Boma Buffet

Does anyone know if and when Boma buffet @ the animal kingdom lodge plans on reopening?
There have been rumours that it will reopen, as a buffet, when the hotel side of Jambo House reopens on Aug 26th. But nothing has been confirmed by Disney yet.

I'd be shocked if the AKL opens without Boma. Are any restaurants operating buffets?

I'd be shocked if the AKL opens without Boma. Are any restaurants operating buffets?
Not yet. But I watched videos of the test sailings of the Disney Magic in the UK and they were operating Cabanas as a buffet with new protocols in place. Seemed like it could easily apply to Boma because of its “pod” structure. There are always a lot of chefs working the line at Boma. On the Magic they had guests step up to a pod, point at the items they want and the CM would put the food on the plate. Gave me some hope that WDW buffets could begin operating again soon.

And while these interactions might be as reliable as “info from a bus driver”, I also saw reports that a server at Cape May told guests the plan is for Boma to reopen as a buffet some time in August and Cape May will convert back to buffet shortly after that. Additionally, a CM working the front desk at Jambo house claimed that the plan is for Boma to reopen either slightly ahead of or with the hotel side and Jiko will reopen shortly after.

Last edited:
Aren't guests on the UK cruise required to show proof of vaccination?

Infection rate is back up.

Does anyone know if and when Boma buffet @ the animal kingdom lodge plans on reopening?
Thank you, we are heading down in a couple of weeks for a short visit not looking forward to the crowds or heat of aug. But have some business in Orlando and can not be there and not do Disney.

Aren't guests on the UK cruise required to show proof of vaccination?

Infection rate is back up.
Yes, proof of vaccination and pre-boarding testing with a negative result are required. They also have mask mandates for indoor areas of the ship. WDW can’t require that due to legislation passed by the Florida governor. Still was the first example of a Disney buffet we’ve seen since Mar 2020.

Front desk CM at Jambo told me on check in last week that both Boma and the store would open with the resort next month. Jiko will follow. Did not indicate whether Boma returns to buffet or not. If it does it will be the first to do so post-Covid. I would expect the Mara to return to regular hours then, as well.

Last edited:
Somewhat related to this thread: Storytellers Cafe at Disneyland reopened this morning and is offering a traditional buffet service! Not even served by Cast Members, but an actual serve yourself buffet. More hope for Boma to return as it was pre-pandemic.

Somewhat related to this thread: Storytellers Cafe at Disneyland reopened this morning and is offering a traditional buffet service! Not even served by Cast Members, but an actual serve yourself buffet. More hope for Boma to return as it was pre-pandemic.
Good to hear!

Based on how every other restaurant has come back, you can pretty much bet it's not going to return as it was. Even if it's a buffet, it's going to have fewer options and they'll be lower quality.
You can choose to believe that, and I can choose to remain hopeful that it will return as it was ::yes:: Neither of us know anything definitively and won’t until Disney makes an announcement.

Which should be soon, I would guess, since the re-opening of AKL is just about a month away! :love:
I can’t wait! We’re staying at AKL in December and it is where we stayed on our last trip in Dec 2019.
I just can’t see them bringing 900+ hotel side rooms into operation without increasing food options. If I’m not mistaken, no other Deluxe hotel is operating with just limited QS (as the Mara currently is).

I strongly believe The Mara will return to previous hours, Boma will return for breakfast & dinner as a buffet with its former menus and Jiko will reopen too. I’d also wager Victoria Fall and Cape Town Lounge will reopen shortly thereafter….especially with places like Belle Vue Lounge and Trader Sam’s reopening recently.

Boma is one of our favorite restaurants ANYWHERE. DD and I will be at Disney 8/18-8/23; fingers crossed that it opens before we have to go home!

Boma is one of our favorite restaurants ANYWHERE. DD and I will be at Disney 8/18-8/23; fingers crossed that it opens before we have to go home!
Reopening date is 8/26. CM told me it would reopen with resort so your stay may be a tad too early. But you never know, right?

First time staying at AKL Club Level in September! Please tell me about Boma! Do I need reservations? Anything I need to know? I could not get reservations at all for Saana, lunch or dinner! Ugh. Hoping we love CL...I am a fussy food girl, so this experience is for my husband more than myself. Then we head to my favorite...WL!

First time staying at AKL Club Level in September! Please tell me about Boma! Do I need reservations? Anything I need to know? I could not get reservations at all for Saana, lunch or dinner! Ugh. Hoping we love CL...I am a fussy food girl, so this experience is for my husband more than myself. Then we head to my favorite...WL!
Boma (in it’s pre-pandemic form) is an excellent buffet. They offer breakfast and dinner. The menus change slightly on a rotation. Our favourite for dinner was the Wed/Sat menu for example.

At breakfast they have traditional American favourites like scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, Mickey and Simba waffles, pancakes, breakfast pastries etc. They also have a carving station that frequently features ham and Turkey. An omelette station and a few African inspired dishes like Bobotie (almost like a quiche).

At dinner they have an amazing range of soups and salads. The soups are what people rave about. My favourite is the Cape Malay Lamb Curry. My dad’s favourite is Harira, a tomato based lentil soup from Morocco if I’m not mistaken.

They also have roasted chicken, ribs, carved beef/turkey/ham, a salmon dish, sides like couscous, African spiced potatoes. And more traditional kids favourites like Mac & cheese, chicken tenders, pizza.

The desserts are beloved too. Great cookies, cupcakes. Interesting options like Zebra Domes (little mousse cakes striped like Zebras and flavoured with African Amarula liqueur. Malva pudding (a spiced cake doused in a sweet syrup and topped with a little dollop of meringue).

And now I’ve made myself hungry:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter