• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boardwalk or Beach Club

eandt

But Why is the Rum Always Gone?? DVC/AP
Considering a very small (30 point) add on at BWV/BCV (we own at AKL) in order to get the 11 month window for 3-4 days in a studio every other year during the festivals. We have had short stays at both recently and there are pros/cons to each but looking for any "veteran" info that might help us make a decision. The cost difference on this small of a contract (direct) is not a concern. Which would you choose and why?

Boardwalk because the standard studio villas are cheap points. Honestly I'd try for a bit bigger contract (50+ points) as closing costs will be the same and you will get another night out of your contract. Try for a fully loaded so you can bank points...ideal would be 2020 banked into 2021 so you always have double points, well, until you use them LOL!

We own quite a few small contracts that we blend with bigger contracts. I have two 30 point stand alone contracts (other contracts same UY so 7 month availability) that I should have held out for 50 points so they are more useable on their own. I'm selling a 25 point now and may sell a couple more 25-30 point contracts for that reason (all profitable though).

Buying too few points will be a constant frustration. Good luck!

Yeah, if you're going for a small contract (50 points or less), go with BWV. Your points will go a lot farther with a "Standard View" room.

Boardwalk

Only thing better about Beach Club is the pool area. As even getting to the park it's barely any further to Epcot but much closer to HS.

Only thing better about Beach Club is the pool area. As even getting to the park it's barely any further to Epcot but much closer to HS.
BCV definitely has a following, which I cannot figure out, and I've stayed at BCV about 5 times. I find BCV's Stormalong Bay difficult to navigate, having to cross over all sorts of isthmuses and climb stairs. Then the sandy part of the pool is just messy, while the lazy river is too deep. Worst of all, it's nearly always difficult to find a chair there. Stormalong Bay is just too much work for what's supposed to be a relaxing afternoon at the pool. More often than not, we simply go to the quiet pool.

Of course, BWV does not have a food court, a major disadvantage. But my spouse loves their soup and sandwich combo.

Boardwalk because the standard studio villas are cheap points. Honestly I'd try for a bit bigger contract (50+ points) as closing costs will be the same and you will get another night out of your contract. Try for a fully loaded so you can bank points...ideal would be 2020 banked into 2021 so you always have double points, well, until you use them LOL!

We own quite a few small contracts that we blend with bigger contracts. I have two 30 point stand alone contracts (other contracts same UY so 7 month availability) that I should have held out for 50 points so they are more useable on their own. I'm selling a 25 point now and may sell a couple more 25-30 point contracts for that reason (all profitable though).

Buying too few points will be a constant frustration. Good luck!
Thank you! We originally were thinking 50 but have more or less settled on 30 , with bank/borrow that should get us the 4-6 nights every other year we were looking for, we have the AKL points as well. We plan to buy direct with these as we did our first contract for the ease and convenience of the transaction. We do look at the resale sites but not fans of the stalking and waiting for a contract that matches our UY and makes sense for us.

Why worry about the stress to book a lower point villa category, or trying for a boardwalk view, or walking your reservation at BWV. Only one point chart category at BCV. Log in, book, and your done. The main pool sure is better when you are in it rather than walking by looking at it. The quiet pool is right out the door. With the detached building, nice having your own sitting area to chill. The hallways are shorter. Have fun deciding.

Can’t go wrong with either; bwv has the std rooms that are hard to get but the best bang for you buck room. Bcv has a cult following bc of storm along bay pool. Harder to get into BCV.

small 30-50 point? I would do BWV and stalk the std rooms.

OP, don't forget that the Pandemic has taught us that DVC can limit borrowing. So keep that in mind when determining the number of points you want.
Yes ty I have it figured to be able to borrow 50% if needed to complete a 4-6 day stay every other year. We don't mind split stays either so can pick up a day or two some place with AK points as well if we want to extend. We used our "free" points from when we bought our AKV contact in June to stay at both BWV and BCV during F&W, we really liked things about both but do agree the points can potentially go farther at BWV (although the BWV room we had was amazing! so might be a wash) .... appreciate the comments from everyone!

IMO, it would be BCV. Easily. Other have mentioned Stormalong Bay, which is great and a really fun way to spend a pool day. But the food court is also really nice and is a fantastic option for something quick. Not to mention Beaches and Cream, which is a really fun place to get lunch. And the entrance to Epcot is like 100 yards from the hotel. It's amazing. We always get park hoppers and after a day at one of the other parks we will pop over to Epcot for a nightcap. There is nothing comparable to how ridiculously short of a walk it is from BCV to Epcot. Walking at a normal pace will get you to the Epcot gate in about 3-4 minutes. It's a great feeling when you leave Epcot at closing time (tired and with sore feet) and walk by the incredibly long line for the Skyliner, knowing you will be at your resort in a short 3 minute walk.

If your primary purpose is to stay during festivals, BCV is a fantastic option.

if you dont consider yourself pool people and only go to the pool once a trip and won't make use of pool amenities, it's a no-brainer: bwv. i feel like not having a food court at bwv won't be the end of the world as you are insanely close to epcot and a bunch of QS dining options along the boardwalk

From your post it appears that you might be considering buying BWV to get a BWV standard view studio with the small contract you may purchase. In that case, go with BCV not BWV unless you are prepared for a lot of frustration, The BWV standard view studios are low point cost but they also have one of the most severe reservation problems that exist with DVC. Owners can book starting online at 8 a.m. at 11-months from date of arrival. For most of the year (and particularly during any "festival" times), the BWV standard view studios disappear for any given arrival date right at 8 a.m. at 11-months out. The winners are simply those whose computers communicate faster with Disney's computer than all the others trying to reserve at the same time. The BWV boardwalk view studios have had that same issue during the high demand fall season and occasionally during other parts of the year.

BCV has rarely had that issue for studios. Sometimes it has happened for time during the first of week of December and time around NYE, its two highest demand times of the year, but otherwise its studios are usually open long enough to easily book them at 11-months out.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that even if the OP cannot get a BWV Standard View Studio, they can still book a Water View or Boardwalk View Studio at BWV for the same number of points as BCV. (BCV and BWV rooms, other than BWV Standard View, tend to require the same number of points per night.)

BWV Water View rooms tend to be easy to book at 11 months, just as easy as BCV Studios. Thus, there’s no downside to owning at BWV, only upside.

The most often listed reason to buy at BCV is Stormalong Bay. Some of us actually don’t like Stormalong Bay - it’s nearly always tough to get a seat and difficult to get around. The lazy river takes up a lot of space and is deep in many places. The sand they use in the zero entry area is not soft. In addition, you actually have to leave the pool area to get to the water slide, making it difficult to keep track of children.

I get that many love Stormalong Bay. I am not one of them.

As far as the BCV food court goes, it’s not really a food court. Instead, there is very limited seating in the hallway. The Boardwalk Bakery serves much of the same food, and you have to sit outside there. Wonderful when the weather is nice, terrible when it’s not. (The Grand Floridian, for example, has a real food court.)

You don’t have to stay at the Beach Club to get a reservation at Beaches & Cream. And you can easily visit the Boardwalk when staying at BCV. In addition, if you just want ice cream to go, the Boardwalk has its own ice cream shop.

BCV is closer to Epcot, but BWV is closer to DHS.

Whether direct or resale, BWV costs appreciably less than BCV.

IMIO, choosing between the two mostly comes down to theming - which one appeals to you more?

BWV. You can always try BCV at 7 months. Also shot for 50-100 pts. You will need/use the extra points, trust me. Either way, enjoy your journey!

As an owner of both, BWV mostly for cooler weather stays, and BCV for warmer weather, I don’t think it’s easy to get BWV boardwalk view as some here are suggesting. You can do as well at 7 months, getting pool view with other points. I don’t think a stand alone 30 point contract at BWV is necessarily a good idea.

This is a tough one. I got one of the BC rooms overlooking spaceship earth once and WOW. With the lights on the ball, what a cool view. I like the beach club theming and smell and decor better and the quick service. Also, i have kids in love with stormalong bay.

But BW is better on transportation. Depending on the room, you might be about the same to Epcot or a lot closer to HS. And the standard value room is great value.

I debated between both and eventually chose BCV simply because it’s smaller and harder to book at 7 months. I also like the smaller DVC lobby which is nice and quiet. In 6 years I have yet to use the pool 😝
I love BWV boardwalk view for non-race weekends when I can stay up late and sit out to enjoy the view. But I dislike their overly soft beds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter