Blue Bayou Alternative

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
DH and I agreed on doing Blue Bayou next trip. But I must say I am regretting it. The atmosphere is amazing, but I feel food doesn't justify the cost. Easily a $90 meal for LUNCH.
DH said if I come up with something as fun or good as BB he is willing to negotiate. :rotfl2:
So looking for thoughts on yummy food treats or activities I might be able to stack up to equal BB fun without the ridiculous price tag.
He loves beignets so if we could do something fun while enjoying beignets he might go for that.

Cafe Orleans would be a nice compromise. You could sit outside so you can people watch while you eat. They also have the famous Monte Cristo (and the 3 cheese version). People also really like their Pomme Frites (parmesan garlic fries). For dessert they have really cute Mickey beignets that come with dipping sauces.

We much prefer the food at Cafe Orleans to that at Blue Bayou. Cafe Orleans has beignets. They also sometimes have a choice of a flavor beignet or regular. Last summer we had a choice of lemon or regular.

As far as something as good or as fun, how about the World of Color Dessert Party? A plate of dessert and an actual chair for World of Color? For us, that is better than Blue Bayou.

@bethwc101, I agree: BB is a touch overpriced. However, for atmosphere/ambiance, it can't be beat. The only thing I can suggest -- and, admittedly, this is a distant second -- there's Rancho del Zocalo, where you can sit and watch Big Thunder roll by. Personally, I like their vegetarian tacos :-).

We much prefer the food at Cafe Orleans to that at Blue Bayou. Cafe Orleans has beignets. They also sometimes have a choice of a flavor beignet or regular. Last summer we had a choice of lemon or regular.

As far as something as good or as fun, how about the World of Color Dessert Party? A plate of dessert and an actual chair for World of Color? For us, that is better than Blue Bayou.

Unfortunately, DH doesn't care for WOC. :charac2:

@bethwc101, I agree: BB is a touch overpriced. However, for atmosphere/ambiance, it can't be beat. The only thing I can suggest -- and, admittedly, this is a distant second -- there's Rancho del Zocalo, where you can sit and watch Big Thunder roll by. Personally, I like their vegetarian tacos :-).

I've done Rancho del Zocalo and think they're food is really good. Might do this or Cafe Orleans.

For us, we like to do lunch at the Jazz Kitchen in DD. They have the best food on property, including the beignets. And to get there, you take the monorail from DL and it drops you off pretty close. The ambiance is better than Cafe Orleans and the food is waaaayyyyy better. It doesn't feel just like BB, but it's far cheaper....at lunch.

DH and I agreed on doing Blue Bayou next trip. But I must say I am regretting it. The atmosphere is amazing, but I feel food doesn't justify the cost. Easily a $90 meal for LUNCH.
DH said if I come up with something as fun or good as BB he is willing to negotiate. :rotfl2:
So looking for thoughts on yummy food treats or activities I might be able to stack up to equal BB fun without the ridiculous price tag.
He loves beignets so if we could do something fun while enjoying beignets he might go for that.
Go for a dessert treat, not a full meal at BB.

I don't really feel like there is anything with the same atmosphere at BB, but there are other fun things to do. For food, I would also vote for Cafe Orleans. The pomme frites and gumbo are among my favorites and the rail side tables have a great view of New Orleans Square and the Rivers of America (great for people watching - however, it's not a good spot to watch F!). If you're interested in beignets, then Cafe Orleans has them, but I would opt for going to the Mint Julep Bar window (attached to the French Market seating area) because they usually offer a seasonal special flavor (I asked at CO last time and they didn't do the seasonal ones).

I actually like Cafe Orleans better than BB also. The gumbo is sooooo good.

If I had to do something besides BB, it would be C33 or SS55 in a heart beat, price no problem. I find the food excellent.

Jack

I love the atmosphere of BB but that's about it. I think it's way overpriced
If your looking for an activity I would recommend the Walk in Walts Footsteps. It's $109 per person ( more than BB) but you get to go on 2 rides (Alice & railroad), see Walt's Apartment, commemorative pin & lunch.

Not sure if your husband would be into this but I LOVED the Afternoon Tea ($55 per person/ with alcohol $65) at Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel.

If I had to do something besides BB, it would be C33 or SS55 in a heart beat, price no problem. I find the food excellent.

Jack

If I had the ability to do C33 I would have chosen it in a heartbeat. But unfortunately I don't have a membership or know anybody with one.:charac2:

It's a dream and hopefully I will have an opportunity one day. :yay:

I love the atmosphere of BB but that's about it. I think it's way overpriced
If your looking for an activity I would recommend the Walk in Walts Footsteps. It's $109 per person ( more than BB) but you get to go on 2 rides (Alice & railroad), see Walt's Apartment, commemorative pin & lunch.

Not sure if your husband would be into this but I LOVED the Afternoon Tea ($55 per person/ with alcohol $65) at Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel.

I love the thought of maybe doing a tour. Didn't think of doing that. :thanks:

Ralph Brennan's. WAY better than Blue Bayou for that type of food. Sunday brunch has live jazz musicians.

Breakfast at Steakhouse 55 is really special, has great atmosphere and awesome breakfast drinks!

Carnation Cafe is my favorite in park TS. Really special place with great history and awesome food.

If you want to do BB, then split the Monte Cristo. It's so rich that I don't see how anyone could eat a whole one. Add a salad or a cup of gumbo and your meal would be $41, not counting any drinks. If you have an AP, then it's even less.

ETA: there is a difference between splitting and sharing. Splitting comes with an extra charge but they do plate it up for you, each person getting full sides (does it even come with sides anymore?). However, it's something like $16 to do that. Sharing has no extra cost and you just have to split it yourself. They'll bring you an extra plate and with a MC it's about as easy as it could get to share since it's already cut into 4 triangles.

And by the way, that's $41 for both of you.

When are you going?

As others have already mentioned. Cafe Orleans is a much better deal and the food is better. If you want more upscale than cafe Orleans, Carthay Circle and Ralph Brennan's jazz kitchen are both great choices.

Last edited:
My wife and I split at the BB and find it reasonable both in price and quantity of food. Keep to water, split a plate and add a salad/soup and it is a great meal under $50 for the two of you.

If you’ve never done B.B., I’d still do it. Split an entree—whatever. Its ambiance can’t be matched. It’s a restaurant INSIDE of Pirates, for crying out loud!

Nobody ever gets to the end of their life and says “I sure did love that Pirates of the Carribbean ride at Disneyland—but I’m glad I saved $20 by not eating in there!!”

Disney is NOT a great value. There is always a better deal. If you will be coming dozens more times, or you feel like Pirates is just a slightly scarier version of Small World, then by all means skip it. But if you like Pirates (who doesn’t??) and you may not be back for a while, or ever—is saving $20-40 worth it to you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter