Bike rentals, golf carts and other transportation musings

Alby

Mouseketeer
Hi all! :wave2:

Very first FW camper here, as I have always stayed only at the Deluxe resorts, but after a very successful HDDR and FW exploration last year, I am thinking about staying at a cabin on one of my next trips (if work allows it... we'll see).

As I will probably be solo and car - less, though, I have a few transportation - related questions.

Are the bike rentals day by day only, or can a bike be rented on the first day and given back on the last? I would like to use a bike as my primary transportation, but I would need them mostly very early in the morning, when the bike barn is still closed.

As an alternative, are golf carts difficult to manage for someone who doesn't drive? :blush:

Finally, do the boats run early enough for a 8 am breakfast reservation in the MK (when the park opens at 9)? What about a 7 am breakfast reservation at the Contemporary? (I am not very optimistic about that one)

Thanks a lot :flower3:! I'd be very excited to make this work!

Welcome to the camping board Alby.

Bike rentals are by the day. $18.00 per plus tax. If you wanted a bike you could buy a cheap one at Wal-Mart.com and have it shipped to The Fort.

You have to have a drivers license to rent a golf cart.

The boats to MK run about a half hour before MK opens.

The boat to the CR starts about 6:45. So it would be possible for a 7AM breakfast. Also you could take a boat to the CR and walk to MK via the walkway in about 10 minutes or so to make an 8AM breakfast there.

It would definitely be doable. :thumbsup2

Thanks a lot! :-)

Re golf carts, I do have a driving license, but I haven't driven for 5 years and I wouldn't feel confident driving a car on the road.

I was just wondering if golf carts are easier (should be?) and could be a feasible option. Thanks!

Thanks a lot! :-)

Re golf carts, I do have a driving license, but I haven't driven for 5 years and I wouldn't feel confident driving a car on the road.

I was just wondering if golf carts are easier (should be?) and could be a feasible option. Thanks!

I'd say a golf cart is easier than driving a car.

I'm a fan of bike transportation and I've always thought that the Fort should offer longer term bike rentals. Actually, what they should think about is the rental bikes like you see in bigger cities where you just use your credit card to pay the machine to take one off the rack then return it at the same place or at a rack in a different location.

Like these:
http://capitalbikeshare.com/
http://citibikenyc.com/
https://bixi.com/

I wonder how feasible this type of thing would be at the Fort.

Thanks everyone!

I am actually thinking about renting a bike from offsite, Orlando Bike rentals and Buena Vista scooters both provide the service and delivery. We'll see... :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter