Boeing 737 Max 8/9

dvcgirl67

DIS Veteran
Yikes, another issue with this plane...a kind of big one when an entire window panel blows out of the side of a plane. I know DH mentioned to me at the end of last year that Boeing asked airlines to inspect a bolt in the rudder, which seems kind of important. This just seems like one of those planes that has serious ongoing issues. I know the original issue was a big software problem that has been remedied. But loose bolts and window panels blowing out of the side of a plane seem like a big hardware issue. I was relieved to see that nobody died. DH only flies for work about 3-4 times a year, but always on this plane as they're a big part of the fleet for United. I wonder if other airlines will ground them for inspection temporarily?

Yikes, another issue with this plane...a kind of big one when an entire window panel blows out of the side of a plane. I know DH mentioned to me at the end of last year that Boeing asked airlines to inspect a bolt in the rudder, which seems kind of important. This just seems like one of those planes that has serious ongoing issues. I know the original issue was a big software problem that has been remedied. But loose bolts and window panels blowing out of the side of a plane seem like a big hardware issue. I was relieved to see that nobody died. DH only flies for work about 3-4 times a year, but always on this plane as they're a big part of the fleet for United. I wonder if other airlines will ground them for inspection temporarily?
Well it's United, Alaska, Southwest-all are using them extensively. I don't know what to think. My next trip is booked both ways on the 777 so I guess I'm glad, lol, although those planes are OLD.

The issue with the rudder bolt hasn't resulted in an Airworthiness Directive, so it can be fixed by airlines during the next round of scheduled maintenance. It's not that big of an issue, otherwise the FAA will have issued an AD and/or directed planes to be immediately grounded until fixed.

The current incident with Alaska is slightly concerning, however it is important to note that it was a door plug that blew out and not just a random wall/window panel. These types of door plugs have been used on previous 737 models as well and are not unique to the MAX. It will still be disconcerting to some, but if any part is going to go that's the one that you want. An actual wall panel will immediately cripple the structural integrity of the rest of the plane.

(Have worked in the industry for a decade and a half)

Last edited:

Definitely makes me rethink sitting in the exit row! Fortunately no one was sitting right next to the exit window.

Nothing to do with the Max8. It's a plug for an emergency exit that is necessary on some ULCCs that operate 737-900ER and Max9 at their highest capacity. Most specifically RyanAir in Europe and LionAir in Africa. If not required the plug is installed and regular seats are placed there. I'm seeing reports in multiple locations that this plane lost it's ETOPS certification due to pressurization issues on Thursday. My guess is that something went wrong with the plug and rather than find and fix it, they just took it off HI runs. AS has grounded their Max9 fleet to inspect all of these planes. I would expect to hear the same from UA by the end of the day.

The issue with the rudder bolt hasn't resulted in an Airworthiness Directive, so it can be fixed by airlines during the next round of scheduled maintenance. It's not that big of an issue, otherwise the FAA will have issued an AD and/or directed planes to be immediately grounded until fixed.

The current incident with Alaska is slightly concerning, however it is important to note that it was a door plug that blew out and not just a random wall/window panel. These types of door plugs have been used on previous 737 models as well and are not unique to the MAX. It will still be disconcerting to some, but if any part is going to go that's the one that you want. An actual wall panel will immediately cripple the structural integrity of the rest of the plane.

Thanks for the explanation! Thinking the airlines can charge more now for passengers wanting to avoid sitting next to the "plug" in the side of the plane that may blow out during takeoff (only partially kidding) ;).

I'm wondering why they're punching unnecessary holes in planes only to "plug" them later....aren't they built to spec? These are newer planes correct?

Wasn't an exit row or exit window. From the inside you'd never know the plug was there.

The Mom and her son sitting in that row know it's there ;). I have a customer flying home today on a Max 8 on United, wonder if she'll get rescheduled?

Nothing to do with the Max8. It's a plug for an emergency exit that is necessary on some ULCCs that operate 737-900ER and Max9 at their highest capacity. Most specifically RyanAir in Europe and LionAir in Africa. If not required the plug is installed and regular seats are placed there. I'm seeing reports in multiple locations that this plane lost it's ETOPS certification due to pressurization issues on Thursday. My guess is that something went wrong with the plug and rather than find and fix it, they just took it off HI runs. AS has grounded their Max9 fleet to inspect all of these planes. I would expect to hear the same from UA by the end of the day.

Thanks for the explanation. So, this plane, essentially brand new....had pressure issues on Thursday and so instead of figuring it out....Alaska just took the flight off of longer flights to shorter ones? It would seem incredibly dangerous to do that.

And you're saying this has nothing at all to do with the 8....just the 9? Do any of the 8's have these "plugs" in them? I'm just guessing, but now assuming all planes have the possibility of having "plugs" in them....and now for someone like me this is just a new terrifying fact I didn't want to know....lol. I'll know have to scrub the internet for flights I'm taking to figure out if my plane has "plug" rows.

The plane in question just came into service in November. In that model of plane, the door panel is always there, but Alaska Airlines chose to put seats there instead, so they made it a window. From the inside you can’t tell it was a door, but you can see the door panel from the outside. The whole panel blew out, not just the window. It’s a miracle no one got sucked out!

I was nervous about flying on that model plane anyway since the two other deadly accidents related to the software issue. But I’ve flown on one many times now (ETA on Max 800, didn’t realize there was an 900) and it is a beautiful, quiet ride. My DS is studying to become a pilot and he seemed to have faith in it, so I took my cues from him. (I hate to fly, really!) Many airlines use the 737 Max model of plane, it’s not new.

Last edited:
We recently watched Downfall ( a documentary about Boeing) on Netflix, I think. I'm not at all surprised about the news of this accident.

Boeing became like every other corporation when it placed profits over safety.

Highly recommend that documentary!

Almost 12,000 737 have been delivered to customers with another 4000 yet to be produced. No other plane type has had more deliveries.

https://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm

The stats are a little out of date but the 737 family has flown over 238 million flights. No other plane type is even close.

The Max stats do look bad but are skewed by two crashes but investigations into those crashes found a multitude of safety violations that worked to cause the crash.

Here is a summary of the Lion Air findings:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50177788

Some of the most damning non Boeing caused findings:
The 353-page report found the jet should have been grounded before departing on the fatal flight because of an earlier cockpit issue.

However, because the issue was not recorded properly the plane was allowed to take off without the fault being fixed, it said.

Further, a crucial sensor - which had been bought from a repair shop in Florida - had not been properly tested, the report found. On Friday, the US aviation regulator revoked the company's certification.

Further, the report found that the first officer, who had performed poorly in training, struggled to run through a list of procedures that he should have had memorised.

The report also found that 31 pages were missing from the plane's maintenance log.

Does that sound like an airline you want to fly, on any type of plane?

Boeing certainly shares some of the blame for designing a system that had a single point of failure but as the report said it was a sequence of events that if just one had not occured, perhaps the crash would not have occured.

The Ethiopian 737 Max crash report blamed it all on Boeing. The Ethiopian investigation appears to have been less than impartial in their investigation and the NTSB released their own addendum to the report which highlights many misleading elements in the Ethiopian report. The end result is a report very similar to the Lion Air findings that poor training, poor maintenance, poor design, and a multitude of errors led to the crash.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Documents/Response to EAIB final report.pdf

The moral of the story is watch what airlines you fly, that is a much bigger concern than the plane variant.

There is a very different culture of training and maintenance when comparing the US to Europe to Asia to Africa.

The pictures they show on the news shows the entire window blown out???!!! I sure hope that didn't happen. What a very serious and scary situation.

The pictures they show on the news shows the entire window blown out???!!! I sure hope that didn't happen. What a very serious and scary situation.

More than a window, and from what I've learned here it was an emergency exit door that was "plugged" up....to reconfigure the plane to suit the airline. And this happens all of time. They just need to check the bolts.

Partial grounding of 737 fleet

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/06/1223296736/boeing-737-max-9-planes-grounded

The Federal Aviation Administration on Saturday ordered the grounding and immediate inspection of about 171 Boeing 737 Max 9 aircraft worldwide after a mid-flight emergency late Friday involving one of the planes operated by Alaska Airlines.

"The FAA is requiring immediate inspections of certain Boeing 737 MAX 9 planes before they can return to flight," FAA Administrator Mike Whitaker said in a statement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter