Boardwalk vs. Wilderness Lodge/FW with little ones.

2019TripIdeas

Mouseketeer
Hi-
We are doing our first Disney World trip with kids (have done DL before) and just booked for Boardwalk in late January.

Originally we were planning to do POFQ but when we realized we'd have to do lots of folding/unfolding our double stroller, opted to go with Boardwalk (for walkability) or Wildnerness Lodge (for boat transport). We ended up with Boardwalk because it was slightly cheaper though I was fine with the price of both but I'm wondering if there's anything "special" for little ones to make it magical at Boardwalk?

With Wildnerness Lodge we were hoping for the Snow White character meal to be going by then, and there were all the perks of being able to walk to Fort Wildnerness, HoopDeeDoo, Chip n Dale campfire, the stables, etc that I think our kids would've loved.

For reference, our kids will be 4, 2, and 1. Staying in one room is not an issue at all (they're fine with regular beds, don't need bed rails, can share a bed though we'll probably try to get a crib/pack n play for the 1 year old). We'll likely be on the Rope Drop/back to resort for afternoon/dinner in Epcot (or resort area) schedule. Won't be staying out particularly late minus 1 or 2 nights for fireworks.

I guess I'm questioning if Wildnerness Lodge (or cheaper yet, a cabin at Ford Wildnerness) would've been more ideal for our kids ages. Can anyone reassure me on why you love Boardwalk with kids?

My little ones are 4 and 2 and nothing beats 1. Walkability to two parks. 2. All the offerings around the lake area 3. Strolling back into Epcot via the IG right before the LOs bedtime, heck just being able to pop into Epcot ANYTIME you want.

We are doing WL (CCVs) this November and Im actually a little remiss not being at the YC/BC/BW area.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/best-resort-for-18-month-old.3711848/#post-59858185

Big thread with very similar answers is active now too.

I am partial to the Wilderness Lodge. One big plus of WL is that you have a quick service, family restaurant and now character dining under one roof. So if there are weather issues, you don't need to worry about having to venture outside to eat. I absolutely love the theming at WL also. There's a lot to explore in the lobby.
You will have a great trip either way, but my vote would be with WL. Happy planning!

Hi-
We are doing our first Disney World trip with kids (have done DL before) and just booked for Boardwalk in late January.

Originally we were planning to do POFQ but when we realized we'd have to do lots of folding/unfolding our double stroller, opted to go with Boardwalk (for walkability) or Wildnerness Lodge (for boat transport). We ended up with Boardwalk because it was slightly cheaper though I was fine with the price of both but I'm wondering if there's anything "special" for little ones to make it magical at Boardwalk?

With Wildnerness Lodge we were hoping for the Snow White character meal to be going by then, and there were all the perks of being able to walk to Fort Wildnerness, HoopDeeDoo, Chip n Dale campfire, the stables, etc that I think our kids would've loved.

For reference, our kids will be 4, 2, and 1. Staying in one room is not an issue at all (they're fine with regular beds, don't need bed rails, can share a bed though we'll probably try to get a crib/pack n play for the 1 year old). We'll likely be on the Rope Drop/back to resort for afternoon/dinner in Epcot (or resort area) schedule. Won't be staying out particularly late minus 1 or 2 nights for fireworks.

I guess I'm questioning if Wildnerness Lodge (or cheaper yet, a cabin at Ford Wildnerness) would've been more ideal for our kids ages. Can anyone reassure me on why you love Boardwalk with kids?

It's kind of a toss-up for me. WL is gorgeous and you will have fairly quick access to Ft. W (the walk is a bit long, though. You can take one of the smaller boats, but you'll have to fold the stroller). You can also boat to MK or CR and have access to all of the monorail resorts. The transportation to the other parks isn't great, however, IMHO, as WL typically shares a bus with Ft. W. I, personally, would not recommend the cabins with kids that age. The campground is spread out and unless you rent a golf cart, you will be relying on internal buses to get everywhere at Ft. W. The rooms are also smaller at WL. One bonus, though, is the pool area - WL has a great splash pad for little kids.

Boardwalk is our favorite resort, but my DS is older than your kids and can navigate that pool and the bigger slide. The rooms are bigger at Boardwalk, but the biggest perk is walking to two parks and a ton of restaurants and other amenities. If transportation convenience is your biggest criteria, Boardwalk is the way to go.

Given the ages of your kids I would opt for WL. We’ve never stayed at Boardwalk but when our kids were younger we didn’t spend as much time at Epcot as we do now that they’re teenagers. Most our time was at MK and AK when they were younger. And HS typically doesn’t take a whole day given all the construction. But of course every family and how they visit is different.

At WL the boat to MK is convenient and the theming is beautiful and relaxing after a busy day at the park. And as PP stated, you don’t have to go outside to get to the restaurants, which is good if the weather is bad. Best of luck in your planning and have a great trip!

I think either resort would be fine but you will have a lot less strolling folding if you stay at the Boardwalk.

Pros for the Boardwalk:
-walk to two parks
-larger room, most of them have a daybed along with two queens
-small children's playground

Pros for the WL:
- restaurants are indoors and better food options than BWI
- children's splash pad and small slide at the main pool
- quiet pool is zero entry

It depends on how you like to spend your vacation. If you would enjoy strolling into Epcot every day, which is something that we love to do, then you would like BWI. If you plan to spend a lot of time at your resort and don't plan to go to the parks too often, then WL would be nice. The food options are better at WL. But you have all of Epcot and the other Epcot resorts for places to eat when staying at the BWI. We love the WL but we also love staying at an Epcot resort. They both have their good points. :)

Thank you all for feedback so far. This is a tough call!
I think we're leaning toward sticking with Boardwalk because I do think we'll be in Epcot a lot. Not totally sure yet- we have Artist Point booked one night so we'll get to go over to WL either way to check it out.

The daybed in BWI- is that like the fold-down deal that some of the moderates have? Or something I should've requested on our room reservation?

The Day beds at the BWI are a Sleeper Sofa that folds out to a bed. Yes you should request one since not all rooms have a day bed, many, many, many rooms have a Day Bed it they are not available in 100% of the rooms.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter