Blood in the Refrigerator...A Confusing But Fun Kidani Trip New 2/17

appleorchard

DIS Veteran
Hi!(waves madly with left hand-- I'm left handed, like many intelligent but odd people)

My name is Appleorchard (no, not really) and this is my second trip report. Here's a link to my first one. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3070783&highlight=there+s+no+crying+at+guest+relations

My DH and I are DVC members and we go to Disney a lot. I was just there with my DD M and DGD J(are you still with me?) in March and here I am again, in May, with DH, son and DIL M and K and grandchildren M and E, ages 11 and 8.

We stayed at Kidani Village.

Right here.

Not because I have any sort of deep seated interest in animals, or in animals at all, outside of my now departed dogs. But E does. E loves animals, all animals, all the time. So we stayed there for her.

It was a good decision, most of the time.

DH and I were taking the kids for a few days of alone time before M and K arrived. When we first started planning, we were taking them alone for the whole trip. Because son M said he was burned out on Disney and didn't want to go back like, forever. Remember this-- it's important later.

But K wanted to go. Badly. So they compromised. They would join us for the last two -- no, three-- no four days of our trip. Things kept changing. I kept revising reservations.

This will be important later too.

We transferred more points to our account. Twice. Fortunately we have two Use Years and can do things like that.

Finally we had dates and even airline reservations. We would arrive on Sunday around dinner time with the kids and M and K would join us on Tuesday.

Yeah, not much time alone. Then they'd leave Saturday and we would collapse over the Boardwalk for one night alone, to recover.

For those of you who read my last trip report, this will be completely different. Traveling with M, Km M and E is very different than traveling with my free-wheeling DD, also named M. (Her DH is also named M. In fact, in real life, he has the exact same name as my son and grandson M. It gets confusing sometimes.)

M's daughter, J is an only child of an extremely over the top mother. Yes, she's spoiled-- but it doesn't seem to affect her any. M and E, on the other hand, live in a much tighter ship. They don't call the shots at their house and they go with the flow. They're easy to travel with. At least until their parents show up.

M is a little nervous about the "big" rides -- like Space Mountain.

E loves them. LOVES them.

It was tricky figuring out how to give M time to adjust without holding E back. But he did great. Much better than our first trip with them, 6 years ago. Where he lost it-- and never got it back-- on the Wedway People Mover.

So that's the basics. We're flying down with the kids. We have to wait for their parents -- Mr. and Mrs. Major Procrastination -- to tell us when they're bringing them to us. Oh, and the dog. They're leaving their dog at our house with another of our sons'.

Typically, they call Friday night to talk about what we're doing Saturday.

Good thing I fly by the seat of my pants.

Tomorrow, we'll hopefully get off the ground.

I'm still debating about pictures, since there are more faces to block out this time. Plus, and this is the real crux, I'm out of photobucket space, so I'll have to delete some things first.

Wish me luck!

Oh, the title? It refers to an event that comes up on the day M and K arrive. No one gets hurt, I promise.

Next Chapter

I'm here! Now I have to go back and finish your other report!

Yay, can't wait to see what this trip brought! Thank for letting us know you started! :)

Joining this thread, I really enjoyed the last TR you did. I like the bits of snarkyness, right up my alley.

Glad to see you all! The blood isn't human, Dreamer, I promise! It's actually a take-off on the Country Bears Jamboree song, "Blood on the Saddle." But it was quite disconcerting at the time, not to mention upsetting until we figured out where it came from!

Before we could actually go to Disney World, we had to get the kids from Connecticut, where they live (although my grandson still tells people he's from Texas) to New Jersey, where we live.

Because that's where our plane was leaving from.

Not really. It was leaving from Pennsylvania, the worst airport in the United States. I hate the Philadelphia airport. I've been to nicer airports in Romania. Seriously.

I have a new game I play with M and K. It's called, "I refuse to call and bug you about this." I play this game with all our communications now, not just with those concerning Disney trips.

Our previous communication pattern was that I would call them a hundred billion times, begging for an answer to a simple question like, "Are you bringing the kids here or do you want us to get them? Do you plan on putting them on a bus? And what about the dog?"

The dog's name is Bonnie. I don't feel like it's giving away any state secrets to reveal her name here. She was going to stay with my son Ben at our house while we were all gone. Using his name in public doesn't bother me either.

E putting her sunglasses on the long-suffering Bonnie.

So back to my game. I never used to get an answer on the first try, or even the 100th, to my simple questions, so I stopped playing that game and started this new game, alternatively called "I don't ask since you don't tell." I duct tape my mouth, bind my arms with rope or find a way to sleep non-stop so I won't call them. I make them call me and tell me, when they're ready, whatever it is I want to know.

So DH and I were really hoping that they wouldn't bring the kids down. Not because we don't like seeing them, because we do. But we knew that it would be much much much much (and a bunch more muches) easier for us to get out the door Sunday morning for our flight if they weren't at our house.

Or worse yet, accompanying us to the airport.

The children are perfectly happy with us. We take good care of them. Having their parents there for the good-bye's complicates things.

Our wishes were granted. Yay! Pixie dust already.

They decided to meet us halfway, or as close as we can come, which is the last rest stop in NJ.

This is good. For one thing, it takes us less time to get there than it does them, so we have a shorter drive. For another thing, we won't have to worry about missing the plane due to protracted goodbyes.

We exchanged children, dogs, luggage and instructions for the care and feeding of same. We have taken care of Bonnie often, for as long as a month. We know her care and feeding as well as we know the children's.

E requires bacon. Lots of it, for breakfast and any other time I care to cook it. E eats the most amazing quantity of food, and yet, she's the wiriest kid I know.

It's sort of amazing.

M just wants junk food. Any kind will do. He loves our house.

Bonnie is the only dog I've ever known who won't eat all the dog food in her dish in a single sitting. We leave her food out all day, just as if she were a cat. If we had tried that with our last dog, or really any of our dogs, she would have eaten herself into a stupor in no time.

The kids went fishing off our dock for a little while when we got home. They love to fish, although E has more patience for it than M.

This is last year, but you get the idea.

That night we went to the Red Lion Diner. This is a tradition. Both children generally order breakfast for dinner, although E might also order a steak. An adult steak, and she eats it all. Amazing.

When we got back, I started worrying about the suitcases.

We were flying Air Tran, which means baggage fees. But K had packed the kid's suitcases so we could carry them both onto the plane. Which would save us from having to pay the baggage fees.

I was concerned that I would have to listen to excessive whining about pulling the suitcases and would be under pressure to do the honors for said whining child. But I bring my computer and DH has his own carry-on. We have enough to drag with us.

So I decided to compromise. We'd bring just one kid suitcase as a carry-on, and they could alternate pulling it.

This required clothes rearranging. It seemed silly to bring a carry-on and not pack a little of everyone's clothes in it, in case all our other suitcases took a slow boat to China rather than a plane ride to Orlando.

K is a very efficient packer; I completely messed up her kid's suitcases, which looked like works of art when I started and total messes when I finished.

I did try to put everything back neatly and partly succeeded. But now I had little people's clothes all over the place, in different suitcases.

This would haunt me later.

But for now, it was time to settle the kids, who quieted down faster than I've ever heard them do. Of course, they were both reading "Some Disney book for Kids" under their covers.

We're excited for the morning!

Next chapter: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=48602995&postcount=18

Love it, off to an awesome start again! You do not disappoint!

You are making me a little nervous about our October trip. :scared: We will be flying out of Philly to Orlando for the first time! Previously, we have done Newark and our local airport in Harrisburg. Fingers crossed.

Oh, we stayed in Kidani this past January and loved it, especially having to balcony to sit on and watch the animals. Very relaxing; I wish we had spent more time in the room!

I'm on board! :moped:
Just read through your last TR this evening and was highly entertained.

Glad to "see" you and hope to keep you amused lol.

I'm here. :wave2: I'd go nuts with so much fiddling with a TS reservation!

Oh, you have no idea! I thought I would lose my mind, but this is life with M and K. K does not make decisions quickly and M goes along with K in all things.

Love it, off to an awesome start again! You do not disappoint!

I hope not! It's a lot to live up to lol.

You are making me a little nervous about our October trip. :scared: We will be flying out of Philly to Orlando for the first time! Previously, we have done Newark and our local airport in Harrisburg. Fingers crossed.

Oh, we stayed in Kidani this past January and loved it, especially having to balcony to sit on and watch the animals. Very relaxing; I wish we had spent more time in the room!

Oh, don't worry. I hate it because it's ugly. It looks like a prison, with concrete everywhere. Planes do manage to leave there without any problems -- most of the time.

We didn't have enough time to watch the animals either-- in the morning, they were never out in the morning before we left after we moved from a 1 BR to a 2 BR. That was disappointing because it was the only time we were really there.

Because our flight didn't leave until 1:30 the next day, for complicated reasons involving money and tickets, we had lots of time to dawdle around before leaving around 11 o'clock.

The tickets--I should explain them. Because they had a really big bearing on all our planning.

Most people just buy tickets for the number of days they'll be at Disney. Easy peasy. But this doesn't work for us, because we can buy special military tickets.

They're really cheap. 4 hopper days for $156. It's a steal. DH and I don't need them, because we have annual passes.

Or so we think, to steal a line from Spaceship Earth.

There are actually two ticket issues, the military tickets and our APs.

I knew right where mine was. Put my hand on it in two seconds flat. It was in the fireproof box that we keep important stuff in.

DH last used his in October. And now he couldn't find it.

DH, in the last few years, has developed a habit of losing important stuff. Like credit cards. He spent 33 years as a military pilot. If he'd been like this then, he never would have found his way home.

Well, no worries, right? It's easy to replace an AP. I even had a copy(because I'm anal with Disney stuff) of the order for the AP, because we bought it because the prices were going to go up.

Or so I thought.

I brought the copy with me. Good thing I did, too. I'll tell you about that if we ever get to Florida, at this rate.

So, the military tickets. We get 6 each year. Or 5, depending on whether one of us needs one.

This is like kind of like a puzzle, or a Chinese fire drill.

M and J didn't use the military tickets in March, because we got them Y.E.S. tickets. We were there for 6 days and there didn't seem to be any point in using 1 military ticket and then having to buy a 2-day ticket for each of them.

Besides, I knew we were going with M and E and that they would need tickets. Then M and K decided to tag along and they would need tickets. I didn't want any sibling rivalry over the tickets.

So I kind of tricked DD M into buying the Y.E.S. tickets. (No, not really M, if you ever happen to stumble on this. Don't believe a word I say here)

And then there's my sister. She also covets the military tickets. Before M and J became Disney regulars, my sister Sue always used our tickets for at least 2 trips per year, for her, her daughter and her grandson. One trip usually with us, then another by themselves. She squeezes every last minute out of the tickets by buying the water park days, which you can also add on.

But you can't add on a single regular day. This makes me sad.

Sue was really hoping we'd end up with a ticket or two left, for her trip this summer.

It also explains why we're flying out so late and arriving in Florida at 4:30 in the afternoon.

I know, you forgot the point of this story, didn't you? No wonder.

We have 5 days at the park, so we're going to have to buy each kid a 1-day ticket, in addition to the military ticket. This too will become an issue later.

So we flew out in the afternoon, because we weren't going to go to a park the first day. Because it's too expensive to buy 2 2-day passes.

If M and K had stuck to their original plan, we could have used one day off each ticket for the kids. But I can't bring myself to do it, because I'm an oldest child, a rule follower to the max and I'm afraid I would get kicked out of the park.

So that's why we were still eating breakfast at 10:30 am.

I asked DH to please take a picture of me and the kids before we left, because I'm hardly ever in any pictures.

We have a hilarious video of him trying to take a picture with my camera on the video setting. I won't embarrass him here with it. But once I showed him (an electrical engineer with an MBA and a pilot with over 5,000 hours) how to use my camera, we got this picture.

c1ed16d8-4264-460e-a9f7-62aeaca09b13.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We're ready to walk out the door now -- really! We'll make Florida before the end of the week, I promise!

Next Chapter:
showpost.php

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter