Boarding without everyone in your room

lornak

DIS Veteran
i am sailing the WONDER in February and my roommate will be driving to the port later in the afternoon. I would like to arrive and board earlier. Will I be able to check in and board without my roommate???

i am sailing the WONDER in February and my roommate will be driving to the port later in the afternoon. I would like to arrive and board earlier. Will I be able to check in and board without my roommate???
Yes. At least it usually is OK to do that. There have also been a few reports of people being told that their whole party must be present to check in. I don't think that's correct, however.

Yes, I was able to check in and board while my roommate arrived a bit later in the day. We met onboard.

MJ

Hijacking this post to ask a slightly different question:

Does everybody have to be present at check in for all to be checked in?
One thing is checking in separately, as OP describes. Each one checks themselves in and meet onboard.

We plan for me and dd to check in all three while dh returns rental. We could do that last time.
I think this what people have reported not being able to do anymore (at PC).
I hope we will be able to, it feels so much more efficient

One thing is checking in separately, as OP describes. Each one checks themselves in and meet onboard.

We plan for me and dd to check in all three while dh returns rental. We could do that last time.

I'm interested if this has changed as well. We did it this way also our last time on the Fantasy and were planning to again in February.

As far as I know, each person has to actually check in themselves. You can and your daughter can check in, but you husband must check himself in when get gets back to the terminal. Mostly because, the confirm the ID picture that's going to pop up on the KTTW card is good, he may need to have a new picture taken.

Thanks!
That's what I thought. Last time we checked everybody in abd he got his picture taken in the hallway leading to the ship.

I've seen broken party check-ins from time to time over the years. Based on what I've seen, don't worry about it at all! Just show up together or separately, tell the greeter at the front of the great hall what's going on, and Disney takes care of you. Keep separate IDs with each person, of course. Like most everything, Disney makes it easy and is very understanding (especially to undemanding guests!).

I had an experience with this. Traveled on the Fantasy in August. You can check in separately if you'd like, but you can not check in other people. I got separated from my wife and kids and they went ahead and checked in, but they could not check me in. I checked in a few minutes later by myself.

It's a shame that you can't check in your whole party anymore. Now we'll have to decide if we'll wait in the terminal for DH to get back or checkin individually.

It's a shame that you can't check in your whole party anymore. Now we'll have to decide if we'll wait in the terminal for DH to get back or checkin individually.
I wonder if they do this b/c they take your picture for id purposes? If you aren't there they can't take your picture. It's probably a safety thing.

I wonder if they do this b/c they take your picture for id purposes? If you aren't there they can't take your picture. It's probably a safety thing.
Probably. The last time we went, they didn't take pictures. I didn't know that had changed, so I thought I might be able to check DH in. No big deal. We'll figure out a different plan.

Probably. The last time we went, they didn't take pictures. I didn't know that had changed, so I thought I might be able to check DH in. No big deal. We'll figure out a different plan.

That is what it is: picture (the one that pops up on their screen each time you use your KTTW card to get on or off the ship). When I checked in after my family, pretty much the only thing I had to do was say that my paperwork was accurate and get my picture taken. It really didn't slow us down and we still boarded together. But by having them go through the line without me it gave them extra flexibility in case I had been delayed longer.

Note that they don't take your picture every time especially if your last cruise wasn't that long ago. However, I think that they want to confirm that the person checking in actually matches the information provided and any previous pictures. And I suspect that this might not be a DCL decision but a general industry-wide security measure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter