• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bitten by the running bug!

moonbill2002

Earning My Ears
My husband told me last night "step away from the Saucony's" :rotfl: I had just informed me that in addition to the 5k Cancer Firkin' Sucks 5k on October 8th, the 10k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day, and the Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon in January, I was now going to run the Race for the Cure October 2. He looked at me, his wife who had been telling him for years she was "not a runner, can't run, will never be able to run, is not built for running", etc. and thought I had lost my mind. The fact that I went out for a 4 mile run this past weekend, completed it in 43 minutes AND felt great was amazing. I realized that I can do anything I set my mind to and as long as I train smart and take it slow, I CAN be a runner. Maybe not Speedy Gonzales but I can run these races and finish successfully.

It's very emotional for me because I have this picture in my mind of a little girl in high school, collapsing in the track in tears, yelling at her coach that she can't make it one lap around because "it's too hard and my side hurts, I can't breathe, and I'm just not someone who can run, coach". But here I am, training for a friggin' 1/2 marathon!!! I'm more than halfway to my fundraising goal of $500 for my charity and I've lost 4.5lbs in the past 2 weeks (not to mention 2 inches off my waistline). I get up at 4:45am and my butt is out the door running by 5am. I just LOVE it!!! I feel so darn free when I'm running; it's hard to explain but I now understand why so many people who run and have for years find it cathartic. It's definitely a time I get to almost meditate. Anyways, I just wanted to share because I think others around me are getting sick of my emotions running rampant when it comes to my newfound love :lovestruc

I completely understand you. :)

I started my running journey in April with the goal to run the Princess 1/2 next February. I used to HATE running. Now I get it. I look forward to my days that I run and use it as my "me" time.

I am right there with you. I am still in complete shock that I love to run! I remember my walking days when I would watch the other runners and tell my husband, you never see me doing that.
Now I am telling him that I am signing the family up for the race for the cure. My husband and girls will do the 1 mile while I will run the 5k. Hoping I will be done before they cross the finish line. That would be awesome!

I'm an adult onset runner myself. I always played sports, like to run short distances, and was pretty fast as a sprinter but even running a mile killed me. Now I love it.

Keep it up and good work.

I feel the same way. I've been running on and off since 2007, but I really got into it this March. I find myself itching to go out running on my rest days, and only hold back to make sure I stay injury-free. I love the peace of running alone and the camaraderie of going with a friend. Can't wait until I'm out again tomorrow night! :banana:

I don't think you have to explain it to another runner. We are one tribe, united by that singular feeling of freedom and accomplishment.

Amen sister! People who don't run, don't understand, but those that do can easily relate!

DW and I started running in January 2011 and she told me she would NEVER run! She was content walking, doing pilates, and some strength training. After the pounds started melting off me, she realized there was no better way to burn calories and she started (still saying she'd never run the entire time).

I began loving running, even though it was just the treadmill. She hated it, but pushed through, thinking I was crazy the entire time for loving it.

We started road training together a few weeks ago and now both wake up like kids on Christmas morning, ready for our runs! We both look forward so much to our morning runs! Now, I even get grumpy on days I don't run because of a scheduled rest day!

It truly is a lifestyle!

:)Yes , sometimes it is a little hard. But we can obtain a lot through this.Whatever, take care!^_^:)

It truly is a lifestyle!

That's for sure. Once you are a runner it kind of creeps into other parts of your life. I have a tradition of running on Christmas Eve before heading to dinner at my Grandma's, of doing the Turkey Trot before dinner on Thanksgiving, I try to find a local race whenever I travel and often travel to do events. I want to go back to Rome to do the Rome Marathon and if there is a city I want to go visit I try and make that trip coincide with their local marathon weekend.

Luckily I have friends who like to do the same so I don't feel alone in my insanity.

That's for sure. Once you are a runner it kind of creeps into other parts of your life. I have a tradition of running on Christmas Eve before heading to dinner at my Grandma's, of doing the Turkey Trot before dinner on Thanksgiving, I try to find a local race whenever I travel and often travel to do events. I want to go back to Rome to do the Rome Marathon and if there is a city I want to go visit I try and make that trip coincide with their local marathon weekend.

Luckily I have friends who like to do the same so I don't feel alone in my insanity.

That's so funny! I travel alot for work and I've started looking for races where I'll be traveling. I usually just hit the treadmill at the hotel unless their is a good place to run near the hotel. I figure if I'm going to get my runs in, I might as well get a t-shirt for it! lol.

Years ago I was bitten by the bicycling bug. 100 miles on a Saturday morning and I'm in heaven. Leaving FW after our January stay we always saw the masses on their way to completing the Marathon so last year I told DW, "I'm going to do that". I had the walking bug bite me and this past January I completed the Goofy and DW did the 5K and Half.

That sucker has no limits as far as biting because my next goal is triathlons.

It is fantastic seeing so many out on the roads training and being part of a 27,000 strong group Saturday AM for the Half and 17,000 on Sunday for the Full is simply awesome. One foot in front of the other whether walking or running is a lifestyle that more should adapt because it is healthy and fun.

Good training and excellent events to all.

So now, I know I'm a runner. As I saw posted somewhere "whether it's a 14 minute mile or a 7 minute mile, it's still a mile!". Yesterday, I was scheduled to race a 5k in my hometown. It's called "Cancer Firkin' Sucks" and I ran it last year as my very first race ever :) But I had pulled my hamstring Wednesday at kickboxing, then developed a raging head cold. The old me "the non runner" would have just given up, stayed home and whined. But the runner in me said "get up, see your physical therapist (who gave me a green light to run), and then go do what you can". So I did.....and it felt amazing! I finished with a time of 34:48 which is an improvement over last year's time of 35:08, with a bum hammie and a cold :woohoo: Plus, I got to share this year with my husband and 15 year old, who were both racing for the first time (they beat me quite easily by about 7 minutes...lol). Came home, iced up my leg, popped some ibuprofens and will take it a little easy this week. But the fact is, I couldn't stay home and not participate. My heart needed to get out there and just run, do what I could, and cross that finish line. And that makes me......a runner. :)

I can relate. I used to say "I'll only run if someone is chasing me." I was an aerobics snob. I thought that doing choreography took some brains, while I thought running was mindless. Then, I developed a Morton's neuroma on my foot and started a walking routine. After my foot surgery and 2 years of racewalking... I decided to start running. (Much to the surprise of my family and friends... "You're Running!!") I love it. I do think it's mindless- I turn my mind off and just run-which is exactly what I Love about it:lovestruc. Call me a Runner and I love it:love:

Count me in too! I did some sports growing up but was never a runner. Did my first 5k two years ago and was mighty sore afterwards but signed up for a 10k, and did surprisingly well (with no soreness). I did my first half marathon last week - my time was not great, but I finished!

I would love to incorporate running in my travels too. Unfortunately I am the only one in the family who has been bitten by the running bug. Otherwise, we would be traveling and doing running events too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter