• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birthday trip for parents who need scooters

toodycat

DIS Veteran
Hi, all. Happy Mother's Day. Both my parents will turn 75 in 2012 and I am kicking around the idea of taking them to WDW to celebrate. Although I've been there many times and they've been there about 3-4 times, we've never been there together. I would like to take them to a deluxe property on the monorail. Dad is partial to the Poly. I like the GF. Mom and Dad will definitely need scooters because they are both pretty arthritic. They can walk short distances and swim, though. Does anyone have any hints or advice about where to stay, where to rent the scooters or any other tips?

Many thanks!

For renting scooters, there are links and phone numbers in post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

I would also suggest looking on page 2 of the disABILITIES thread because there are several posts about touring with an ECV (one post for each park),

The resorts on the monorail are very nice because the monorail is very easy to use with a scooter. You can take the monorail directly to Magic Kingdom or transfer at the Ticket and Transportation Center (as you know if you have stayed at the GF).
I think if they would like to stay at the Poly, that is a very good choice. Grand Floridian is also nice, of course, but if they really want the Poly, I personally would go with that.

but some couples share a scooter. Obviously, two scooters would be faster. If they want to walk some then sharing is a good idea.

It can be trickier with two, outside rental scooters using Disney transportation. If someone is ahead of you then you either split your group up or you wait for the next bus. Monorails and the ferries will be able to accomodate you most of the time. If you use a car then it has to be big enough to hold two, scooters. If you rent at the parks then this doesn't matter.

Another consideration is charging up two scooters each night. Most resorts want you to put the scooters in your room. I believe there are some who may let you use a corridor which has an outlet. I can't tell you which one allows it, but maybe, others can chime in..

If the arthritis is in their hands you may want to practice using store scooters to see how well they do. If it doesn't work out you may need a wheelchair for one of them. I would see how this goes on the home front.

Thanks. I don't know if they could share a scooter. Both are large people and my dad is a less cautious driver than my mom.

I wondered if either the GF or the Poly was more scooter-friendly than the other or if one is better appointed for charging than the other.

I don't think we would take Disney transportation. We would probably rent a van or SUV, assuming one of those vehicles could fit two ECVs.

Where would you be driving them that they would need to take the scooters? If you stay on site, in a hotel on the monorail, and eat at WDW restaurants, what else are you planning? If you're going to an off-site restaurant could you park in handicapped parking near the entrance (or drop them off close by) and have them walk a few feet?

DH and I both rented scooters last January and stayed at the Grand Floridian. The room wasn't large enough to accommodate the scooters so we parked them in the hallway near the room. We checked with concierge and were told what to do. We kept the keys with us, so the scooters didn't drive away without us. I don't know where the Poly would tell you to put them. Our extended family has eaten at Ohana and loved it, and I would like to stay there some day. In January it was actually cheaper to stay at the Grand Flo. I've heard that WDW gives a 30% deluxe hotel discount to seniors over 60, tho we saved more than that by staying off-season.

We rode the monorail and buses, and never had to split up. When we rode the buses, it took longer to parallel park the scooters onboard, and the driver had to anchor them down (like seatbelts.) For the monorail we just drove onboard and drove off. Even tho the buses were a bit of a hassle, it was still simpler than trying to cram two scooters into a car.

The scooter rental place will caution your parents not to race each other. 8^) It's not racing if they're just trying to keep up with each other, right?

We always rent a car. We use the monorail, but DH doesn't have the patience to wait for buses, so we would use them to get to AKL and DHS.

It means you alternate and take turns using the scooter. You are not allowed to have two people on the same scooter. One would walk while the other one would drive.

You will have to be smart on how you place the two scooters to fit. You will probably have to use the car back seat for some of it. It will probably be 5 pieces each scooter. A van would probaly work better than a SUV; unless, you get the giant SUV.

Two ECVs will not fit in a car if you have anyone in the back seat.

I used to own a Ford Taurus. I could fit my ECV in the trunk. When we got Judy a Go-Go (which is small) we ended up doing the following: Both seats on the back set of the car. The batteries from my ECV on the floor in the back seat. I was able to get everything else to fit in the trunk.

One year when using rentals, we were traveling with another family, so we had four adults and two teen-age girls. I needed an ECV, and the other wife had just broken an ankle and also needed an ECV. We went over to the car rental place at the Car Care Center and tried everything up to and including a big Cadillac sedan and nothing would fit.

I don't think we would take Disney transportation. We would probably rent a van or SUV, assuming one of those vehicles could fit two ECVs.

Hi Toodycat,

When you call or go online to book the scooters, you'll have the option of picking a premium scooter (sometimes called heavy duty) or a transportable scooter. Two transportable scooters should fit in the back of most SUVs, but if you choose the premium scooters you'll definitely want to rent a van.

Just a little tip - if you get the hotel to store the scooters for you over night, don't forget to remind them to plug them in :)

Oh, and if you want to get this all sorted away quickly, you can rent a scooter from Scootaround up to one year in advance.

Obviously, I have a suggestion about who I think you should rent from, but I'll keep that to myself :)

Feel free to call or visit our website (1-888-441-7575 scootaround.com) if you have some specific questions - or just ask me.

Hope this helps!
Mike

Thanks everyone. I think we would probably get a van. Mike, i will bookmark scootarama's page to save for our plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter