• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birthday Ideas at WDW for blind, 9 year old boy

Aunt Stepody

Mouseketeer
We will be celebrating one of our friend's son's birthday this year at WDW. I was just wondering if you might have any suggestions to make it extra special for him. I would especially love to hear gift ideas and restaurant selections for a birthday celebration.

Here is a little info on this child. He will be turning 9 years old this year. One of his favorite places to be is Disney. Almost 2 years ago, he was diagnosed with a rare, neuro-degenerative disease (Batten Disease) that has made him lose his vision and since there is no cure will eventually take his life by his late teens to early twenties. He has already been blessed with a Make a Wish Trip to Disneyland. His mom said they did try a device there that gave him full audio description while on the rides. She said he loved it. So we plan on utilizing this. I believe I also saw something about a Pal Mickey. Do they still have these? What exactly does it do?

Our family (my 2 boys) has been to WDW before with this family (back in 2007) when he still had his vision. We totally understand this trip will be different. I would love any tips, ideas, etc. for my family/children as well. We want him to have a good time, but we don't want to smother him either.

Thanks for your help. :lovestruc

Alright...change of plans...tonight he decided he actually wants to be at Universal on his actual birthday(still doing Disney on this trip, but he just wanted to do something different with my boys this trip). So, if you have any suggestions :idea: for dining or gifts at US, then I would greatly appreciate it.

I used to work with some students with Batten's, and I am sorry to hear about this young man.

If he is a HP fan, I would suggest tring to go to the Three Broomsticks when it is less busy(if that is even possible) so that he might be able to listen to all the sounds that go on "up stairs" and Moaning Mertle in the bathroom.
For an HP gift you could give him HP audiobook. The man who reads them does a great job of making different sounding voices for all the characters and the voices are consistant throughout all the audio books. He might like one of the wands from Olivanders, or you could get the plastic wand that lights up and makes noise when it is moved. My DD got one years ago for halloween so I am not sure where you would get one now.

For non park related gifts, you could get a beeping baseball or a bell ball.

I used to work with some students with Batten's, and I am sorry to hear about this young man.

If he is a HP fan, I would suggest tring to go to the Three Broomsticks when it is less busy(if that is even possible) so that he might be able to listen to all the sounds that go on "up stairs" and Moaning Mertle in the bathroom.
For an HP gift you could give him HP audiobook. The man who reads them does a great job of making different sounding voices for all the characters and the voices are consistant throughout all the audio books. He might like one of the wands from Olivanders, or you could get the plastic wand that lights up and makes noise when it is moved. My DD got one years ago for halloween so I am not sure where you would get one now.

For non park related gifts, you could get a beeping baseball or a bell ball.

Thank you, thank you for your help. His mother is actually a big HP fan. So, she did mention going to the Three Broomsticks. Sounds like a great idea to me, especially if it has special sound effects. He would love that.

I also love the HP audiobook idea. Do you get these in the park or do they sell them elsewhere?

I'd also love to hear how you worked with children with this disease. Please PM me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter