Blood Pressure Medication and Rides

Always ask your Doctor if it is ok. I have been taking Lisinopril for years now and frankly never thought about it when at the parks. I figured the my BP was controlled with the meds, so not a problem. I never had any but I did finally ask my Doctor if she thought is was alright. She said that since my pressure was so well controlled, I shouldn't have to worry about it at all. If on the other hand my BP fluctuated constantly, then caution was advised. Also it is more important if other related problems exist, irregular heart beat and so on. HBP alone is not necessarily a problem. Anyone, like the unfortunate fellow a couple of weeks ago, that has multiple health risk problems is at a higher risk. That fact of the matter is he might have had that problem without ever going on the ride. Just walking past it or any other thing is all that might have been needed. Just a walking time bomb. I guess we all are when we think about it.

I've been on b/p meds for over 20 yrs now....I've never had an issue with rides, anywhere!! But, my b/p is controlled. Disney, and other theme parks, put these warnings up in order to make people aware and to cover themselves if something should happen. It is always best to check with your doctor...every case is different. And that was the issue with the man who passed away after riding ST...un-diagnosed medical issues combined with weight issues. If you don't go to the doctor, you won't know if you have any issues!! Don't make assumptions.

I am glad that I found this and I’m sure I have asked my doc already. But to know my blood pressure was high due to extreme stress and being over weighted. Since I’ve lost over 50 pounds and stopped stressing my blood pressure has been normal for over a year now almost 2 years. Funny part is was only high at my previous doc office or I think I was stressing over my medical renewal that was coming up for my job. It wasn’t high but I asked the doc that was my previous doc that it was a little high by 2 number and from there it just went up after my she misdiagnosed me as type two diabetic and had me on medication as well. My doc after her was confused and I think the stress made me unhealthy especially due to me having bronchitis that the previous doc did not care to see me about when I was sick anyways when to urgent care and she said good thing I came i was on the edge of having ammonia which raised my blooded pressure high had to get two shots an inhaler etc but that’s all whole other story but has a lot to do to why my blood pressure shot up cause it left me stressing due to my physical for my job being right around the corner and even when taking blood pressure meds it was still high but only when I seen this one male nurse but after I passed my physical my blood pressure dropped instantly and I never had a problem with it every since and that was almost two years ago but just knowing it was high and it runs in my family has me shaky about roller coasters. I’m 26 use to love getting on my rides but now my anxiety toward rides has be extremely bad since the high blood pressure situation. My anxiety is so bad that I freak out as soon as I get close to the ride but I been to the doc 4 times this year due to scalp problems and just checking my diabetes and blood pressure because I have a new doc and she wants to monitor my numbers and my weight but it has dropped so much sometimes it’s down to 18/70 other 20/76 but I’m still nervous when it comes to rides. I’m not on medication haven’t been on it over a year a 6 months almost a year of it being regular but this helped me relax some. I’m going to the dayDisney Halloween party this Tuesday and is only on the Disney California side which is all big rides and im freaking out the closer it get 🥴🥴

That was all physically difficult to read, but I did notice numbers at the end. You really, really, really want to recheck those numbers with your doctor. You also want to check with your doctor regarding what you should and should not ride.

18/70 almost has to be wrong. The first number is the high pressure number, should be around 100 give or take a bit. The second number is the low pressure number, which could indeed be 70. If you left out a 0 on the first number, and it is 180 / 70, that would still be quite high, and would very likely warrant being on medication to keep it under control.

I agree the numbers aren’t written correctly. But I understood the PP as saying her BP was high but is now back in normal range. So I interpreted the numbers she posted as missing a leading “1” on the systolic (top) = 118/70. Only PP knows, but I think the point of her post is anxiety. She has anxiety and worries (maybe needlessly) about her BP due to family history and a possible misdiagnosis (diabetes and/or hypertension, I didn’t fully understand) from another doctor.

@Deemitch it sounds like you have a newer medical provider and possibly a better office environment. If you are concerned about rides, I recommend a phone call to the doctor’s office to check if they suggest restrictions. If no restrictions, relax and have a great time at the party!

My GP has given me the thumbs up for BP since it has been under control with medication. My neurosurgeon says I have no restrictions for coasters after spinal fusion. My Orthopedic surgeon says I can walk all over WDW as tolerated for my left ankle. I am 62 and here now having a blast. Please get the doctor’s okay.

For those of you who are on blood pressure medication, how do you get around that if you want to ride some of the big coasters / motion rides? Do you space them out, say, one in the morning, mid afternoon, one at night? Or do you not do any of them?

Both of my parents are on medication, but it is controlled. I know they will be hesitant since most of those rides say NOT to ride if you have x,y,z issues.
[/Q

I agree with Robo. The best advice is to have them check with their doctor. Every one is different on how they respond to blood pressure medications. My husband is on 4 different BP meds and has had hypertension for his whole life. He is now controlled on these and has no side effects or problems. He rides on all the rides, even Rip Rocket Coaster in Universal! He has had no problem, BUT your parents might not be able to ride anything strenuous and they might have a big problem with coasters. So, I would definitely have them check with their MD. If they do not know much about the coasters/motion rides, then maybe you should go to the doctor with them to explain what is involved with each one. Good luck!
PS: I don't like coasters and don't ride the big, scarey ones (like RRR), but my husband loves them.

My GP has given me the thumbs up for BP since it has been under control with medication. My neurosurgeon says I have no restrictions for coasters after spinal fusion. My Orthopedic surgeon says I can walk all over WDW as tolerated for my left ankle. I am 62 and here now having a blast. Please get the doctor’s okay.

Hopefully they got their doctor’s okay when they went - THREE YEARS AGO!

I agree the numbers aren’t written correctly. But I understood the PP as saying her BP was high but is now back in normal range. So I interpreted the numbers she posted as missing a leading “1” on the systolic (top) = 118/70. Only PP knows, but I think the point of her post is anxiety. She has anxiety and worries (maybe needlessly) about her BP due to family history and a possible misdiagnosis (diabetes and/or hypertension, I didn’t fully understand) from another doctor.

@Deemitch it sounds like you have a newer medical provider and possibly a better office environment. If you are concerned about rides, I recommend a phone call to the doctor’s office to check if they suggest restrictions. If no restrictions, relax and have a great time at the party!
I also understood it was probably missing the first number 1, which would be within normal limits, but her doctor still wanted to monitor.

Hopefully they got their doctor’s okay when they went - THREE YEARS AGO!
it’s true the original thread was from 3 years ago, but someone found it and was adding their own info. So, it did become a new question.

another thing to add - all of the attractions with warnings are clearly marked with a caution icon and wording in at least 3 places; on the park maps, on a sign at the attraction entrance and just before boarding.

I honestly think each and every person presents with a different case, so you should probably ask your doctor. I've been on BP meds for almost 30 years and never had a problem until 2 years ago. At the ripe old age of 57 I started having issues with some of the coasters and rides like Star Tours. It really seems like more of an inner ear thing, but it has definitely changed my park strategies. Quite simply, I feel like I have a good ride, been lucky to have enjoyed it for as long as I have, and will continue to return to WDW. Rides like Big Thunder and 7 Dwarfs don't bother me, but like a previous poster said, the backwards motion of EE did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter