BLT and Contemporary - just me?

nd43

Disney Fan
Ok, I realize this can be a sensitive topic. I completely understand how wonderful the location is for BLT and the Contemporary. It is awesome. No question.

However, as my family walked through the Contemporary, my daughter turns to me and says:

"I feel like I am in an airport"

then, we walk to BLT and we both say

"Now we feel like we are walking around a hospital"

This is some pretty cold architecture. All the cement, etc.

The lower level (where the Wave was) really appeared updated and had a "cool" Contemporary vibe. The rest, not so much. I really think the Contemporary needs a major overhaul.

It honestly made me question ever staying at the sandwich (more based on the Contemporary then the tower itself).

Again, BLT was much better. However, you still use the main resort a lot I assume.

Are they planning to continue the clear updates they did on the bottom floor for more of the resort?

My family agrees with you. After buying BLT and staying there several times, we decided that the theming just isn't for us.

The great thing about the Disney resorts is that there is so many different themes, there is something for everyone.

:earsboy: Bill

My DD(18) also does not like the style of BLT. This really surprised me as she is really easy going and doesn't complain about much.:confused3

I actually really love BLT and the theme and style. I like most of the DVC resorts, but enjoy the super clean lines of BLT. Some of my feelings are based upon the fact that this has always been the flagship location since I was a kid visiting WDW and we always wanted to stay in the tower.

I like the BLT/Contemporary design. But let's be honest - the real reason that you stay there is location location location.

I like the BLT/Contemporary design. But let's be honest - the real reason that you stay there is location location location.

Agree! Agree! Agree!

Last June on our stay, there was a severe thunder & lighting storm. Boats shut down. Resort Monorail shut down (My husband and son were boarded on a train and then made to get off of it.) I just strolled back to our room. (Beating my husband and son by over 45 minutes.):rotfl:

definitely - but also like the design - while I don't like the CR.

too bad more DVC members don't agree with you. tried this morning to get a reservation - standard view (don't like highs) - and they were all gone at 8am - since can't get to a computer until 10 am on the weekends - guess will have to try on Monday.

that say VWL was available - so staying there.

I agree, location is more important to me than theme.

I agree. However, I think this makes Disney lazy about making big changes to the Contemporary. If you put the current Contemporary design where Animal Kingdom Lodge is located, Disney would have torn the thing down a long time ago and redesigned the entire hotel to fill it again. As it sits, location drives occupancy and they probably do not feel the need to change it.

Location is covering up for a rather poor concept and execution IMO. It is such a great location they should invest in making it a great resort. They can keep the modern theme but just update it to feel "modern" once again. I am sure narrow escalators felt modern in 1971... not so much now.

BTW, it also has some of the best views at WDW. A better design would highlight these even more.

In the end, you really cannot have a "contemporary" design you leave mostly untouched for 40+ years and still consider it a current modern design.

I am sure narrow escalators felt modern in 1971... not so much now.

so disagree - love the elevators at the BLT - especially after the elevators at BWV, SSR, VWL, akv.

BWV and VWL are near the lobby - and those are the only elevators in the entire building.

blt has both north and south elevators - depending upon your room location in an area much smaller than BWV, VWL.

or OKW that has no elevators except in 3 building.

but just realized it was escaltors not elevators - sorry.

I also like the narrow escalators because the wider ones don't feel security in - need to hold onto both sides. besides the escalators are in the CR and have nothing to do with BLT at all.

if you though that is should be an open elevator to enjoy the views - sorry - then getting back to your room or even to the deck would be impossible - if the elevators had a view of the MK. besides been in an open elevator and it did not look outside.

I agree. However, I think this makes Disney lazy about making big changes to the Contemporary. If you put the current Contemporary design where Animal Kingdom Lodge is located, Disney would have torn the thing down a long time ago and redesigned the entire hotel to fill it again. As it sits, location drives occupancy and they probably do not feel the need to change it.

Location is covering up for a rather poor concept and execution IMO. It is such a great location they should invest in making it a great resort. They can keep the modern theme but just update it to feel "modern" once again. I am sure narrow escalators felt modern in 1971... not so much now.

BTW, it also has some of the best views at WDW. A better design would highlight these even more.

In the end, you really cannot have a "contemporary" design you leave mostly untouched for 40+ years and still consider it a current modern design.

So I'm guessing you missed the update they did to the rooms in the 90's in order to make them more appealing. :scared1:

Contemporary is difficult and it's proven so for the CR. At this point I'm very happy with them sticking a bit with the Contemporary vision of when it was built. Otherwise the vision of Tron seems to be the visionary design I feel you are alluding to and I would not want that everywhere. That would ruin the place IMO. And I also like the narrow escalators - for multiple reasons.

The Contemporary in its current iteration is one of its best for me and I'd be bitterly disappointed with Disney if they tore it down and rebuilt a modern thing like you can find everywhere else in new hotels.

It's the exterior entrance of BLT that feels very generic to us. There's too much concrete adjacent to a parking lot. That makes it different from the other resorts. Same with the lobby of CR-plain. But I guess that is what they were going for...modern..simple lines etc. (I do like the interior of the villas.)

When I go the WDW, I want something very different from home.

Thankfully, there are a variety of resorts to choose from, so we should all be able to find something to our liking.

We bought BLT for the location and it being the only monorail resort at the time. After staying there, I think the CR theme perfectly matches what it was designed to be. The monorail runs through the resort, so it is essentially a modern day monorail resort. Theming wise, the monorail is out of place at Poly and VGF.
I certainly understand that some people will not like it. That is what is great about WDW DVC, lots of different themes to meet many different preferences.

Contemporary Resort is a bit like Epcot to us, we love it because it shows futuristic ideas of the past and that makes them important to hang on to.

We own at BLT and I like the simple lines and lack of theming. I stayed in AK recently and couldn't cope with the dark decor and OTT theming everywhere.

That is the beauty fo DVC, there is something for everyone and it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

We like BLT and its location..but, to be honest, I've never been one to get into the theming and I am pretty happy with most places. I have stayed at all but SSR and OKW and each time, while there, I enjoy the surroundings...now, I do like the Poly the best of the three monorail resorts so ican see DH and I staying there when they open when we don't care about going to the parks...

As they say in the movies...."they had me when the monorail went thru the Contemporary"

crhmcginnis.jpg

Love CR and BLT! I didn't appreciate CR until we stayed at BLT. It's not stunning from the outside but my kids love eating and watching the monorail go by. We missed it when we moved over to AKL Jambo (loved it too).

LOVE it. Something mesmerizing about the monorail going through. We'd stay there every time if we could.

The GF does NOTHING for us theme-wise.

I agree that it would be nice if they updated the 4 floor (where Chef Mickey's, Contempo Cafe and the the shops are located) to match the first floor. But even with that BLT is still my favorite. I rarely go to the main lobby of CR as we have our own car.

It just goes to show that DVC is a great product because it provides a variety of resorts to cover the varied tastes of the members. It's not necessary to stay somewhere if you don't like it.

I enjoyed our 2 night stay at BTL a few years back. It was fun to hang out on the balcony and watch the world going on, at all times of day and night. And there's just something about that monorail...

That said, I need to be in a more natural sort of environment. The decor of the rooms was wrong for my personality, although I did love the comforter :)

I will stay at BTL again some day, it was fun. VGF first though...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter