• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boiled dinners..........

maslex

DIS Veteran
Just curious if anyone has ever done a boiled dinner with a chuck roast? The aide on my bus says her dad does it that way but I've never heard of it. If you do it this way, what else do you put in the pot for seasonings?

A packet of Lipton onion soup mix at the beginning. Add some carrots and potatoes at the end. But I don’t boil it the whole time. I brown the meat first, then add the water and soup mix, bring it to a boil, then turn it down to simmer for several hours. After I take the meat out, I thicken up the remaining liquid with some flour to make gravy. The pot roast is so tender and delicious.

Growing up my parents would make these awesome pot roasts by slow roasting/braising them, like God intended. Delicious. Then at some point they started boiling them on the stove in a big pot of water, and I began to wonder if somebody had hurt them. It just took all the flavor out of it.

You definitely should not just put meat in a boiling pot of water. You need to add either stock, bullion and some veggies (always onions) and seasoning to taste and once it starts boiling turn it to simmer for hours. A crock pot is the easiest way to accomplish this. I make a yummy pulled pork with just the meat, a can of coke, a whole onion sliced thin, so it melts away while cooking, some crushed garlic and salt and pepper to taste, throw it in the crock pot and in 4-6 hours its done.

I’ll stick to searing it first and then either crockpot it or put it in the oven. Low and slow.
Same here! Sear it, and add it to the crockpot with a bag of Campbell's slow-cooker sauce. I cook on low for at least 9 hours, add the veggies 2-3 hours before completion(so they don't get mushy.)
This is a delicious dinner and you can use the leftover beef for French dip sandwiches.

I have never heard of boiling meat. Sounds disgusting. I’ll stick to searing it first and then either crockpot it or put it in the oven. Low and slow.

My grandmother would make the very classic "New England Boiled Dinner" which is corned beef or a ham boiled with potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbage, etc. It can be fairly bland though - corned beef is better because it imparts more salt. It is pretty common though.

Last edited:
Yes, I've had New England boiled dinner and it's good, although I prefer it done in a slow cooker or braised in an oven.

Also had seafood boil and that's a pretty good way to do small potatoes/corn on the cob, sausages and seafood. You just have to do it in stages so the seafood doesn't get overdone.

I braise most of my meats which is basically adding only enough water to cover the meat, and not cooking at such a high temperature as boiling.

Once the temperature is raised to the boiling point, the meat muscle tends to seize and contract. That's what makes them tough and shoe leathery even though they are in water. You then HAVE to then cook for a much longer time to get the muscle to soften back up, become tender from the muscle to fall apart, and when cooked long enough, to eventually fall off the bone.

Braising at a low temperature means the meat doesn't seize up in the first place. So, it can remain more tender from the start and absorb all the seasonings as it cooks.

I was recently gifted an Instant Pot and have been experimenting with all the meats I usually braise. So far, so good! :thumbsup2 I've been able to shave off a significant amount of time for some. Others, only a half hour off the normal amount of time, from start to finish. But the meat really does stay moist and fall off the bone.

Chuck makes the best pot roast in a slow cooker, I usually save this for colder weather but recently added it to summer heat too, had it a few weeks back as a treat.

I'll make this with either the big roast or stew bits cut up, works for both & will throw in stew veggies like baby potatoes and carrots then serve over thich egg noodles. I also add more beef broth instead of water, at least a can and thicken it with a roux before dinner.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-n-tangy-pot-roast/

FYI, if someone has a fish allergy find a vegan worcestershire sauce, which I discovered was a thing recently making stew for a friend - anchovies.

I'm another one who does a cut of meat like that in a slow cooker. Aside from adding seasonings/vegetables, I recommend adding something acidic--tomatoes (or juice/sauce) or a small amount of vinegar. The acid helps to break down the fibers of the meat. V-8 is a nice choice--we don't drink the stuff, but I use it in cooking.

The only meat I boil on the stove is corned beef and cabbage, but that has a strong flavor, so it tastes fine. Unless you're my kids--they hate the stuff, and dread a pot of it every St. Patrick's Day. I like it, but once a year is enough for me.

We're not big meat eaters so I don't make it often, but over the years I've certainly done roasts in a Dutch Oven on the stove top. My mom always did them that way. They're simmered on low for hours with gravy ingredients and veggies pretty much just like doing them in the oven, crockpot, or roaster. Is that what you mean by boiled?

I've never had a lot of luck with crock pot cooking. I prefer the control I get with the stovetop or oven.

Last edited:
The only boiled dinner I make is New England boiled dinner, and I do use chuck roasts instead of briskets for that when brisket is expensive. The only catch is with your leftovers--the center part slices better for sandwiches and the rest shreds into pieces for hash (with brisket, you can get good slicing pieces from all of the brisket flat). As with pot roast, it's more braised than really boiled.

This is the recipe I use for corning the beef, then I go on my own for cooking it. I really like his pickling spice--lots of flavor besides the salt in there.

https://keviniscooking.com/how-to-make-corned-beef/

Nope, not boiled beef.

In our area we boil crawfish, shrimp or blue crabs in seasoning. Mix in red potatoes, corn, mushrooms, onion, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter