• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Black helicopter flying around parks and resorts

We asked about the helicopters and were told that some of them were emergency medical flights.

Just leaving Orlando after roughly 3 weeks. We stayed off property at the Hilton Buena Vista Palace and Pop Century.
The helicopter was extremely distracting. Walking around Disney Springs? There it is. Dip in the pool at Pop? There it is.
Is it still storming? Well, there is the helicopter again, guess it cleared up.

IMO it can’t be a medical copter, it was non-stop on sunny days. Sometimes 2 helicopters going.

We just stayed at BW and during our pool day the helicopters were constant and they took the same route every time. Dh timed it and one flew over every 3-5 minutes

Definitely agreeing the helicopters were constant on our trip last week. We noticed a news report for process on the SW hotel later the first evening but weren't paying attention to the news beyond that.

I’ve seen the 3-mile radius is from the castle, so part of Epcot is in the no-fly zone and part is not. The rest of WDW outside of that radius, thus many of the resorts, is not In the no-fly zone.

it’s not centered on the castle. It is actually centered just south of contemporary resort.
on a lat/long of Latitude: 28º24'45"N, Longitude: 81º34'20"W and only extends upward 3000’.
Copy and paste the lat/long Into map app of choice to see for yourself.
https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_3634.html

it’s not centered on the castle. It is actually centered just south of contemporary resort.
on a lat/long of Latitude: 28º24'45"N, Longitude: 81º34'20"W and only extends upward 3000’.
Copy and paste the lat/long Into map app of choice to see for yourself.
https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_3634.html
Thanks. The point is, for others reading this thread, that the NFZ doesn’t cover all of WDW, just a fairly small part. So the helicopters are free to fly over most of it.

I noticed more than usual helicopters too. I asked one of the security in front of parks wondering if it had something to do with security. She told me it was tour companies.

There could be several reasons for military helicopters flying over your area: training exercises, routine operations, security operations, etc. If you're concerned or curious about the specific reason for the helicopter activity, you can contact local authorities, check news sources, or look for official statements from military or government sources.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter