Blue Bayou appetizers and dessert only?

sadiebug

Mouseketeer
Has anyone gone recently and only ordered appetizers and dessert? Or maybe split entrees? We are a party of 5 and would love to go, but honestly it's pricey and the teenage kids aren't thrilled much about the entree selections. Just wondering what your experiences have been.

Has anyone gone recently and only ordered appetizers and dessert? Or maybe split entrees? We are a party of 5 and would love to go, but honestly it's pricey and the teenage kids aren't thrilled much about the entree selections. Just wondering what your experiences have been.

We were there for dinner last July for dinner. We were not doing the Fantasmic dinner package. My son ordered an entree, and my wife and I wanted to order appetizers. We were told we had to order one entree for every appetizer. We could not order “ala carte.”

We are not DLR regulars, so others may have had a different experience.

First time post! I am not sure if this would help, but we have done similar things at Cafe Orleans as we try to save on budget. We'd get an appetizer and an entree (the monte cristo is huge and very shareable). But I also have two young kids, so they don't eat as much. Last time we went was July of 2018. They seem to be pretty flexible and understanding. Good luck!

We were there as a group of 3 adults last October for dinner. We had reservations but were not doing F! dinner package. We were able to order 2 appetizers, one entree, and 3 drinks with no issue (can't remember if we got a dessert or not but I don't think we did). They seemed more concerned about getting us in and out of there to turn over the tables to other guests (still great service, just VERY quick).

Weird that RedM94 had that experience but might be because July is a busy time?

I'd feel a bit guilty taking a table and not ordering entrees (just personal opinion). On our recent trip, my teenagers didn't think the menu looked appealing, so just DH & I had a wonderful lunch at BB while the kids ventured out on their own for a bit. I booked a couple rides for them with maxpass and mobile ordered their lunch at Stage Door, then we met back up afterward. It worked out great.

For Blue Bayou, in general their service is very poor and so are their policies. In my experience, each person will have to order an entree in some shape or form, but you can do a split plate between two people with a split plate charge.

I'd feel a bit guilty taking a table and not ordering entrees (just personal opinion). On our recent trip, my teenagers didn't think the menu looked appealing, so just DH & I had a wonderful lunch at BB while the kids ventured out on their own for a bit. I booked a couple rides for them with maxpass and mobile ordered their lunch at Stage Door, then we met back up afterward. It worked out great.
This is a good suggestion. Personally, we don't care for Blue Bayou (food is mediocre at best) but it is pricey and servers are very good. If you do go and they do allow you to order just appetizers, be courteous to your server and tip according to what it would have cost for the entrees for everyone.

You can do a split plate, I believe it is $12.

Did not feel guilty at all. We were there with ABD, and due to our activities that day, had a late lunch. We just were not that hungry.

For Blue Bayou, in general their service is very poor and so are their policies. In my experience, each person will have to order an entree in some shape or form, but you can do a split plate between two people with a split plate charge.

From our only experience there, our server was visibly irritated that we wanted to order appetizers and then was even more irritated when we split an entree and appetizer.

We are however going to give it another chance next month for the Fantasmic package.

My 15yo DS is kind of picky, so he never orders an adult entre at BB. They always let him order an adult sized version of a kids menu entre instead. One amazing server even rang it up at the child price for the F! dining package once, even though I told him I knew we’d need to pay adult price.

I agree with the suggestion to tip generously, even if ordering something small or if sharing one item. BB servers work hard and don't always get rewarded for their service. They work just as hard when serving dessert only as when they serve a 3 course meal. We always try to let them know that we appreciate how well they treat us.

We went in December and did a 2:30 reservation (after/before the mealtime rush) and had no issues just ordering a couple drinks and dessert. Our kids didn't like the meal offerings, but still wanted the experience.

I agree with the suggestion to tip generously, even if ordering something small or if sharing one item. BB servers work hard and don't always get rewarded for their service. They work just as hard when serving dessert only as when they serve a 3 course meal. We always try to let them know that we appreciate how well they treat us.
I kinda echo this, I agree to plan on a generous tip since you might be taking place of a table that would have ordered a full meal. But bringing just desert is not as hard or as time consuming as inputting and serving a 3 course meal. (I firmly believe in a generous tip though- unless your server is rude about your order like @RedM94 then the server just kissed much of that tip goodbye.)

That sounds like an excellent comprise! And Disneyland can be a fun place for teens in a fam to go out and explore a bit together.

I've ordered just mashed potatoes before myself. But that was because the one entree on the menu I could eat was temporarily removed (and no notice until we got to BB) to make room for the turkey offering.

I almost wonder if we had the same server as mentioned above... It was my first negative encounter with a CM there. Made sure to forcefully state we'd "still have to pay for the side as an ala carte". I was quite taken aback as it did not come off as a joke and the CM was not friendly at all with us. But didn't try to force us to buy an entree for me (we were a group of four adults: my mom, my BFF's uncle, and his BFF who is a CM).

I agree that a generous tip, a polite attitude, and not lingering if one is going in for not a full meal are ideal. Also going for non prime dining times likely helps. I personally see nothing wrong with popping in for a drink and a small bite. There also shouldn't be a charge to share. Only a charge to split.

I kinda echo this, I agree to plan on a generous tip since you might be taking place of a table that would have ordered a full meal. But bringing just desert is not as hard or as time consuming as inputting and serving a 3 course meal...
It isn't more work to bring a dessert instead of more courses, but making the magic for all guests takes effort no matter how much they order. (And it can take much more effort, even with less food, if the guests are difficult.) We've overheard neighboring tables arguing about how little a tip they could get away with leaving -- maybe even no tip because they really didn't order very much! One table argued that if all the other tables left X amount, they could leave zero because the other tables would cover everything. And, of course, that was a table that ran the server ragged with nit-picky requests/demands!

Last edited:
On our last visit the server was annoyed that I wanted 3 appetizers and no mains (I did order dessert too) and actually told us he'd allow it just this once! It's really odd I've never had any server comment on ordering before, I'm not sure what the issue was as otherwise I would have ordered just a main without dessert which would have equaled about the same tip wise. It was really off putting considering our table wasn't cheap - we all ordered drinks and everyone else ordered appetizer/main/dessert. Normally we have had fantastic service at BB.

It isn't more work to bring a dessert instead of more courses, but making the magic for all guests takes effort no matter how much they order. (And it can take much more effort, even with less food, if the guests are difficult.) We've overheard neighboring tables arguing about how little a tip they could get away with leaving -- maybe even no tip because they really didn't order very much! One table argued that if all the other tables left X amount, they could leave zero because the other tables would cover everything. And, of course, that was a table that ran the server ragged with nit-picky requests/demands!

I’ve always believed that if you can’t afford to leave a generous tip for good service, then you really can’t afford to be dining someplace nice. The two pretty much go hand in hand!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter