Boardwalk vs. Beach Club

autismgoesdisney

DIS Veteran
I used to visit this board so often as we would visit Disney every year, but recently decided to give Disney a break and skipped the past two years. We all agree that we are going back in August of 2019.

We are a family of five. Mom, dad, 15 year old girl, 13 year old boy and 11 year old girl at the time of the trip. We are now considering Boardwalk and Beach Club for our next vacation. We stayed at Beach Club one night a few years ago, so the kids want to try Boardwalk this time. They say we won't be at the resort enough to enjoy the pool. However, the Beach Club is actually $33 cheaper for us plus has that pool so I can't figure out why we wouldn't stay at Beach Club.

We have always stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (except one year when we did CBR - and boy did we miss POR), however, we are praying for free dining and I see free dining wasn't available at POR last year but was available at Boardwalk and Beach Club so I figure that's our best chances, which would make those resorts cheaper than POR for us.

At any rate, help me! What makes Boardwalk special or better than the Beach Club?

I used to visit this board so often as we would visit Disney every year, but recently decided to give Disney a break and skipped the past two years. We all agree that we are going back in August of 2019.

We are a family of five. Mom, dad, 15 year old girl, 13 year old boy and 11 year old girl at the time of the trip. We are now considering Boardwalk and Beach Club for our next vacation. We stayed at Beach Club one night a few years ago, so the kids want to try Boardwalk this time. They say we won't be at the resort enough to enjoy the pool. However, the Beach Club is actually $33 cheaper for us plus has that pool so I can't figure out why we wouldn't stay at Beach Club.

We have always stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (except one year when we did CBR - and boy did we miss POR), however, we are praying for free dining and I see free dining wasn't available at POR last year but was available at Boardwalk and Beach Club so I figure that's our best chances, which would make those resorts cheaper than POR for us.

At any rate, help me! What makes Boardwalk special or better than the Beach Club?
Who said you wouldn't be there enough to enjoy the pool? Your kids are the perfect age to enjoy Stormalong Bay at Beach Club. I strongly recommend Beach Club.

Boardwalk Inn is very nice, btw, as is Beach Club, but it's pool doesn't compare to Stormalong Bay.

Having stayed at both, my choice would be BWI. There's nothing wrong with the BC as we had a nice stay, we just weren't wow'd by the resort overall and we found SAB just ok (didn't see what all the hype was about with it). With that said, I don't think one resort is better than the other, it's just personal preference. Both are nice resorts, it just depends on which theme/decor/ambiance you like more. Good luck!

Well, I can't answer your question on what might make BWI special or better than BC, but I can tell you that we just did a Free Dining trip last week and stayed at BC. We thought it was the perfect place to stay for Free Dining! I can't compare it to the BWI in terms of the Dining Plan, but things that stood out for us at BC are: the Marketplace had create-your-own salads and sub/wraps which we really enjoyed for QS. Also, BC has those coke freestyle machines which took me a while to figure out and find something I loved, but I eventually did, and I believe all 4 of us used that machine at least 10x a day each! It was a great value for us.

When staying at the BC, we always make sure we take time to enjoy the pool. My kids are similar in age to yours and they love SAB more than any pool in Disney. Last week, we got chairs up on the top part and really enjoyed the peacefulness up there, while my kids came and went to go down the slide and float around too.

I'm all for trying new places, though, so if your kids really want BWI then it can't hurt to try it! We've stayed there a few times - it's nice to experience different things.

Both resorts are very nice, you really cannot go wrong with either option. My favorite is Boardwalk Inn, but with the ages of your girls, the Beach Club might be a better choice with the quick service options. As a family, you can always walk over to the Boardwalk for the night-time entertainment and restaurants. The Epcot resort area is a wonderful place to stay on a Disney vacation. Plus, with the lower cost of the room, you can use the savings for a special event or souvenirs.

Enjoy your magical vacation!

My 20's sons have preferred BWI over BC for several years now. We did BC multiple times in the earlier years (5-11yo). They like the easy access to World Showcase so they prefer the Epcot area to MK area.

None of my kids were pool fanatics after early teens so that doesn't sway them. I feel like BWI had a more grown up atmosphere than BC as well. Kids loved the omelette station on Sunday at BWI CL.

Free dining happens to fill empty rooms. If you book the room ahead of time, you'll have to cancel and rebook a room in the free dining category. You can't just change your existing reservation to free dining if the availability isn't there. If most of the rooms are already booked, that will reduce the number of rooms available for free dining.

My 15 year old and 11 year old looove BC. That said, we stayed at BWI this trip, and that is their new favorite. Believe it or not, they actually preferred the BWI pool. They thought the slide was more fun, and they liked that the pool was not as spread out. They also adored the entertainment on the BW. That said, we would not hesitate to stay at either.

We much prefer the theming at BWI and also enjoy the atmosphere at night. We actually really like the pool - it's more compact and the slide is much faster. Honestly, they are both great. I would book whichever is cheapest as you can't go wrong either way.

Both resorts are nice and both are within walking distance to Epcot's IG entrance which is a HUGE perk about staying at either of these two resorts! With that said, if I really had to pick one then I would go with BWI, there is some extra special about this resort, I love the turn-of-the-century charm and the boardwalk area around the lake with the shops/restaurants is a spectacular sight to see especially at night when it is all lit up!

Also keep in mind that regardless of which of these two resorts you pick to stay, they are both within walking distance to each other so you can still visit both while you are there! :)

Last edited:
all three epcot resorts are great. If the pool is not an issue- then BW should be fine...( are we talking 35 per night or for the entire trip??) I personally don't like the smell of the lobby of the BC due to the nightly seafood buffet that seems (to me ) permeate.....love the YC however- kids love the giant globe- monkey lamps etc....But BWI is awesome as well. ....bottom line- can't miss- only harm is not booking in time then having to book elsewhere

They are very similar in terms of amenities, and basically the same in terms of location. It mostly comes down to the difference in theme. Beach Club does have a more impressive pool area but in August, I would expect it to be busy. Most people choose to stay at Beach Club for Stormalong Bay, and will take advantage of it while there. Boardwalk has more dining options, and slightly more quick service offerings as well. There's also good places for lunch at the Boardwalk that don't require ADRs, such as ESPN Club and Big River Grille.

We are hoping to stay at BC in May just to try it out. Everytime we stayed at BWV it seemed like we always ran to BC for our QS meals. I love the quiet pool at BWV. Just so relaxing. I know BWV seems very compact. I bet after I stay at both (crossing fingers that May happens) I will love both.

I've stayed at both resorts multiple times and they are both awesome. So, as others have said, you can't go wrong with whichever you choose.

That being said, if you are looking for reasons to prefer BWI over BC, here's what would make my list:

1. There's a few new restaurants at the Boardwalk since your last trip two years ago, so you would be closer to those (although still not far from BC)
2. BWI is closer to DHS via the walking paths
3. The entertainment on the Boardwalk is fun and right outside your door.
4. BWI is also closer to Swan/Dolphin and the Fantasia mini-golf
5. BC lobby gets loud and crowded in the morning (character breakfast) and evening (buffet); no issues like that at BWI

Don't know if those are enough to sway your decision, but those are my thoughts.

Every year we think lets try BC and every time we go back to BWV.

A patio or full size balcony is a must. BC has fewer full size balconies and some with no balcony.

We stayed at the YC instead, we did really like the pool

Another vote for the Boardwalk. For all of the reason stated above. DW and I have stayed there many times. We love the theming and the ambience of the Boardwalk, especially in the evening. Unless your kids are planning to spend a lot of time at the pool. StormAlong Bay is one of the best on site.

And from a few recent posts on the Boardwalk thread here on the Resorts forum the Disney executives and board members stay at the Boardwalk when they visit WDW.

Beach Club was always a "dream" resort for us. We stayed there last year and just wasn't impressed. It's nice, don't get me wrong; but it just didn't live up to Boardwalk for us. Boardwalk pool was great and we spent more time in it than any other pool on property. But honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either resort.

I HATE BWV. I'd stay anyplace rather than there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter