Blue Bayou questions...

disneymoon0606

Mouseketeer
We're going to be at DL celebrating a couple birthdays (my mom and son) and I was able to get an afternoon reservation at BB. We've never eaten there before. What should we know ahead of time? Is there a way to make sure we're seated near POTC? Any tips or food recommendations would be great. Are meals big enough to share?

Thanks!

Hi there. If you want to get the best view of the ride, check in about 20 minutes early and ask for a "waterside table." This will give you a table at the edge of the restaurant near the water and boats. The monte cristo is definitely big enough to share. However, if you split an entree they charge a $12 split fee. Not terrible since it gives each person their choice of side (salad or gumbo) and the plated split entree portion. In my opinion it's plenty to eat for two people. Kiddos seem to like the mac and cheese entree. If your son and mom are wearing a birthday pin, they will bring out a complementary dessert as well. It's a mickey chocolate mousse -- really good! Enjoy your time at the parks!

Last edited:
At check-in, ask for water-side table. May have to wait a few more minutes for your table, but worth it. Years ago, there used to be a TON of noise from the kitchen so I used to ask for awa from the kitchen, but that seems to not be an issue anymore. I have only eaten there a couple times, and enjoyed what I had each time, but can't really make recommendations.

As the PP said, request a waterside table when you check-in. The CMs will usually tell you that there will be a wait for a waterside table (~45 minutes is the most common I've heard), but it's well worth it!

My biggest tip has already been listed. Go early and request a table waterside and say you'll be happy to wait ;) Trust me it's worth it.

Silly tip but if you want the cool souvenir sipper they have for kids they'll totally let you have one with whatever you want to drink in it. My husband did it and felt a little silly but the sipper is awesome LOL

Silly tip but if you want the cool souvenir sipper they have for kids they'll totally let you have one with whatever you want to drink in it. My husband did it and felt a little silly but the sipper is awesome LOL
What does the sipper look like? I've only read about the glow cubes and glow clips...

It is VERY dark inside! Like use your cell phone flashlight dark. I seem to remember last time I ate there, is was easier to read the menus--maybe they have light up menus now? Or better lighting? It is supposed to be dark so it doesn't impinge on the POTC ride.

If you can make a lunch reservation for when they open (at 11:30) and arrive 15 minutes early your chances of waterside table are very good if you request it.

If your party is smaller (2-4 people) your chances of a waterside table are better.

If you party is larger (6 people) they only have two waterside tables that big.

If you party is larger than 6 then you will have to take what you get or be extremely patient.

DW likes the Monte Cristo. I am so-so with that. I like the Flat Iron Steak best and also the Chicken Breast. :)

:wizard:

Can anyone comment on vegetarian options at Blue Bayou?
They do not have any vegetarian items listed on the menu. I know there is a cheese only Monte Cristo, but only listed for cafe Orleans. And the Monte Cristo is also only served at lunch and not dinner at Blue Bayou, or so says the menu.

Can anyone comment on vegetarian options at Blue Bayou?
They do not have any vegetarian items listed on the menu. I know there is a cheese only Monte Cristo, but only listed for cafe Orleans. And the Monte Cristo is also only served at lunch and not dinner at Blue Bayou, or so says the menu.

For dinner they have this vegetarian option:

Portobello Mushroom and Louisiana Popcorn Rice
served with a Roasted Corn, Sun-dried Tomato, and Bell Pepper Macque Choux, Sautéed Spinach, and Balsamic Reduction. Choice of Blue Bayou House Salad or Cup of our signature New Orleans Gumbo

served with a Roasted Corn, Sun-dried Tomato, and Bell Pepper Macque Choux, Sautéed Spinach, and Balsamic Reduction. Choice of Blue Bayou House Salad or Cup of our signature New Orleans Gumbo

LOL! Guess I missed that because I don't care to just eat a large mushroom. It would appeal to my husband and mother though.

LOL! Guess I missed that because I don't care to just eat a large mushroom. It would appeal to my husband and mother though.

Yeah, I am in full agreement with you, and it's $30, so definitely no. It does appear to be the only vegetarian dinner option though.

I also do not find eating a large mushroom appealing. I asked the server if there was any other option and she said the chef could make a pasta with veggies (from what I remember it has peppers, mushrooms, spinach and tomato). They offered a marinara or a chimichurri sauce. I went with chimichurri.....It was really good! They charged me the same price as the mushroom dish.

I've also been told you can get a double portion of the kids mac and cheese (for double the price)...not the most exciting dish, but another option at least.

Same as above. We had a lunch reservation (March 2017), and when we checked in early, we asked for a waterside table. We didn't wait long. However, our table was the very last one by the barrier (on the right as you walk in). It was a bit cramped, and we were near one of the music speakers, which I found somewhat annoying. Overall, it didn't detract much from the experience. One of our favorite places to eat at Disneyland.

Don't be afraid to reject an offered table if you really don't like it. They are sweet and will find you something better in due time.

I had the pleasure of dining there last summer for lunch and ordered the vegetarian (portobello) dish. It was tasty but there was no way I could eat that much mushroom! The side veggies were very good and i was full when i left.

Thought of another one...
They will kindly substitute mashed potatoes for the stacked scalloped potatoes that are the standard side dish with some of the meals.

(I learned that from another Dis Boarder awhile back. Thanks, Other Dis Boarder! :disrocks:

For what it's worth I've had this and it was so delicious! Loved it.

For what it's worth I've had this and it was so delicious! Loved it.

Thanks. I think my mother and husband would love it. The rice sounds good, but I'm not big on mushrooms. But I like the idea of the pasta with mixed veggies. Or I could go the unhealthy route and eat mac & cheese like my kiddos. Or we could save it for another trip. I want to try some table service restaurants throughout our AP year. We've only ever had quick service and character buffets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter