• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boardwalk owner studio availability? (Jan/Feb, Oct/Nov)

Harsh dose of reality. Now what if I get the BWV points at a really fair resale price and budget for the pool view?
Pool view is a reasonable expectation. There are a whole lot of them. Maybe you get unlucky, but generally this is bookable. You should budget for pool view when considering BW points. The standard discount shifts the math, but just isn't going to happen.

Pool view is a reasonable expectation. There are a whole lot of them. Maybe you get unlucky, but generally this is bookable. You should budget for pool view when considering BW points. The standard discount shifts the math, but just isn't going to happen.
I’ve yet to stay there but I should be totally fine with both Saratoga and OKW when aiming to save on points. But now I’m curious if the BW pool view is hard to get during cheap September 🤔

I had an owner ready to book me at 11 months for a standard studio for November 2021. It was already gone. Higher points studios were the only ones available but we just went to a standard view one bedroom for a few points more.... so thats what we ended up doing

Do not purchase BWV with the intent to usually get standard view studios unless you like spending lots of time "walking" reservations (and constantly checking daily at 8 a.m.to even see if you can start a walk), and going on wait-lists while also checking constantly to see if the time you want opens up after 11-months out, and even doing all that work may not get what you want.

An owner for any DVC resort can book a room, up to 7-nights, beginning 8 a.m. eastern, 11-months out from date of arrival. On a daily basis throughout the year, BWV standard studios usually fill within moments after 8 a.m. at 11-months out. The winners are those whose computers communicate right at 8 a.m. faster with Disney's than the many others who fail. The same problem exists for boardwalk view studios during the high to extremely high demand season for DVC rooms at WDW, which runs from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan. And note that first week of Dec is the highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW, and for that week even the pool/garden view studios may in some years disappear for some days right at 11-months out, otherwise pool/garden view studios are usually easy to get if you do so at 11-months out, although that was not true for Sep 2023 through Jan 2024, when even pool-garden studios were filling many days right at 11-months out early in the morning, but that was caused by a refurbishment that is going on for BWV, and DVC has actually closed all the boardwalk view rooms for part of Sep through almost Thanksgiinvg 2023, and has closed all the standard view rooms from Jan 1 through end of Feb 2024.

As to other two resorts that end in 2042, BCV and BRV, BRV has never had an 11-month-out problem for making reservations, and BCV has rarely had the problem --in some years in the past a couple days during the first week of Dec and and for NYE (the highest demand night of the year) disappeared right at 8 a.m. at 11-months out.

OKW which actually does not expire until 2057, but has a lot of outstanding contracts that expire 2042, has never had a problem getting studios at 11-months out. The only rooms at OKW which have that problem are the GV's in the near Hospitality House booking category.

If looking at resorts other than the 2042 resorts, be aware that AKV value and club level studios also have the year round 11-month problem getting reservations, the BLT standard view studios have the issue in that high demand season and at times during the rest of the year, the BLT theme park view studios can have the issue during that first week of Dec, and the VGF Deluxe Studios, as opposed to the newer Resort Studios, have also had the issue at times during that high demand season.

Last edited:
The whole month of September requires walking or taking what’s left after the walkers go by. I moved my trip to the last week in august since I could not get the first week or any week in September.

Once you have to go Pool view it is basically the same points as RR SV so any other week outside of September rains I would just go RR

I’ve yet to stay there but I should be totally fine with both Saratoga and OKW when aiming to save on points. But now I’m curious if the BW pool view is hard to get during cheap September 🤔
I would get enough points to book pool view if your budget allows. If you don't want to deal with walking, you can book the pool view and immediately place waitlist for standard. You probably want enough points so that you do not have to borrow to do so. I hate borrowing and then having borrowed points I'm using, current points I'm banking yada yada. It's just messy.

I only have a 60 point BWV contract. I also have (small points) at SSR. I've squeezed out a lot of trips from my membership. If I'm short on points, another strategy is to book my stay 1 night short and then try to tack on 1 day at the beginning or end at the 7 month mark. I also buy OTU points fairly frequently and it's a bit of a hassle but I am more likely to buy OTU points than borrow. I don't know, I use all the strategies, but it takes some work. But it's worth it when I've ended up with 5 nights at BWV for 45 points. I bought direct in 2017 and I calculate my current cost per point at around $15 with dues (so it's not great compared to others) but that's still in line with a value resort price.

We enjoy SSR and I honestly loved OKW but it's a whole different vibe. I just wanted to sit on my balcony all day. At SSR we like walking to Springs every night for drinks, entertainment, etc.

I have a hard time spending the points on more expensive rooms. My daughter stayed at Riv on our SSR points and said it was fine, we stayed at Poly and it was fine, but the point usage made me enjoy it a little less. I have higher expectations if I'm spending more (whether points or dollars).

BLT and CCV (or BRV) are up next on my bucket list. I've had AKV standard booked a few times and ended up switching or cancelling. Those rooms are also "cheap" but again, if you allow yourself points for BWV p/g, you give yourself room to book several other rooms if they should happen to be available.

Sorry, that was a lot of extra info. lol

How many trips per year are you planning and how many points are you considering buying?

I would get enough points to book pool view if your budget allows. If you don't want to deal with walking, you can book the pool view and immediately place waitlist for standard. You probably want enough points so that you do not have to borrow to do so. I hate borrowing and then having borrowed points I'm using, current points I'm banking yada yada. It's just messy.

I only have a 60 point BWV contract. I also have (small points) at SSR. I've squeezed out a lot of trips from my membership. If I'm short on points, another strategy is to book my stay 1 night short and then try to tack on 1 day at the beginning or end at the 7 month mark. I also buy OTU points fairly frequently and it's a bit of a hassle but I am more likely to buy OTU points than borrow. I don't know, I use all the strategies, but it takes some work. But it's worth it when I've ended up with 5 nights at BWV for 45 points. I bought direct in 2017 and I calculate my current cost per point at around $15 with dues (so it's not great compared to others) but that's still in line with a value resort price.

We enjoy SSR and I honestly loved OKW but it's a whole different vibe. I just wanted to sit on my balcony all day. At SSR we like walking to Springs every night for drinks, entertainment, etc.

I have a hard time spending the points on more expensive rooms. My daughter stayed at Riv on our SSR points and said it was fine, we stayed at Poly and it was fine, but the point usage made me enjoy it a little less. I have higher expectations if I'm spending more (whether points or dollars).

BLT and CCV (or BRV) are up next on my bucket list. I've had AKV standard booked a few times and ended up switching or cancelling. Those rooms are also "cheap" but again, if you allow yourself points for BWV p/g, you give yourself room to book several other rooms if they should happen to be available.

Sorry, that was a lot of extra info. lol

How many trips per year are you planning and how many points are you considering buying?
Appreciate all the info. I’m currently debating 100 or 125 and would like to do 3 short trips a year. My budget requires some 9-10 nights but no biggie if that means OKW if no BW SV. 110-125 definitely makes it easier to account for pool view and be done with it. OTU is also an option for me, buying 5pts here and there will end up being cheaper than fees for 25 extra points every year.

I’ve played around with the idea of getting 100pts, waiting a bit and maybe getting 25pts at VGF, so I have a small chunk of points that last past 2042.

Do not purchase BWV with the intent to usually get standard view studios unless you like spending lots of time "walking" reservations (and constantly checking daily at 8 a.m.to even see if you can start a walk), and going on wait-lists while also checking constantly to see if the time you want opens up after 11-months out, and even doing all that work may not get what you want.

An owner for any DVC resort can book a room, up to 7-nights, beginning 8 a.m. eastern, 11-months out from date of arrival. On a daily basis throughout the year, BWV standard studios usually fill within moments after 8 a.m. at 11-months out. The winners are those whose computers communicate right at 8 a.m. faster with Disney's than the many others who fail. The same problem exists for boardwalk view studios during the high to extremely high demand season for DVC rooms at WDW, which runs from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan. And note that first week of Dec is the highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW, and for that week even the pool/garden view studios may in some years disappear for some days right at 11-months out, otherwise pool/garden view studios are usually easy to get if you do so at 11-months out, although that was not true for Sep 2023 through Jan 2024, when even pool-garden studios were filling many days right at 11-months out early in the morning, but that was caused by a refurbishment that is going on for BWV, and DVC has actually closed all the boardwalk view rooms for part of Sep through almost Thanksgiinvg 2023, and has closed all the standard view rooms from Jan 1 through end of Feb 2024.

As to other two resorts that end in 2042, BCV and BRV, BRV has never had an 11-month-out problem for making reservations, and BCV has rarely had the problem --in some years in the past a couple days during the first week of Dec and and for NYE (the highest demand night of the year) disappeared right at 8 a.m. at 11-months out.

OKW which actually does not expire until 2057, but has a lot of outstanding contracts that expire 2042, has never had a problem getting studios at 11-months out. The only rooms at OKW which have that problem are the GV's in the near Hospitality House booking category.

If looking at resorts other than the 2042 resorts, be aware that AKV value and club level studios also have the year round 11-month problem getting reservations, the BLT standard view studios have the issue in that high demand season and at times during the rest of the year, the BLT theme park view studios can have the issue during that first week of Dec, and the VGF Deluxe Studios, as opposed to the newer Resort Studios, have also had the issue at times during that high demand season.
Thanks for all the good info. How are OKW and Saratoga during these busy DVC months like Sept and Dec if booking from 7 months out?

Thanks for all the good info. How are OKW and Saratoga during these busy DVC months like Sept and Dec if booking from 7 months out?
There are some "extremely" high demand times during that high demand season: first two weeks of Dec, Christmas week, Thanksginvg week, wine & dine race weekend (Thurs to Sun) in first part of Nov, marathon weekend (Thurs to Sun) in Jan, and the Thurs before Columbus Day in Oct to weekend after Columbus Day. Those are times when OKW studios a have a real risk of filling before 7-months out, some risk can exist at other times but they are usually open. SSR studios can also fill before 7-months out for time in the first two weeks of Dec, time in the Chriistmas week around NYE, Tues to Sat of Thanksgiving week, and those race weekends, but usually not that Oct period or other times in the high demand season.

Also be aware that though SSR and OKW studios are usually open at 7-months out from mid-Jan to mid-Sep, they have often filled before 7-months out for the Thurs-Sun of Princess half-marathon weekend in late Feb, which is the highest DVC demand time during that mid-Jan to mid-Sep period.

BWV Owner here. We only book SV villas with our precious BWV points.

Jan - Studios No problem at 11 months.
May - Studios No problem at 11 months. An occasional Wait List.
Sept - 1 BR No problem at 11 months. We don't do Studios in Sept.
Dec - Studios Often have to Wait List for a SV, but it has always come through rather quickly.

We don't travel to WDW the rest of the year to best optimize our points usage and crowd level.

There are some "extremely" high demand times during that high demand season: first two weeks of Dec, Christmas week, Thanksginvg week, wine & dine race weekend (Thurs to Sun) in first part of Nov, marathon weekend (Thurs to Sun) in Jan, and the Thurs before Columbus Day in Oct to weekend after Columbus Day. Those are times when OKW studios a have a real risk of filling before 7-months out, some risk can exist at other times but they are usually open. SSR studios can also fill before 7-months out for time in the first two weeks of Dec, time in the Chriistmas week around NYE, Tues to Sat of Thanksgiving week, and those race weekends, but usually not that Oct period or other times in the high demand season.

Also be aware that though SSR and OKW studios are usually open at 7-months out from mid-Jan to mid-Sep, they have often filled before 7-months out for the Thurs-Sun of Princess half-marathon weekend in late Feb, which is the highest DVC demand time during that mid-Jan to mid-Sep period.
Awesome, going to screen shot all these dates. I’m not attached to any of those dates so not a problem, although I may deal with December craziness every couple of years. I’m starting to memorize the marathon dates so I can eventually overlook those weekend instinctually lol

BWV Owner here. We only book SV villas with our precious BWV points.

Jan - Studios No problem at 11 months.
May - Studios No problem at 11 months. An occasional Wait List.
Sept - 1 BR No problem at 11 months. We don't do Studios in Sept.
Dec - Studios Often have to Wait List for a SV, but it has always come through rather quickly.

We don't travel to WDW the rest of the year to best optimize our points usage and crowd level.
Thanks, looks like positive news on the waitlist. I don’t plan on staying at BW every trip (unless I do get the SV), but I might up my points purchase a tiny bit to get garden view and not sweat the points as much.

I have nothing locking me into certain travel months (besides the weather), so I can be flexible to chase the slow/cheap weekdays. 50% chance the lower points purchase works out just fine too.

Appreciate all the info. I’m currently debating 100 or 125 and would like to do 3 short trips a year. My budget requires some 9-10 nights but no biggie if that means OKW if no BW SV. 110-125 definitely makes it easier to account for pool view and be done with it. OTU is also an option for me, buying 5pts here and there will end up being cheaper than fees for 25 extra points every year.

I’ve played around with the idea of getting 100pts, waiting a bit and maybe getting 25pts at VGF, so I have a small chunk of points that last past 2042.

We started with 60 BWV and added 30 SSR. Honestly, we would be 100% fine with just that for one long trip or 3 short trips, or alternating between both. Our travel habits are rapidly changing and we now need more.

I think you will be absolutely fine for OKW/SSR in Sept and Dec if you're open to either and flexible on dates. There are no guarantees, of course. The shorter trips and flexible dates are key. Something will be open. September will be easier than December. A lot of peoples experiences reflect them looking for specific dates and 5+nights. Those of us with flexibility and looking for a few nights have a different view. (Same with those booking 1 bedrooms.)

We started with 60 BWV and added 30 SSR. Honestly, we would be 100% fine with just that for one long trip or 3 short trips, or alternating between both. Our travel habits are rapidly changing and we now need more.

I think you will be absolutely fine for OKW/SSR in Sept and Dec if you're open to either and flexible on dates. There are no guarantees, of course. The shorter trips and flexible dates are key. Something will be open. September will be easier than December. A lot of peoples experiences reflect them looking for specific dates and 5+nights. Those of us with flexibility and looking for a few nights have a different view. (Same with those booking 1 bedrooms.)
Yeah I’m mainly aiming for 3-4 nights, needing 5 nights will be rare, so hopefully that helps my odds. Ideally I’d like to get 3 trips a year without doing a 2-night trip. September being obtainable and also being the cheapest month across DVC really helps out my math. I suppose I have to contend with hurricanes that month, but otherwise the heat and humidity are on the tail end.

Bumping up to the next level of points could mean 3 4-night trips at OKW a year but a noticeable overall price increase with maintenance fees (and ideally 1 of those trips in a BW SV instead)

Agree - budget for Pool View, and maybe get lucky with Std view once in a while.
Notable that the BWView requires same #Points, AND that BCV is about the same. So when you can grab BWView, go for it, and sometimes at 7 Mo you can parlay those BWV Points for BCV and enjoy SAB!
That’s our current working strategy. Std View Studios were more readily available pre-mid-COVID, and I’m hoping things normalize post-COVID, so we can grab those again in 2025 and beyond.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter