Blood Pressure Medication and Rides

ilovetotravel1977

DIS Veteran
For those of you who are on blood pressure medication, how do you get around that if you want to ride some of the big coasters / motion rides? Do you space them out, say, one in the morning, mid afternoon, one at night? Or do you not do any of them?

Both of my parents are on medication, but it is controlled. I know they will be hesitant since most of those rides say NOT to ride if you have x,y,z issues.

Medical questions are best answered by a person's own physician.
Any other opinions would be quite dangerous to follow.

That said, if their hypertension is medically under control, many guests ride many of the coasters and more "strenuous" attractions.

But, do not take the word of someone who has not examined the person(s) in question.

I'm sure they would go and see their doctor prior to travel anyways, but I was just curious. And if they started to feel ill, they would obviously not continue to ride the rides. Thanks for the replies.

Talk to the dr. there was just a man who passed away after riding star tours. Health related issues are not to be messed with. this is from the orlando sentinel - The cause of death was listed as hypertensive cardiovascular disease with other significant conditions contributing to death. My wife is on bp meds luckily she doesn't do the thrill type rides, so I don't have to worry about that.

You should talk to your own doctor, but my doctor has told me since my blood pressure is well controlled, there is no problem with me on thrill rides. I ride roller coasters at Cedar Point all day long.

Be sure that your parents ask their doctor about their conditions and medications with rides. Each person is different.

I'm on blood pressure medication and I never had problem riding anything in WDW or Magic Mountain which has FAST rollercoasters. I'm 54 if age matters.

Talk to the dr. there was just a man who passed away after riding star tours. Health related issues are not to be messed with. this is from the orlando sentinel - The cause of death was listed as hypertensive cardiovascular disease with other significant conditions contributing to death. My wife is on bp meds luckily she doesn't do the thrill type rides, so I don't have to worry about that.

Yes, I read about this. It said it was due to obesity. (?)

I'm 41 and take a low dose of blood pressure meds. My doctor said I was fine for rides with warnings as long as I was keeping HBP under control with my medications and didn't feel dizzy prior to getting on a ride. I'm currently working on my weight through a diabetic-leaning diet and walking 6-8 miles a day, 45 lbs lost and more to go. Even at my highest weight, I never felt ill from a ride at WDW but my heart is healthy. I suspect the man on Star Tours was affected more by his heart condition and perhaps obesity-linked inactivity than high blood pressure.

I think it's best to consult their doctors, evaluate their overall health and let them decide how they feel about it.

Robo gives absolutely sound advice. No one but their own physician can adequately advise them. I am on two blood pressure medications, and up until this past summer, I have ridden everything that I wanted to, including Expedition Everest. This past summer I was diagnosed with an Aortic Anuerism, which requires some additional precautions. I was still comfortable riding 7Dwarfs, and Test Track, and suffered no ill effects from either. I would say as long as their blood pressure is well controlled by the medications, and there are no other health risks involved, they can probably ride what they want to, but their doctor needs to help them make that decision!

Thanks for bringing this up. Since our last visit I've been placed on BP meds and was wondering about this. I will, of course, talk with my doctor before we return, but it's helpful to hear from others in the same situation.

Last visit, on EE, I felt as if I might pass out during the backwards portion. Thinking that will be better now that I'm on the meds, but will still check with my doc.

My husband is on blood pressure meds and rides anything he wants at Disney World. He did talk to his doctor who said, "why do you think you are on the meds? It's to keep the blood pressure in check so you can live your life the way you want to."

As for the signs on thrill rides (and other attractions as well), I paid attention to them for years after I broke my neck but when I asked the doctor about it, he said he was more concerned I'd be driving my car and get hit from the back end as that could cause more damage than riding a thrill ride at Disney World. So, ask the doctor and then make the decision.

I would suggest that you are included in the conversation with the doctor if you can be.

I take Lisinopril for mild high blood pressure and have not had any problems - BUT, as others have stated, it's best to check with your doctor first since everyone's situation is different!

As has been repeatedly advised above, this is a question for your personal physician. Other people's experience is no substitute for the physician's expert knowledge.

I was going to post some specifics of certain rides but I don't want that confused with any recommendation of what is safe to ride, as said, that's a conversation with your doctor and knowing what it feels like when your in trouble with it.

I do however want to say don't look at a ride like it's some nice safe boat floating in water, some of these even have drops usually while your in completely darkness. There are rides that are above the moderate family coaster experience with high g forces and designed to have you be a little anxious where they ride itself might be safe but when you add in all the factors of the experience it's not. Really take note of the safety signs and have that conversation with your doctor on what should be avoided..

with that said, I recently was diagnosed with high blood pressure and working it out with my doctors so I avoid a majority of the rides under their direction. I actually have a ball even when I can't join everyone I'm with on certain rides. It's a great time to really just look around and check out the area, look at what hidden food gem the different carts or stands you normally ignore actually sell. Also want to point out, disney can take care of dietary needs to help keep the bp in check during your trip and you shouldn't be shy to say things like "I can't have salt" and "can I speak to the chef about my dietary needs" when you go to order any food or treats. My no salt o'hana was actually rather tasty and there was some things they prepared that everyone else at the table wanted also.

As others have said, they should check with their doctor.

I am on 2 blood pressure medications myself, However due to some chest pains I admitted myself to the hospital and underwent a recent pulmonary cathitorization and stress test. the end result is that I know for a fact that I do not have blockages and my heart is healthy. My doctor said I am good to go as long as I take the medication twice a day like I am supposed to.

However each person is unique and it depends on the reasons for their condition as well as their overall health.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter