BLT Fire Alarm in the Wee Hours of 5/1 and Member Services

Song of the South

Mouseketeer
Hey! Around 4am on the morning of 5/1/2021 the 2nd floor (any others???) fire alarm went off. We put on shoes and followed the exit signs and exited by stairs into the middle of the C. We were one of the first families out but there were already a few families there when we arrived. Over the next 10 minutes or so there was a continuous stream of people exiting into the area. We stood patiently waiting for a CM or rumor of a CM (many people were discussing that there was no CM giving directions/information) to let us know what was happening. No one ever came. Around 15-20 minutes in and the alarm just stopped. No CM gave an "all clear" but people started returning to the building. Eventually we felt stupid standing outside in our pajamas waiting to be told that it was safe to return so we went back in.

I expected that in the morning we would receive a message via paper or phone thanking us for complying with the fire alarm and that it was an annual drill, a signal the system put forth while maintenance did something, a false alarm, a real alarm but no damage or injury, or just anything. Nothing came and so I sent an email to DVC with my concern that had it been an actual emergency there was no direction by any CM.

Someone from DVC returned my call and we played phone tag for over a week. Just now we finally connected and after I restated what had happened and my concern with the lack of CM presence, she replied that she use to work in the building, and that, in the event of a fire alarm, we were to exit the building via the stairs and make our way to the parking lot. That the parking lot was the safest place to be. I interrupted her and said I hadn't emailed to get feedback on my family's evacuation 2 weeks ago but my concern that there was not a CM present to tell us we needed to go to the parking lot or to give the all clear when people went back into the building.

She said she would let "management" know and they would look at their procedures. I asked if anyone would be reaching out about what had happened. She said no. She asked how she could be of further assistance. I said I wanted to be contacted because as an owner it was important to me that there be enough CMs present, that, in the event of a real emergency, a CM is able to direct guests. She said no there would not be further contact about the issue.

I am *really* dismayed. This isn't the Red Roof Inn where there is only 1 person at the desk overnight. This isn't the Red Roof Inn because they let their customers know what has happened. For whatever reason this feels like a really big deal to me--would it be to you? If you were there that night, did you get a response about the situation? Am I wrong as a building owner to be concerned with the safety/security of people in the buildling? Am I wrong that this would have been handled differently a few years ago? My feeling is that this is the kind of thing I would sell over (bought in 2010). Is that ridiculous? This all feels really gross.

Hey! Around 4am on the morning of 5/1/2021 the 2nd floor (any others???) fire alarm went off. We put on shoes and followed the exit signs and exited by stairs into the middle of the C. We were one of the first families out but there were already a few families there when we arrived. Over the next 10 minutes or so there was a continuous stream of people exiting into the area. We stood patiently waiting for a CM or rumor of a CM (many people were discussing that there was no CM giving directions/information) to let us know what was happening. No one ever came. Around 15-20 minutes in and the alarm just stopped. No CM gave an "all clear" but people started returning to the building. Eventually we felt stupid standing outside in our pajamas waiting to be told that it was safe to return so we went back in.

I expected that in the morning we would receive a message via paper or phone thanking us for complying with the fire alarm and that it was an annual drill, a signal the system put forth while maintenance did something, a false alarm, a real alarm but no damage or injury, or just anything. Nothing came and so I sent an email to DVC with my concern that had it been an actual emergency there was no direction by any CM.

Someone from DVC returned my call and we played phone tag for over a week. Just now we finally connected and after I restated what had happened and my concern with the lack of CM presence, she replied that she use to work in the building, and that, in the event of a fire alarm, we were to exit the building via the stairs and make our way to the parking lot. That the parking lot was the safest place to be. I interrupted her and said I hadn't emailed to get feedback on my family's evacuation 2 weeks ago but my concern that there was not a CM present to tell us we needed to go to the parking lot or to give the all clear when people went back into the building.

She said she would let "management" know and they would look at their procedures. I asked if anyone would be reaching out about what had happened. She said no. She asked how she could be of further assistance. I said I wanted to be contacted because as an owner it was important to me that there be enough CMs present, that, in the event of a real emergency, a CM is able to direct guests. She said no there would not be further contact about the issue.

I am *really* dismayed. This isn't the Red Roof Inn where there is only 1 person at the desk overnight. This isn't the Red Roof Inn because they let their customers know what has happened. For whatever reason this feels like a really big deal to me--would it be to you? If you were there that night, did you get a response about the situation? Am I wrong as a building owner to be concerned with the safety/security of people in the buildling? Am I wrong that this would have been handled differently a few years ago? My feeling is that this is the kind of thing I would sell over (bought in 2010). Is that ridiculous? This all feels really gross.

It’s bad leadership. There should of been someone there if it was a real emergency or not.

I thought I saw (through the lobby) flashing red lights. My Dad and my son didn't see them. So I don't know if the fire department came or not.

Through the window there didn't appear to be anyone in the lobby but that doesn't mean there wasn't.

We saw 0 CM. Thanks for your agreement that there should have been someone there and that it is reasonable to expect that.

This happened to me at the Grand Californian early morn.
I remember being awakened by those laser lights inside the room and the loud alarm in the hallway. I went to open the door and saw a castmember walking rapidly down hallway Figurred I better put shoes on and evacuate but it was confusing because I was half asleep and the way I entered the night before , was no longer an exit route. Those heavy duty doors in hallway were automatically closed to keep fire contained .During the day you don’t really notice these doors . But it led to confusion on how to exit . I think it was as if the doors were slammed shut with no handles or that is my recall...
Eventually many guests wandered out of the building and stood around waiting for official instructions... Nothing. Next morning no letter no castmember inquiring if we had need of assistance.
I just remeber having a terrible headache all day , ruining my last day at DL with family and being upset. When I returned I called and was given a mediocre refund from the bookkeeping office.
It is very clear in my memory and now I always look for those Fire doors. And the official instructions in case of fire.
I am surprised this has occurred again.
It still bothers me and has a strong memory for me.
I think it would have helped if they validated the Emergency to guests and one sort of an apology. In stead of acting like nothing happened and it was just a bad dream.
To be positive, this was a good “drill” for me . I normally remain calm in emergency situations but this example has taught me that in an emergency the way in, might not be the way out. And I always know where the Emergency Fire Exit is at the end of the hallway.
And we all know Disney has long hallways.
P.S. To be precise, there is very strict procedures to be aware of
For your safety.

Last edited:
BLT does not staff the lobby all night long so I believe it would be a CM coming over from the CR once they figured out it was even happening. I guess that makes it less than a Red Roof Inn that does actually have a lobby attendant?

I've been in hotels with middle of the night fire alarms too frequently and it sounds pretty typical.

FWIW, when they are going to have tests they will call and provide written notice. Of course things happen including kids pulling alarms etc. but you will have been made aware if there's going to be a test and no hotel will ever do one at 5am. Expecting thanks for evacuating in an alarm? It wouldn't even occur to me but I'd hope someone would say you can return. They usually don't though (non-Disney).

Am I wrong that this would have been handled differently a few years ago? My feeling is that this is the kind of thing I would sell over (bought in 2010). Is that ridiculous? This all feels really gross.

You are overreacting and your sense of entitlement is rich. Sorry. You asked for feedback.

Disney has a job to keep you safe. They did that. They are not "required" to give you a reason why those chose to keep you safe. Yes, I agree they could have. But at 4am, they are not fully staffed as you think.

Part of living in a society is we follow rules. Like evacuating during a fire alarm. Just part of life. Do you call the fire station every time you have to pull over for a fire truck?

Not having a CM there very soon after the alarm went off is understandable.
Not having any visible CM, security or safety presence for the duration of a 15-20 minute alarm and after it stopped is inexcusable. It is completely reasonable to expect some official announcement of when you are cleared to return to your room, and for that to happen within a few minutes of the alarm turning off. This would, of course, be especially true if for some reason you should not have returned once the alarm stopped.

Precisely because the overnight staff for BLT sits in the Contemporary, you would have seen if anyone came to check. It appears nobody did. At most, maybe someone in a fire/security center elsewhere looked at some indicators and turned the alarm off, but whether it was triggered manually, or by a smoke or gas leak detector, best practices would be to check on site. You are right to be aggrieved.

Had someone appeared that night, given the bare minimum of instructions, eg giving permission to return but no other info such as was it a minor smoke situation, false alarm, etc., then a later follow up by management would be good but not absolutely required. But the complete absence of any communication both that night and afterwards is inexcusable.

Last edited:
We had this exact thing happen and Grand Floridian and Boardwalk (we were cash guests not DVC). No CMs around either, but I didn't think anything of it--it was 3am, I'm not expecting them to have a lot of staff onsite! Same has happened to me at other hotels. I always had been taught that you use the alarm as a reference for what you should do: while the alarm is still going, remain outside. When the alarm goes off, you can safely return.

What if it is a carbon monoxide alarm??? The staff should have notified all occupants that it was clear to re-enter the building.

Had that happen 3 times in one night at the Excalibur in Vegas. However, before we could leave the room, a public address system in the room came on telling us it was safe to remain in the room.

Also had it happen when I was in high school, at a DeMolay conclave held at UC Riverside. We were house in the dorms since the university was out for summer session. Everyone just waited outside until the alarm stopped.

I agree with the OP, though, some sort of info/all clear from a cast member would have been nice, and should have happened.

Last edited:
Happened to us at BLT a few years ago. Alarm went off around 2:30 am. We were on the 7 th floor. Had to walk down stairs in PJs and we were in our 70's. Thank goodness we were not on the 15 th fl. We decided not to stay at BLT again.

Had that happen 3 times in one night at the Excalibur in Vegas. However, before we could leave the room, a public address system in the room came on telling us it was safe to remain in the room.

Also had it happen when I was in high school, at a DeMolay conclave held at UC Riverside. We were house in the dorms since the university was out for summer session. Everyone just waited outside until the alarm stopped.

I agree with the OP, though, some sort of info from a cast member would have been nice, and should have happened.
We had that happen at the Excalibur, too! Two nights in a row.

You are overreacting and your sense of entitlement is rich. Sorry. You asked for feedback.

Disney has a job to keep you safe. They did that. They are not "required" to give you a reason why those chose to keep you safe. Yes, I agree they could have. But at 4am, they are not fully staffed as you think.

Part of living in a society is we follow rules. Like evacuating during a fire alarm. Just part of life. Do you call the fire station every time you have to pull over for a fire truck?

I just don't even know how to respond to this.

I am the most independent and conservative person I know. Borderline libertarian. That is not to make a political statement, but to make a much greater point. DVC gets paid millions every year to manage (COMPLETELY) BLT and all DVC properties 24x7x365.

It is not my job, as a guest, to determine the safety to re-enter a facility after a fire alarm in a high rise building. That most certainly is Disney's responsibility. It's probably their PRIMARY responsibility. To dismiss that responsibility with, essentially; "Be a grownup and act like it." is insulting, and out of choice, I'm going to let it go at that, because if you don't get it, there is likely nothing I could add here that would change your mind. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for someone to respond to the ridiculousness of this post.

I just don't even know how to respond to this.

I am the most independent and conservative person I know. Borderline libertarian. That is not to make a political statement, but to make a much greater point. DVC gets paid millions every year to manage (COMPLETELY) BLT and all DVC properties 24x7x365.

It is not my job, as a guest, to determine the safety to re-enter a facility after a fire alarm in a high rise building. That most certainly is Disney's responsibility. It's probably their PRIMARY responsibility. To dismiss that responsibility with, essentially; "Be a grownup and act like it." is insulting, and out of choice, I'm going to let it go at that, because if you don't get it, there is likely nothing I could add here that would change your mind. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for someone to respond to the ridiculousness of this post.

There were a lot of threads of reaction in the OP's post. The post you quote was responding to the OP expecting to be told all about the situation the next day - a phone call, a letter from management, something like a full report and that they should be thanked for evacuating. That is beyond what I also would consider necessary and I do not consider that a DVC/Disney fail. Should they have been told they could go back in? Of course. Explanations and thanks? No, not something I'd think should be expected.

It seems apparent nobody knows how to respond or what to expect.
If you return to the hotel room without an official Confirmation of Safety... how are you supposed to just fall asleep again without laying there and wondering if you and your family are safe?
And the belief that nobody needs to be in the BayLake Tower during the middle of the night in case of an emergency is truly alarming. I know Disney has very specific legal guidelines that they are required to follow. I think this should include the confirmation from the Fire Inspector that guests are safe to re enter the building.
Otherwise it gives the false interpretation that Fire Alatms do not need to be obeyed.
I don’t expect any business to personally thank me for being smart and obeying the law, but I do expect them to acknowledge that they are aware of the inconvenience And that they care about guest safety.

There were a lot of threads of reaction in the OP's post. The post you quote was responding to the OP expecting to be told all about the situation the next day - a phone call, a letter from management, something like a full report and that they should be thanked for evacuating. That is beyond what I also would consider necessary and I do not consider that a DVC/Disney fail. Should they have been told they could go back in? Of course. Explanations and thanks? No, not something I'd think should be expected.

Even if his response was directed to that specific portion, and that is certainly left to the reader to decide, someone is owed an explanation. I think all of us deserve an explanation. Saying that it is somehow an "entitled mentality" to demand an explanation is ridiculous. We most certainly are entitled to an explanation. We pay for it, as we do for the 24x7 management of our resort. Now that may not be popular with some people, but it remains a fact. Someone was monitoring those alarms. Somebody turned them off, and knew why they turned them off. I am a firm believer that the residents of that resort that night most certainly were entitled an explanation, and the fact that they never got one, especially that night when the alarms were turned off, is absolutely and totally unacceptable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter