Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon?

sebbeasen

Earning My Ears
Hi!
Me and my fiancée are going to Art of Animation (sept 6th to sept 12th) as part of our America trip. We have park hopper plus option and are planning to visit one of the water parks. The week after, we’re spending at Universal and we ARE going to visit Volcano Bay. We are a little childish but also like relaxing and probably need a calm day at one of Disney’s water parks. We will probably have half a day and no more for the water park. So, which one to choose? Let me hear all your different opinions! :dog2:

/Sebastian (my real name)

Like a lot of things at Disney, this is very subjective. Theming at the two parks is quite different, as are the slides.

Personally, we've always preferred Typhoon Lagoon over Blizzard Beach. Just like the tropical theme and the background music much more. Typhoon Lagoon also has a much better wave pool. If the goal is to relax some that day, TL may be the better choice as BB is not relaxing to me at all.

Steve

Definitely Typhoon Lagoon. For me personally, I don't like the holiday music that plays at Blizzard Beach. If you are able, rent an umbrella and set of chairs. It gives you a nice place to relax if you need a break while you are at the park.

I love both water parks. Not sure I'd say one is better than the other. They have very different wave pools and very different theming. They both have lazy rivers, thrill slides, family slides, tube slides, kiddie areas. You won't go wrong either way.

Just IMO, but don't rent an umbrella and/or chairs. One of the biggest wastes of money on WDW property. You can get that for free at both parks with no trouble.

Hey all - jumping in on the conversation as I was researching this very topic for my own upcoming trip. My kids are 10, 10, and 13 - they love roller coasters and are pretty good swimmers. We've only ever done Volcano Bay, which the whole family enjoyed. While we all love thrill rides, I, personally, have no plans on doing the BIG DROP type slides and I'm not sure I want my kids on them. LOL

I'm thinking a half day during Spring Break week (that's the week leading up to Easter). Based on what I've read so far, I would plan on being there for "rope drop", grab some chairs in the shade right away, and make a beeline for the big rides before the crowds arrive. If we get there early enough, seems like there's no need to rent a cabana or umbrella.

Here are my questions:
  • Which park do you recommend for us and why? Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach?
  • What's the food situation like there? Any recommendations?
  • Is half day enough? (Thinking 10 am - 2 pm) The plan is to get back to the resort in the early afternoon, just chill and relax (would love to encourage a nap) as I'd like to do a late night at one of the parks, hoping the crowds will be thinner.
  • Given that it is peak Spring Break season, how crowded will it be? We've never done WDW for Spring Break, so I am just bracing myself for the crowds and trying a few different experiences to help us navigate around them and *trying* to take a more relaxed approach to this trip vs. commando mode.
Thanks for your input!

Hey all - jumping in on the conversation as I was researching this very topic for my own upcoming trip. My kids are 10, 10, and 13 - they love roller coasters and are pretty good swimmers. We've only ever done Volcano Bay, which the whole family enjoyed. While we all love thrill rides, I, personally, have no plans on doing the BIG DROP type slides and I'm not sure I want my kids on them. LOL

I'm thinking a half day during Spring Break week (that's the week leading up to Easter). Based on what I've read so far, I would plan on being there for "rope drop", grab some chairs in the shade right away, and make a beeline for the big rides before the crowds arrive. If we get there early enough, seems like there's no need to rent a cabana or umbrella.

Here are my questions:
  • Which park do you recommend for us and why? Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach?
  • What's the food situation like there? Any recommendations?
  • Is half day enough? (Thinking 10 am - 2 pm) The plan is to get back to the resort in the early afternoon, just chill and relax (would love to encourage a nap) as I'd like to do a late night at one of the parks, hoping the crowds will be thinner.
  • Given that it is peak Spring Break season, how crowded will it be? We've never done WDW for Spring Break, so I am just bracing myself for the crowds and trying a few different experiences to help us navigate around them and *trying* to take a more relaxed approach to this trip vs. commando mode.
Thanks for your input!

1. Either one will be great, but I'd go with TL if your kids are thrill seekers and good swimmers. The wave pool is amaze-balls. It also has good thrill slides, Crush Gusher is a ton of fun.

2. Can't help there, we pack our own food

3. Yes. If you're there for 10am rope drop (you only need to show up at 9:55am), you can hit all the big slides multiple times within the first hour, then do the smaller slides, wave pool and lazy river

4. It won't be. The water parks never get crowds remotely close to the theme parks, even on a hot 4th of July day.

Just note there are stairs...lots and lots of stairs to climb. Be ready.

The Wave Pool at TL is the best attraction at either park. Overall though I like Blizzard Beach Water slides better. If I had to pick one for half day adventure i would go with Typhoon Lagoon.

Gonna preface this by saying I live by the beach so the wave pool is not a selling point for me - but we prefer Blizzard Beach by a long shot. The slides are all better there and there are tons of cool places to set up camp and hang out. The lazy river is the same at both. The one thing that TL that I do miss at BB is the water coaster - that is a lot of fun.

We hit both in one day. We were at TL at rope drop. Did every attraction at least once (not the kiddie area). 3 rides on crush n gusher, at least 4 on miss adventure, etc. We ate lunch there and left maybe around 2? We drove over to BB and stayed until 4:30 maybe. We hit all the slides at least once except the two that drop straight down and the kiddie/teen areas.

I visited both in September 2018, and I agree that it is a matter of preference. I enjoy both theming and the lazy river are basically equal.
IMO it's mostly a matter of slides vs wave pool. If you seek a little bit more adrenaline, I'd chose BB, because I think the slides are better over there. I live by the beach so the wave pool for my family is not a big deal.
In my last visit, the
The food is not to die for. I give a slight edge to Lottawatta Lodge in BB, but I'd say that all the options are subpar.
Both water parks serve Sand Pail Sundae which is pretty good and huge.

Thanks for all the great tips! You may not have made this an easier decision, but at least I know the differences 👍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter