• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bipolar/ASD Child at WDW -- what can I expect?

dmiller64152

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for any advice on what to expect taking my DS8 to WDW. He will be the only child on the trip, not interested in rides, and we'll probably do just about whatever he wants to do. BUT ... he's also very contrary and oppositional and subject to tantrums, and somewhat sensitive to crowds and sensory issues. I just have no idea what to expect. I could see him becoming an angel when we enter the parks, or making his grandmother and I completely miserable.

I posted on an earlier thread that I've developed a strategy ... purchasing a $25 gift card for each of the eight days of our stay, which he will earn for the next day by behaving. That's a strategy that works at home -- call it bribery, but money is about the only thing that motivates him.

Anyone else with similar children -- can you tell me about your experiences at WDW???

Many with ASD children find that providing a "safe haven" is immensely helpful. We use a larger special-needs stroller for our 8-year-old, but a pediatric wheelchair might be used if he feels a stroller is too "babyish." If using a stroller, you will want to stop at Guest Relations to request a stroller-as-wheelchair tag.

Will he wear headphones? Either noise reducing/noise cancelling headphones, or ones with an iPod to listen to music can help to mentally remove him from the chaos around him. We also use small toys and hand-held electronic games to amuse while in line - these are toys/games that only come out of the bag while in line so it's sort of a special thing not used at other times.

You know your child best, and you know his triggers best. Trying to avoid those triggers is key. Keep to your regular routine as much as possible - when to get up, eat meals, bed time, etc. His body is programmed to that. Take frequently breaks (find the quiet spots), have snacks and stay well-hydrated. We also plan a "resort day" every few days - time away from the parks, hang at the pool, maybe go to Downtown Disney.

Also, using a touring plan to determine lower crowd levels and fastpasses help to avoid too much crowds and long lines. My family has found this more helpful than a GAC because of the sometimes longer waits with alternate entrances. Setting expectations is also a big one for our family because DD loves a schedule - we will go on this ride, then we'll get a snack while we wait for the parade - that sort of thing. You can also view a lot of rides on YouTube which many find helpful to let their child know what to expect and then he can decide if he'd like to go on that ride or not.

Enjoy your vacation!

lanejudy gave a lot of good advice.

Because most people with ASD do like schedules and don't like surprises, it can be helpful to make a schedule or social story.
This is a link to a really nice social story scrapbook that a DIS poster made for her child
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=24182166#post24182166
(If you lose it, there is a link to that thread in post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.)

The book in that thread is quite fancy - the author is a scrapbooker - but a simpler book or schedule will work just as well.

A book, schedule or social story can also help with transitions, which is something many people with autism have difficulty with. Helping deal with transitions can help o prevent meltdowns and tantrums.

Forgot to mention, you can find more information about Guest Assistance Cards (GACs ) in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

But, as lanejudy posted, many people with children with autism find that a touring plan and using Fastpasses work better for them. The touring plan (at least knowing which park is likely to be most busy) is very helpful. Using Fastpasses are more predictable than using a GAC, because the same thing happens every time.

I originally posted this in Community before someone directed me here, and I was asked the same question. You can check out that board for my long response if you'd like. Short answer, yes, he wants to go to Disney! He's a huge Star Wars fan and we're going for SWW, and he's also very interested in the cultural and educational aspects of Epcot and AK.

I originally posted this in Community before someone directed me here, and I was asked the same question. You can check out that board for my long response if you'd like. Short answer, yes, he wants to go to Disney! He's a huge Star Wars fan and we're going for SWW, and he's also very interested in the cultural and educational aspects of Epcot and AK.
I'm going to suggest a couple of books. I will just put the titles now and come back later when I have more time about why.

The Imagineering Field Guide to xxxxxx
- there is one for each park.

WDW by Kids for Kids
That may not be the exact title, but is close.

Just ordered the Imagineering Guides from overstock.com. Thanks for the recommendation -- they look fascinating for both of us! DS only reads non-fiction and these look to be right up his alley.

Will you be driving to WDW or renting a car OR relying on Disney transportation? Our DD with autism (only child too) is now 9 years old, soon to be 10. She LOVES Disney World but has some of the issues your son has with close, crowded spaces... We stay on site and always rent a car and drive to the parks as the buses can just get too crowded for her. She is okay on the monorail because we always bring her special needs stroller (which unfortunately she will soon be growing out of) because it gives her a defined space when she feels overwhelmed. The stroller is also necessary while in line at the attractions. Unlike your son, she LOVES the rides and the faster the better for her, LOL. But as you know, there is so much more than rides in WDW and it sounds like your son will have a great time at Star Wars weekend. We will be there then too but DD isn't interested in it but DH is!

I have a son with Aspergers, he is now 10 and has been going since he was 4 months for normally 3wks at a time( we cone over from the uk )my son can react differently every time we go to Disney world,

1. When we took him
As a baby and toddler he hated fireworks because of the noise and screamed real bad so the next time we went we skipped them ( nanny would stay back at the hotel while hubby and I went) but a few yrs of skipping them the twins wanted to go and he insisted he would not be left in the room or pool with nanny, so we tried the noise reduction head phones they worked brilliant and he used them each time. And now LOVES fireworks..
I Also found he hated rides that went into a building, so the next trip we watched lots of YouTube ride videos so he knew what to expect, it helped lots and he tried many of the rides,

2. We could not let him get hungry/ thirsty or tired as this just made anything he would usually meltdown over 10 times worse! And he would flap nose rub and stim badly.

Does your child like to swim? We found taking a break to swim was very calming for him.
It gave him chance to cool down snack and get respite before going back to the excitement and over stimulation of the parks!
Water park days was some of his favourite days.

I let Brandon plan as much or as little as he wants to, we don't do everything he wants all the time as I also have twins who do not have any form of disabilities luckily even though they are a few years younger they are very patient to his needs, and will luckily put up with alot from him.

My son can be totally predictable at home but at Disney world I find that can go completely out the window lol.
For example.....
He always has to sit by me for everything but at Disney he wanted to ride on his own? And would make daddy and me sit with the twins.

One yr he went on everything the twins could not do,but last trip he hardly did any of the big rides as it wasn't special anymore due to his brothers now being big enough to ride with us too!

You won't know his reactions till you get there so make plans but if you see him struggling then get a GAC it can help depending on his needs!
Many parents do not know what to tell guest services as they don't know what accomadation their child may need, so let yourself get a feel for the place try the lines etc out, you can go to GS and get a GAC at any time, but at least you will then know what accomadation to ask for when you know the struggles .

Don't expect too much, that way you can be pleasantly surprised at what you get done,
Disney world does wonderful things for a child on the spectrum.
Have a fab trip :)

What brands of reducing/noise cancelling headphones do y'all use? We use little earplugs for shows and football games here, but they don't really help with fireworks. My 6-yr-old's ears are really tiny too, and I have to split one of the earplugs in half to even fit it in his ear. We are going July 4th week!

What brands of reducing/noise cancelling headphones do y'all use? We use little earplugs for shows and football games here, but they don't really help with fireworks. My 6-yr-old's ears are really tiny too, and I have to split one of the earplugs in half to even fit it in his ear. We are going July 4th week!

A lot of people recommend this type:
Peltor Junior Earmuffs

The link I found was pink, but they come in other colors and are made for kids. They can be decorated by the child with stickers and most children like the bright colors. They are made for deadening sound.

Many of the noise reducing/noise canceling headphones are made to make listening to music more pleasant and not really help with noises.

Some people also have a lot of luck with the types of earphones used by people ehen they are shooting guns. They do a good job of blocking sudden noises like gunshots, so also do a good job on similar sounds like fireworks.
That kind might be too big for a small 6 yr old though.

jlr9882 said:

We use the type of head phones that are used for plane watching of shooting, I've found these are much much better then noise reducing ones they sell for kids,
Some made no impact on the noise at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter