinner buffets though. Communal waffles and bacon seems ok, but the communal soups and stews kinda grosses us out a little? :thumbsup2

We are staying at CBR the first five nights of our trip, and likely CSR (or maybe a Deluxe if a good room-only discount comes out!) the last 2 nights of our trip. We will have our own car (driving down from NC) so I think getting to either wouldn't be bad.

How is the ambience different between Boma & Ohana different in your opinion? Based on a few posts it sounds like Boma may be more quiet/ relaxing versus 'Ohana with the coconut races and more rushed pace, etc. I think the decision is coming down to what I think will be most enjoyable experience for our family of four (and kids are 6 & 10). If we can't see the animals on Sunday and are just there for dinner....I'm leaning toward Ohana even though sounds like Boma food is generally preferred. Maybe we try to see Boma/ AKL in the day. I feel like my decision should not be this hard, lol.

Boma seven days a week and twice on Sunday. To me Ohana is the most over rated restaurant on property. The quality of food at Ohana is similar to what you could find in the frozen dinner section at your local grocery store.

Boma, 100%.

We went to Ohana for the first time a few weeks ago and it was the most disappointing meal we had on our trip. The beef was impossibly tough, and everything else was just OK (think uninspired Americanized "Asian" cuisine that is about 3 or 4 decades out of date). That might be some people's thing, and not knocking that, just trying to accurately describe the food.

The coconut race (the entertainment for kids) is over and done with after about 2 minutes. There was nothing else while we were there. It's definitely not worth the price.

We have been to Boma multiple times for breakfast and dinner and have never been disappointed.

We enjoyed Boma, but it didn't stand out particularly as one of the better meals of the trips we've taken. I'd say the plus for our family is that it's a buffet as opposed to 'Ohana where you are more restricted as to what you can eat. I would personally lean a little more towards 'Ohana just because I prefer the Polynesian ambience to AKL which is entirely personal. Both are good choices.

If you are stuck on the actual food, another option is Tusker House if you plan on being in AK.. the offerings are somewhat similar from style of food. Ohana's is also more hectic especially the waiting area... if your reservation is the same as when the spirit of Olaha starts the general area is packed and ohans has huuuge wait times as they also go over.. but you have an early reservation.. we had later one and you still wait 45 minutes.

Not sure if you mentioned you had a car or not.. boma is a PIA with disney buses. you have to go via DS or a park... just keep that in mind... I would maybe build Ohana in with a regular park day and add the monorail experience. or even if not Ohanas.. the quick service is nice.. so you can still go there and experience the resort.

another tip.. we have a rental and from AKL there is a nice target only 5/10 minutes away with a great disney section.. some back road and there, no traffic.. google maps you can find it.... not sure if this plays a role.

Last edited:
I showed my kids videos of each option and 1 said Boma, 1 said 'Ohana. Even my kids are split!

Do both and let us know which you liked best! ;)
I'm tempted to!! Not sure yet if it'll be possible with the schedule but it would be great to try both!

So my husband the tie-breaker voted 'Ohana for our first night. The meat on a stick- even if it's not the best ever- has some serious appeal to him. LOL. He also said since 'Ohana is sooooo tough to get, we should stick with it, give it a try and try to fit in Boma another day if we can. And if not, we will be eating at Tusker House one day which has a similar theme/flavor. Part of the Boma appeal was seeing the AKL animals and we couldn't at night, now that night vision goggles aren't available so that was another factor. Thanks to everyone for their input! I hope we're making a good choice!

So my husband the tie-breaker voted 'Ohana for our first night. The meat on a stick- even if it's not the best ever- has some serious appeal to him. LOL. He also said since 'Ohana is sooooo tough to get, we should stick with it, give it a try and try to fit in Boma another day if we can. And if not, we will be eating at Tusker House one day which has a similar theme/flavo

The point about the 'Ohana adr being difficult to get is spot on. We love both Boma and TH, the last few times at TH it edged out Boma for us. Both are very good though.

We've eaten at both..Ohana very recently. I would say Boma for sure. We were underwhelmed by everything about Ohana. Just cancelled an upcoming ADR there.

Boma! We ate at O'hana this past May, and we felt rushed and the food wasn't as good as it has been in the past. We go every year, but this year it wasn't a standout meal for us. Like Shell54 said, we were underwhelmed. Boma on the other hand was awesome. We won't be going back to O'hana next year. Just not feeling it anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter