Birthday/anniversary dinner

Rwethereyet?

Earning My Ears
We will be in Disney for our 16th wedding anniversary which is also my birthday. I want to plan a special dinner for that evening. Our 3 kids will be with us (12,10,4). We are staying at the WL so I was thinking Artist Point or California grill but I wasn’t sure how kid friendly those options are. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated!

We will be in Disney for our 16th wedding anniversary which is also my birthday. I want to plan a special dinner for that evening. Our 3 kids will be with us (12,10,4). We are staying at the WL so I was thinking Artist Point or California grill but I wasn’t sure how kid friendly those options are. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated!
We went to California Grill in 2016 and it was definitely kid-friendly. Plus, watching the MK fireworks from the roof top deck is amazing! We haven't had the pleasure of dining at Artist Point, yet.

California Grill is kid-friendly. I had a terrible experience at Artist Point so I don't recommend it. Have you ever tried Yachtsman Steakhouse? It's my favorite signature on property and I recommend it for all special occasions. It's also kid friendly :)

Of those two, I would definitely describe California Grill as far more kid-friendly. The view alone from the top of the Contemporary is engaging, where kids may be fairly indifferent (bored, maybe) by the interior of Artist Point. I know this might sound counter-intuitive for an anniversary, but have you ever been to the Hoop Dee Doo review? The food is excellent, and the show is equally good. A great, memorable time overall, and it's just a boat ride away from WL.

Of those two, I would definitely describe California Grill as far more kid-friendly. The view alone from the top of the Contemporary is engaging, where kids may be fairly indifferent (bored, maybe) by the interior of Artist Point. I know this might sound counter-intuitive for an anniversary, but have you ever been to the Hoop Dee Doo review? The food is excellent, and the show is equally good. A great, memorable time overall, and it's just a boat ride away from WL.
I actually did think about hoop dee doo, I’ve never seen it and always thought it sounded fun!

I took my daughter to the California Grill for the 1st time when she was 5 and she loved it. To me Artist Point is a little to snobby and the waitstaff is a little to hit or miss for my taste.

I think Cali Grill or Hoop de Doo would be a great place to celebrate an anniversary. At HDDR, don't they recognize special occasions as part of the show?

Other than Victoria & Albert - every restaurant at Disney is child friendly.

Your 4 y.o. is the 'problem' with staying for fireworks at CA Grill. But Artist Point is no better - since any 4 y.o. will rarely do well sitting through a nice meal - especially if you've been in the Parks earlier in the day.

I remind my child that when she was young - she ruined each and every sit-down meal we ever attempted to enjoy at Disney.

Then we learned about Camp Dolphin (and we stay at the Dolphin & Contemporary).

Disney is closing their 'Camps', but Camp Dolphin is a 'free' service if you buy an entree at any of the Signatures at Swan & Dolphin. Some restrictions apply.....
https://www.swandolphin.com/kids/campdolphin.html

But if you really want to go to CA Grill or Artist Point - I think CA Grill is the better option. Your two older children may be able to help create diversions for the young one by taking short walks.

Which offers another option - Narcoossee's - they also have an outside deck for creating diversions....and fireworks view.

Fourth choice, maybe something to keep the young one engaged, and is fun for the entire family - Hoop Dee Doo Revue. The food is meh, but a fun time can be had by all who attend. It's certainly not a Signature experience, but 4 y.o. kid behavior is a guessing game after a day of Park stimulus.

Happy Birthday, Everyone!:cake:

We love Artist Point, but Cali Grill definitely has the "wow" factor with the views from the observation decks. HDDR is a ton of fun and they will recognize your birthday and anniversary!

Other than Victoria & Albert - every restaurant at Disney is child friendly.

Your 4 y.o. is the 'problem' with staying for fireworks at CA Grill. But Artist Point is no better - since any 4 y.o. will rarely do well sitting through a nice meal - especially if you've been in the Parks earlier in the day.

I remind my child that when she was young - she ruined each and every sit-down meal we ever attempted to enjoy at Disney.

Then we learned about Camp Dolphin (and we stay at the Dolphin & Contemporary).

Disney is closing their 'Camps', but Camp Dolphin is a 'free' service if you buy an entree at any of the Signatures at Swan & Dolphin. Some restrictions apply.....
https://www.swandolphin.com/kids/campdolphin.html

But if you really want to go to CA Grill or Artist Point - I think CA Grill is the better option. Your two older children may be able to help create diversions for the young one by taking short walks.

Which offers another option - Narcoossee's - they also have an outside deck for creating diversions....and fireworks view.

Fourth choice, maybe something to keep the young one engaged, and is fun for the entire family - Hoop Dee Doo Revue. The food is meh, but a fun time can be had by all who attend. It's certainly not a Signature experience, but 4 y.o. kid behavior is a guessing game after a day of Park stimulus.

Happy Birthday, Everyone!:cake:

You can see the EP, DHS and MK fireworks from Cali Grill so if there is an earlier show (such as Fantasmic), there is still something for young children, who can't stay up late, to see. My DS10 has been to Cali Grill (and almost every other signature at WDW) multiple times since he was 3 and was never a problem. And he's never seen the MK fireworks from there, I might add. He still enjoys going on the decks and seeing the views.

We were not impressed with Cali Grill. The view is too far away. The dining is pretentious. Artist Point is fine but nothing special.
Since you are choosing to celebrate your anniversary with your children (yeah for you), then I also vote for Hoop Dee Doo. That will be a more memorable experience. Save the signature restaurant for you and your wife when you are back at home and get a sitter.

You can see the EP, DHS and MK fireworks from Cali Grill so if there is an earlier show (such as Fantasmic), there is still something for young children, who can't stay up late, to see. My DS10 has been to Cali Grill (and almost every other signature at WDW) multiple times since he was 3 and was never a problem. And he's never seen the MK fireworks from there, I might add. He still enjoys going on the decks and seeing the views.
Parents know their children best.

My child is/was typically well-behaved (because her father is an Ogre), but after a day in the Parks, she was a different person.

Thankfully, electronic devices are useful tools, but that kinda' defeats some of the desire to dine as a family.

The calculus for every family is different. But my description to the OP was intended to point out that even typically well-behaved children can become 'different people', albeit temporarily, after a day in the Parks. Planning an 8pm ADR to then see the fireworks is not likely to work for many, if not most, 4 y.o.. I am glad that it has for you.

Parents know their children best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter