Biggest mistakes that can ruin your WDW vacations

Goopy

I live less than 8 miles from the Magic
I am curious to see what everyone thinks the biggest most common mistakes are that people make when they plan their vacation to WDW.

Planning too much and creating a stressful situation for everyone.

You can't see it all, so give up trying.

Take the time to enjoy what you do see, and everyone will have a great trip.

I agree with too much planning. I understand people want to get their money's worth and try to see/do everything, but it's just not possible. I would add not having some down time in your schedule. It's important to relax a bit each day. I don't think everyone realizes that a trip to Disney can be taxing on the body.

making reservations for hotels/travel/ADR's etc. and not DOUBLE CHECKING them to make sure teh dates and times are correct...not that I have EVER done that...cough, cough!:lmao:

Too many ADR's......then trying to make all of them....We have found we eat alot less in the heat and rather just scrounge around CS, if and when we're hungry. We rather have a picnic at the pool with groceries or something we picked up on property................Table service is awful for us, mediocre and over priced and too time consuming.........Short trips are a nuisance too.......no sooner get the hang of things and it's time to leave...we like trips now 9-12 nights....easier touring and alot more fun..

Trying to push your group too hard. Many seem to push their kids to the point of meltdown and then yell and scream at the kids for not "having fun". People don't seem to realize that kids are best when we try to stick as close to their home schedule as possible and realize that all that Disney has to offer can be overwhelming to the little ones.

Trying to do it all.

Not overplanning, because we do heavy planning for our trips - itineraries, park touring plans (even after more than 15 trips), ADRs, etc. make our trips successful. But we never try to do everything - whether it's attractions, shows, nighttime entertainment, etc. We include a fair amount of downtime in our plans.

Planning on going to evening EMH at the MK. We did that once and never, never, ever again! Now keep in mind we always go during the slow times. Early Dec. and sometimes Sept. Once the end of Jan. So I have been spoiled. The evening EMH at the MK was the most crowded and insane thing I have ever seen.

Thinking it is not a big deal to park hop for ADR's. Learned this the hard way. It is a hike, and when you are under time constraints it takes away the magic. It was over zealous planning on my part due to the dining plan and wanting to eat in EPCOT most of the time.

Unrealistic expectations.

Like going at Christmas/Thanksgiving/Spring Break without anticipating the crowds and wait times.

Or going in August and not preparing for the hot weather or crowds.

Or going during free dining and not making TS ressies, then complaining about not being able to walk in to le Cellier (and the crowds).

Or thinking that EMH will be an uncrowded, pleasant experience with no lines and plenty of time to do everything in the designated park.

Or buying tickets to MNSSHP or MVMCP expecting an uncrowded, pleasant experience with no lines etc.

That's why this board is so great -- a little research here and you get first-hand knowlege on what to expect.

Oh yea! It's tough to pull yourself out of bed when your technically on vacation. There are some days we don't get to the parks till 1130am. Got to work on that this year.

We do the same thing. I always say we are gonna be there for rope drop, we never made it yet.

Trying to push your group too hard. Many seem to push their kids to the point of meltdown and then yell and scream at the kids for not "having fun". People don't seem to realize that kids are best when we try to stick as close to their home schedule as possible and realize that all that Disney has to offer can be overwhelming to the little ones.

Definitely agree with this one. Don't push too much. If people are not having fun, do something else, have a snack, play in the fountains (kids), etc. You can't see it all so just see your musts and then have fun!

Not taking care of your feet. We have had trips where I couldn't walk because of the blisters. Moleskins are a lifesaver.

Sleeping in and not following a plan. Adds hours to your wait times!

Take at least one day off from the parks when you are going for more than 5 or 6 days. On our last trip, we had 7 days in the World and because our kids are teens, we thought we could do 6 Disney days and 1 Universal day. We were in the parks from RD every day until close, but took a 2 hr. break every day at our condo. We also did a MNSSHP after AK one day, so that was a really long day. By the 4th night, our feet hurt so badly (even DD13 who dances 20+ hrs. a week!) that we had to scrap DS on our 5th day (we had already been there a day earlier in the week) and have a pool and leisurely meal day. We also mini golfed at Winter Summerland and had a blast! It was one of our best days and we made up our DS day by going the day we were leaving (we drove) and just left later in the day. :banana:

Planning to have a "vacation of a lifetime" at Disney but not doing any research or planning and trying to do everything at the busiest times of the year! I have one friend who is going in June....hasn't made any reservations yet....and another taking their once in a lifetime Disney vacation at Christmas.

This might be unpopular with some people but I would never plan as much as I have read others on the DIS boards plan. When I'm on vacation, I like to relax. I would never be able to relax if every minute was planned out. If I have to pencil in bathroom breaks ahead of time, I would not find that the least bit enjoyable. :rotfl2:

I make a couple of ADRs but for everything else I like to just wing it. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter