• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BLT Review

DVCBELLE

Princess at Heart
Sorry this is so long....We stayed for 2 nights in BLT this weekend and I was so disappointed in the resort.

We checked in at the Contemporary and headed to our room. We stayed in a studio - room 7214. We were happy to be right at the elevator on the 2nd floor and had booked a standard view so I was okay that we could only see the roof of the entrance and the lake off to the side. If we had been one room over we would have been able to see Space Mtn.

We did not stay in the room just put our bags in and headed out for the day - we returned at 11:00 pm. There were no pillows for the pullout so my Dh called housekeeping and were told they were in the closet. They weren't and then they asked how many were on the bed. He answered 4 and they told us we would have to share those b/c they didn't have any extra pillows to send us. :confused:

My daughter has bad allergies and she struggled through the night with coughing and a stuffy nose. We had just returned from a cruise so I figured the return to vegitation had triggered the reaction. I was wrong. The next morning - we saw there was a layer of dust on the tv console that my husband was actually able to write the words "dust me" in it.

I took my shower and was unable to locate the hairdryer. I looked everywhere and called the front desk to see if there was supposed to be one. She said yes and would hang on while I checked again. I did find it tucked away in a hard to find spot and returned to the phone apologetic - she only said to me "Have a nice day" in a tone that told me she didn't really mean and hung up the phone. While that wasn't a huge deal - it just gave itself to the impression we had felt while there that the Contemporary staff is bothered by the addition of BLT and do not view us as the same caliber of their high paying guests at the hotel side.

This coupled with what I consider serious design flaws: The bathroom door. Absolutely NO PRIVACY. Not only does it not lock but it also doesn't seal making everything you were doing in there perfectly clear to the others in the room. My kids also found the shower head to be too hard for them. I was able to soften it by adjusting the knob but it was a very hard to find line between too little flow and too hard. The kitchen across from the vanity is an awful design as well. As I flipped my hair to dry it - I realized I was also in the kitchen space - it also meant I had to go into the room to spray anything in my hair to avoid getting it in the kitchen.

We were exctied about being on the monorail but the one time we rode it to the MK from the Contemporary took 60 minutes from our door to the MK.

We also never saw any staff in the lobby of the BLT and I never once had to use my key to gain access to the building. I didn't feel great about the security of the building.

I guess that maybe they were just overwhelmed coming off of Thansgiving weekend (we checked in on Sunday and out on Tuesday) but we decided this was not the right resort for us. I can't speak about the other rooms as we were in a studio and maybe they have better designs. For a quick weekend or even if there were only two of us - they would be okay but for an entire week the room would have been a bad fit for us.

We decided on the spur of the moment Tuesday to extend our stay until Wed. and stayed at OKW that night - the difference in being in a hotel that is DVC versus one where DVC was an afterthought seemed huge to me.

It bothers me that I was so disappointed in BLT b/c I was so excited for it! I think in time the service issues will work themselves out as the resort adjusts to the new addition and if you are okay with the awkwardness of the room layout this will be a great choice for many DVCers!

Darn, that's too bad. At least for us most of this won't be factor, we use 1BR's (and actually bring pillows) and would never not walk to MK.

Wow. Sorry you had such a bad time. At least it was better for you at OKW.

I am still looking forward to staying at BLT. :goodvibes

We haven't stayed at BLT yet (we have reservations in March), but I went through the model in Chicago and I had the same thought about the bath sink area and the kitchenette area. I didn't like we would be drying our hair right by the food area. I guess I don't remember the bathroom door part, but that doesn't sound good either.

I think we will like the location and we will probably walk to MK instead of taking the monorail (just prefer walking, that is what I like about BC and BW, being able to walk to Epcot and the Studios). But the room design doesn't sound good.

Oh......did they have the iPod docks? We saw those in the model in Chicago and the girls liked that (since they always have their iPods).

DJ

so sad you did not enjoy your visit to BLT.

my opinion the studio at BLT is way to small for more than 2 or 3 at the most.

it just does not have enough room.

next time you take your child - make sure that housekeeping knows that she has allergies - they do a special cleaning.

my allergies are not quite that bad - dust is the worst and now taking allergy shots for it.

BLT is new and the design is different - definitely call and ask housekeeping to clean it again - if this ever happens again. (make sure your child is not around when they are cleaning)

For a quick weekend or even if there were only two of us - they would be okay but for an entire week the room would have been a bad fit for us.
Interesting, on another thread many BLT owners who have yet to stay there stated that it was their favorite resort. Thankfully that's the beauty of Disney, many resorts to choose from. Thanks for your views, I guess we'll see this summer when we stay 2 nights, it will be in a 2br MK view and hopefully it will have a little more room and a better lay out!

I agree with many of you that the one bedrooms are probably better and if I had been in a MK view - I might not have been so bothered by the other things ;)

They do have the I-pod docking stations which was really great! They also had them at OKW as well.

I told my DH today how awful I felt about not loving it and we decided what positive things could I post about BLT - so here they are:
The setting is awesome! It is truly beautiful and really I don't think you would end up with a bad view in either the MK or Lake view rooms - I also think it is possible that I got the room with the absolute worst view! ;) But that is not by any means a complaint - that is what I reserved.
The pool and area around it is very nice and calm.
We loved the i-pod docking station, the tv is beautiful!
Getting to Epcot was very easy - we just took the monorail to TTC and then on over to Epcot.
The artwork in BLT is awesome!!
We were at Disney World!

If we ever decide to go back - we would definately get a one-bedroom. We couldn't walk to MK that day b/c my mom and 76 year old aunt was with us. We had to minimize our walking. We love walking to Epcot and the Studios from BWV so that would be a good option. For now we will stick to BWV or BCV. We do think that if we go for another marathon weekend - it would be a great resort to stay at!

Also - thanks for the advice on the special cleaning - I didn't know that and since the dust was so bad for her it would be great to have the special cleaning. Since it was only for one more night we didn't make a big fuss over it - we were barely in the room at all.

I don't want anyone to take my experience as a reason not to stay there but I think it is always nice to hear not only positives but the negatives as well. We were so excited for the stay that I think it made it an even bigger disappointment!

Oh - I forgot my biggest complaint - no one said Welcome Home at BLT - I had to wait to hear that at OKw ;)

DVCBELLE said:
I took my shower and was unable to locate the hairdryer. I looked everywhere and called the front desk to see if there was supposed to be one. She said yes and would hang on while I checked again. I did find it tucked away in a hard to find spot and returned to the phone apologetic - she only said to me "Have a nice day" in a tone that told me she didn't really mean and hung up the phone. While that wasn't a huge deal - it just gave itself to the impression we had felt while there that the Contemporary staff is bothered by the addition of BLT and do not view us as the same caliber of their high paying guests at the hotel side.

Technically when you call the front desk your not really calling the Contemporary, your calling a call center and it's like that at all the WDW Resorts. So I don't think it's fair to say the Contemporay Cast Members are bothered by the addition of Bay Lake Tower, because you actually didn't speak to one of their Cast Members.

Technically when you call the front desk your not really calling the Contemporary, your calling a call center and it's like that at all the WDW Resorts. So I don't think it's fair to say the Contemporay Cast Members are bothered by the addition of Bay Lake Tower, because you actually didn't speak to one of their Cast Members.
I did not know that and will not put that on the CR staff but I did say it just added to the feeling we had about that resort so I still stand by my assertion that the CR cast members treated us like second class citizens.

This is just one of the reasons that sales have slowed down after the resort opened. The before sales hype fell flat when members started reporting about their stays.

:) Bill

Also - thanks for the advice on the special cleaning - I didn't know that and since the dust was so bad for her it would be great to have the special cleaning. Since it was only for one more night we didn't make a big fuss over it - we were barely in the room at all.

one of the things learned here - on the Disabilities boards - it has some great information.

my big problems are food allergies and WDW really tries to work with you on those.

so sorry no one say 'Welcome Home' - the security guard say it to me, the fd say it, and when got to BLT - the CM at the desk say it.

so sorry no one say it to you.

my problem with the CR staff was dening a problem. the water in the tub was not hot, in the sinks not a problem - but the tub was a problem. tried it about 4 times before I called them.

well a few hours later got a call saying there was nothing wrong.:confused::confused:

now might not be the smartest person but there was definitely a problem. Since it was fixed (despite the guy saying it was not a problem) - did not complaint further. but definitely understand you complaints.

hoping this is not what DVC member will have to put up with in the future for any problems. but only time will tell.

one time at AKV - as soon as I walked in the room started coughing. in the hall fine in the room - big problems.

so called maintence - they came up - guess what when they changed the villa from AKL to AKV - no one changed the air conditioner filters.

so to put it mildly it was in bad shape. the next morning they were changing all the air conditioner filters.

so things do fall though the cracks - but mostly DVC kepts up with things like that.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.

I'm headed back for our second stay at BLT on Saturday, and I'm excited.

We really enjoyed our first stay!

:cool1:

As much as I loved our first stay at BLT studio lake view I did have issues with the housekeeping of the studio.

We also had enough dust on both the table and console to write our names. Also, when I pulled out the sofa bed the sheets and the mattress cover were not changed from the previous guests and they were quite dirty. I just called housekeeping and they were kind enough to bring us pillows (there were none for the pull out) a mattress cover and sheets at 12:30 am which was about the time we returned from a late night at the parks. They were apologetic and the rest of the stay was great....:)

As much as I loved our first stay at BLT studio lake view I did have issues with the housekeeping of the studio.

We also had enough dust on both the table and console to write our names. Also, when I pulled out the sofa bed the sheets and the mattress cover were not changed from the previous guests and they were quite dirty. I just called housekeeping and they were kind enough to bring us pillows (there were none for the pull out) a mattress cover and sheets at 12:30 am which was about the time we returned from a late night at the parks. They were apologetic and the rest of the stay was great....:)

If that's the case, mousekeeping should just draw hidden mickeys in the dust as a magical extension to the towl creatures.. ;)

For both you and the OP - Perhaps you did know and looked but are these the new sleepers where the pillows are tucked up under the pull out? Don't know how to really describe it but if you don't know they are there they can be difficult to find and I was wondering if they truly were missing or just not seen.

Last year my cousin thought the pillows were missing at BCV but once I got down on hands and knees I found them. I think they've had trouble in the newly renovated rooms at BWV b/c they had signs resting on the couch describing how to operate.

Have a great trip Mike. I am curious. I see hundreds of pictures of the connecting bridge from BLT to CR, but how is the walk from ground level from one resort to the other. Also how easy is it to go from BLT to the CR marina, can you walk over at ground level or do you have to take the bridge to CR and then go out back to the marina. Thanks

We move from BWV to Jambo Concierge tomorrow. BLT on 12/12. Are you still going to be there?

:) Bill

Have a great trip Mike. I am curious. I see hundreds of pictures of the connecting bridge from BLT to CR, but how is the walk from ground level from one resort to the other. Also how easy is it to go from BLT to the CR marina, can you walk over at ground level or do you have to take the bridge to CR and then go out back to the marina. Thanks

You can walk directly from BLT to the Marina on the ground level. We did it from the pool area but there may be other routes as well.

For both you and the OP - Perhaps you did know and looked but are these the new sleepers where the pillows are tucked up under the pull out? Don't know how to really describe it but if you don't know they are there they can be difficult to find and I was wondering if they truly were missing or just not seen.

Last year my cousin thought the pillows were missing at BCV but once I got down on hands and knees I found them. I think they've had trouble in the newly renovated rooms at BWV b/c they had signs resting on the couch describing how to operate.
They are not those kind of couches - we have used those at BWV or BCV and I told my husband to look there. We definately looked all through the couch and even asked when we called and they said they should be in the closet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter