Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

QOTD for Friday, 10/26: In "honor" of the appraoching storm, how does bad weather impact your healthy lifestyle. How can you change it, if necessary?
I live in NJ so I'm right in line to get the storm as it is now. I am hoping and praying that by some freak of nature occurrence, that it doesn't make landfall and just goes out to sea- proving all the weathermen wrong. Hugs to everyone else in the path!!
How does it impact my healthy lifestyle... Well- if we lose power, there is going to be some creative eating at my house. I'm going to stock up on apples & bananas since they don't need refrigeration and are still healthy. I think they will compliment my protein bars, PB & J sandwiches, or cold canned Spaghetti O's quite nicely, don't you? :rotfl2: Seriously- I'd love ideas for non perishables that aren't going to wreak havoc on my progress.

As far as exercise goes... if we have no power and we have 60 mph winds... I'm thinking my training runs this week might not happen. If we still have power, then I'll do Zumba on the Wii or the elliptical.

Good morning all! :goodvibes

Please be sure and PM your weigh in info to our lovely weightkeeper, Samantha! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the reminder!!

Bad weather doesn't impact my healthy lifestyle too much because I do most of my workouts at the community center. It's the dark, cold mornings that really do a number on my motivation. :sunny:

I am NOT looking forward to changing the clocks. :sad2:

We have all our coaches that we need to get us through the rest of the challenge.

10/26-11/1 CC/lisah0711
11/2-11/8 pjlla
11/9-11/16 belledreamer

Thank you to everyone who volunteered to fill in! :flower3:

I'll be back later to finish chatting -- today is Latin project day and the computer is being taken over by my Roman. We also have to do the toga draping and that takes awhile! :rotfl2:

Have a great day all!

Enjoy the project! DD took two years of Latin (all our school offers) and really loved it. Toga day was fun....as was her Julius Caesar costume!

Thanks for organizing us to get some "sub" coaches in place!

QOTD for Friday, 10/26: In "honor" of the appraoching storm, how does bad weather impact your healthy lifestyle. How can you change it, if necessary?
I live in NJ so I'm right in line to get the storm as it is now. I am hoping and praying that by some freak of nature occurrence, that it doesn't make landfall and just goes out to sea- proving all the weathermen wrong. Hugs to everyone else in the path!!
How does it impact my healthy lifestyle... Well- if we lose power, there is going to be some creative eating at my house. I'm going to stock up on apples & bananas since they don't need refrigeration and are still healthy. I think they will compliment my protein bars, PB & J sandwiches, or cold canned Spaghetti O's quite nicely, don't you? :rotfl2: Seriously- I'd love ideas for non perishables that aren't going to wreak havoc on my progress.

As far as exercise goes... if we have no power and we have 60 mph winds... I'm thinking my training runs this week might not happen. If we still have power, then I'll do Zumba on the Wii or the elliptical.

You can always do a circuit training at home. Tricep dips with a chair, step-ups, some free weights (using canned goods, gallon jugs, etc if you don't have weights), jumping rope, running stairs (if you have a staircase in your house). It may not be the same as a good training run, but better than nothing! And don't forget to keep your gas grill handy for after the storm passes but the power is out. You can cook all kinds of stuff on a grill! Including Spaghetti-Os! :lmao: Don't forget the NON-ELECTRIC can opener! :thumbsup2

Fingers crossed that this storm just heads East out to sea. I am not in-line to get much of it, but they are predicting 4-5 inches of rain and gusty winds for Monday and Tuesday. I would be happy to avoid that.

Okay.... third load of laundry is in the washer, two loads on the line. Twenty pounds of pork loin are "butchered" and in the freezer (two 2 lb. roasts, 2 packets of boneless chops, six boneless chops in the crockpot for tonight, and a big 5 pound roast ready to make pulled pork for the play rehearsal on Monday night). Phew!

I was going to vacuum, but it really needs it downstairs and DH has been on conference calls continuously this morning and I don't want to bother him. I'll wait a bit.

Off to make a bowtie for DS's Halloween costume. I thought I had a few more days, but he said he wants his costume done for tonight's school Halloween dance. He has everything else but the bowtie :groom:. I couldn't find one at the thrift stores I checked and I refuse to pay full price at Macy's for a "real" one, so I need to get creative! I made him one for something in Kindergarten and it came out well.... just need to remember what I did and repeat it, :scratchin only larger!

The pancakes were delish! I will post the recipe next, but let you know about my "tweaks"! ...........................P

(Recipe courtesy of the Dr. Oz website, with cookbook credits at the bottom.)

Cinnamon Toast Pancakes

Ingredients

Batter
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1/4 cup bulk sugar substitute
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Cinnamon Sprinkle
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp bulk sugar substitute
Butter (may use light, trans-fat free buttery spread)
Fresh blueberries or strawberries, for garnish

Directions
Grease a griddle or large skillet with vegetable oil spray and heat over medium-high heat.

Mix all the batter ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon until well blended.

Pour approximately 16 mini-cakes onto the hot griddle, and cook on the first side for 3 to 4 minutes until almost done, and then flip and cook for just another minute or so to finish. You may need to do this in 2 to 3 batches (as we use a very large electric griddle).

Combine the cinnamon and sugar substitute and sprinkle over the hot cakes before serving. If desired, top with a pat of melted butter or fat-free margarine and garnish with fresh berries.

Nutrition Facts
160 calories
11 g fat
7 g protein
4 g fiber
4 g net carbs

Recipe by George Stella, from the book George Stella’s Still Livin' Low Carb; A lifetime of Low Carb Recipes. For more information, go to http://stellastyle.com.

My "tweaks".....

I used 4 egg whites instead of 2 whole eggs to save some fat. I made it the first time using the almond flour, but the second time I used half almond flour and half coconut flour and thought it tasted better.

I grind my own flaxseed and found that a finer grind gave a more "real" pancake texture.

I found that they needed a bit more water than what is called for to be pourable. The first time I thought that they thickened up because I let the batter sit for a bit before cooking, but I made it and used it immediately today and it was still too thick to pour. I added about another 1/4 C of water to make them pourable.

I used liquid stevia to sweeten.

I added cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg to the batter....YUM.

For topping..... I gave DH a small dish of cinnamon butter made with real butter, liquid stevia, and cinnamon. He really enjoyed that.

For myself today I took a tablespoon of Polaner all-fruit spread (blueberry) and warmed it and thinned it with a bit of water and used that as my "syrup". It was DELIGHTFUL! I used the Polaner because it was the most reasonable sugar/carb count and calorie count without having artificial sweetener. Last time I topped them with a bit of Sunbutter spread.... that was tasty too. I was a bit surprised that the Dr. Oz website would condone something like "fat-free margarine". Try the real butter or the fruit spread or even a bit of real syrup for a healthy treat!

ENJOY!

Thanks for the suggestions about what we lovingly call "my cracks" Haaa .. since I used the Meleluca stuff it's quite under control.. Winter is always the worst and when I scrapbook it drys my fingertips out quite a bit.. I never had any trouble until about 4 years ago - I think I was developing my diabetes around that time and attribute it to that break down in my system I did see a determo. for a while but putting creams/oils on my hands anytime of day seems sooo inconvienent.. when i get a flare up I do however suck it up.. (thankfully it's not that often now) right now there is one finger tip (my middle Haaa) and knuckle on the left hand that is cracky but everyplace else is good hand wise.. now my feet! my heals are always bad.. I have to use a file about every 2 weeks but they don't hurt or bleed just gross cracky dry skin.. TMI sorry!

well I am leaving work for the day hope you all have FANTASTIC weekend.. ME I am going to visit my DD at college - haven't seen her in about 3 weeks! miss that girl like crazy! I'll be back on Monday - waiting out the storm like all the rest of us east coasters! Ps I have a gas stove and can use my cold water when there is no power so other then candles to see by we don't alter too much - we buy ice and use a cooler so we don't have to open up the fridge/freeze and call it good..

Update on DS16:

Still waiting for the MRI, we have that today at 5.

But, coach called DS into his classroom today during D channel. He wants DS16 to run States this weekend. DS texted me and he asked what I think he should do. I told DS that no one knows his body like he does so I left it up to him to decide. He is pretty much at a level 5-7 for pain all day long with walking around campus. So he told coach he wasn't comfortable running right now. I think the fear of the unknown is getting to him. Coach said the right thing though, Coach said it wasn't worth hurting himself more.
I feel so bad for him though. He wanted to go to states so bad, and knowing he wouldn't be in the lead pack was ok, because he would gain some much needed mental experience and be prepared for next year. hopefully he will still get his letter since he was in all but 1 varsity race, but this stinks.

We will count our blessings though, he has run 7 years without the slightest injury. I just hope this turns out to be nothing. He really wants to do indoor again, but that starts 11/26.

I will update as soon as I hear more. I hope the DR calls me tonight. The office is closed by the time we leave the MRI.

kollerbear said:
Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 6

MAINTAINERS (i.e. participants staying within 2 lbs of their goal weight):

Maintainers Reporting In & Successfully Maintaining-----2
Congratulations myweegirls (Liz) and princessbride6205 (Nicole)!!!

LOSERS:

THE WISH BIGGEST LOSER FALL CHALLENGE! WEEK 6 SUPERSTARS!!

Now let's get to the good stuff. Who were our superstars of week 6?

#10 (tie) - 0.98% - Disneyfn420 (Leslie) and MelindaRuns (Melinda)
#9 - 0.99% - dvccruiser (Sue)
#8 - 1.06% - mommyof2Pirates (Lindsay)
#7 - 1.09% - DorkyDisneyMom (Mary)
#6 - 1.10% - pjlla (Pamela)
#5 - 1.19% - Mary Poppins (Fran)
#4 - 1.28% - Mom2aJessieGirl (Christy)
#3 - 1.41% - jillbur (Jill)
#2 - 1.95% - DoomBuggieDriver (Kathy)

and now

The WISH Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 6 Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 2.01% - jbm02 (Jude)

Congratulations!!!

What a great week you had. Keep up the good work. We have a very special clippie reserved for our weekly Biggest Loser. Wear it with pride this week!

Now a look at our CHALLENGE TO DATE LEADER BOARD after 6 weeks!

#10 - 4.76% - rubybpc (Ruby)
#9 - 5.14% - Mom2aJessieGirl (Christy)
#8 - 5.15% - shinysparklybubbles (Rebekah)
#7 - 5.23% - Flossbolna (Magdalene)
#6 - 5.28% - bellaally (Alexandra)
#5 - 5.63% - DoomBuggieDriver (Kathy)
#4 - 6.15% - 6ofus2 (Robbie)
#3 - 6.30% - slriver (Tracy)
#2 - 6.35% - jbm02 (Jude)
#1 - 6.61% - disneymom2one (MB)

THIS WEEK'S NON-SCALE VICTORIES!!

Myweegirls (Liz) ran her first official 5K last Saturday and won her age division! Then she ran 6.5 miles this weekend, her longest distance since the ToT 10-miler.

CClovesdis (CC) logged her food for the entire week and hasn't binged in over 2 weeks!

Christinascreative (Christina) bought a size 10 dress (down from a size 16 in May), and she also had her insulin resistance meds reduced--doctor said she should be off of it in January if she keeps it up!

Elleherself (Elle) has been in boot camp for two weeks and has not missed a single class!

Indygirl99 ran with her Galloway running group for the first time and met some new Disney friends and a DISboard friend!

Melissahac99 (Melissa) ran 5.79 miles in 58 minutes this week which was a personal best in speed and distance! She is also diligently tracking in My Fitness Pal.

Thanks everyone and keep up the great work! Sorry if I do not respond this week--I'm trying to spend time with my family--but I wanted to let you know that I'm cheering you all on and am so grateful for your support and camaraderie!

Yay! Congrats to everyone and keep it up!

cclovesdis said:
QOTD for Thursday, 10/25: Chicken is often a staple in a healthy lifestyle. What is your favorite way to prepare it?

I love chicken cacciatiore especially with broccoli, peppers, and onions.

Ugh. Chicken. I used to make grilled or baked chicken a lot. But, I am having a problem with raw chicken right now. I bought some awhile ago & it just started grossing me out. But, I made baked chicken anyhow. When I went to eat dinner, I couldn't do it. I don't know what it is, but that was about 8 months ago & I still cannot be near raw chicken! I'm going to try a recipe in the crockpot this weekend (although not healthy at all-a request from DH) but I don't know if I'll be able to do it. I can eat chicken out, though. So I preferred grilled on salads. Especially with strawberries or an Asian dressing. So, I can eat chicken as long as I don't have to see it raw or cook it myself lol.

cclovesdis said:
I'll coach through Sunday.

Have a great, OP day tomorrow!

I continue going to the gym when I can. I do not like running in the cold. I'm going to try more this winter, but I just don't like the cold in general. I was never a go out & play in the snow type, so I have a hard time motivating myself to run in it! And we can get some bad weather off Lake Erie (snow belt). Our forecasts are usually 2-12 inches. That usually means 0-18. I prefer 0 :)

mskayjay said:
I have fallen way off track the last week or so. Not happy with myself but *absolutely* NOT giving up on this. I will reset and regroup. Send some good vibes my way folks.....

It's okay! Keep up the positivity & get back on track.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am lacking motivation today. It's just one of those days. I walked for 30 minutes during my lunch break, but it wasn't a hard workout. I know I should go out & bag all the leaves I raked yesterday and conquer the mounds of dirty clothes piling up in my basement, but I'm sitting on the couch on the dis instead :)

I feel like our house is getting cluttered right now & I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. The weather has been gorgeous, so we've been enjoying it instead of cleaning. And now DH will be working/sleeping all weekend. So, I'm on my own on this one. I guess I better find that motivation I lost! Or, I can have a cleaning party & you're all invited lol!

Okay, time to get my butt off the couch! I'll check in later.

Jill

Going to catch up in small posts...trying not to see the Poof Fairy. :rolleyes1

Hopefully you will figure out your hungries!

If you don't get a new blind, check out Lowe's or Home Depot for a roller shade. Remarkably effective and inexpensive...and you can decorate them with fabric and ribbon.

Btw, what do you use on your hands?

I've been slowly starting to buy gifts as I have coupons and see sales. I also need to get in gear finishing a cross stitch for my cousin. I should be even smarter and start wrapping as I buy!

Great question!

I've never heard of a roller shade. I assume it is the same thing we have had before and I never knew its name. :rotfl:

The lotion is called Vanicream. I love it.

Good for you for shopping early! I've been doing that myself. My CVS visits have yielded a year's supply of body wash for my sister and probably 6 months of shampoo for my sister, mother, and me. ;)

Great job CC! I hope you week is easy peasy with all that prepping!

Love the phrase "easy peasy"! A teacher I knew would say it all the time when she was teaching rhyming.

Prepping was a big time save this week!

just wanted to mention that I read along daily even if I don't post. Sometimes I only have a few minutes here & there. And, a friend and I decided to take a few online classes. Nothing major, just hours toward our teaching certificates. The classes are free, but we have a 2 hour video to watch in each class (6 classes total) and a few small assignments for each. We have until Dec 7 to finish, but I'm trying to get it done sooner than later. So, I'll be spending a lot of time trying to complete these classes. I may not posting as much as I would like, but I'm still following along :)

Enjoy! I love the fact that you can break up the videos! :goodvibes

Probably sleep. I do love sleeping, except I usually pay for it later when I toss and turn all night. :rolleyes: Other than that, I'd probably surf Youtube or write if I'm feeling inspired.

Love sleep too!

I personally don't celebrate Christmas, but working at a grocery store, things get pretty chaotic for us this time of year. That being said, I plan on taking a few minutes each day to clear my head; no tv, no phone, no computer, just to enjoy the silence.

Didn't someone once say "Silence is golden"? :thumbsup2

Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 6

THE WISH BIGGEST LOSER FALL CHALLENGE! WEEK 6 SUPERSTARS!!

Disclaimer: I am human and I make mistakes. If you have any questions please contact me. For your reference the weight lost formula is = loss for the week divided by last week's weight times 100.

Now let's get to the good stuff. Who were our superstars of week 6?

#10 (tie) - 0.98% - Disneyfn420 (Leslie) and MelindaRuns (Melinda)
#9 - 0.99% - dvccruiser (Sue)
#8 - 1.06% - mommyof2Pirates (Lindsay)
#7 - 1.09% - DorkyDisneyMom (Mary)
#6 - 1.10% - pjlla (Pamela)
#5 - 1.19% - Mary Poppins (Fran)
#4 - 1.28% - Mom2aJessieGirl (Christy)
#3 - 1.41% - jillbur (Jill)
#2 - 1.95% - DoomBuggieDriver (Kathy)

and now

The WISH Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 6 Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 2.01% - jbm02 (Jude)

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Congrats to all our BLs, especially Jude, our maintainers, and those with NSVs!

May I just say.... I am LOVING the new NSV list! I am finding it so very inspiring! Thanks to EVERYONE for contributing and sharing your "woohoos"!

Same here! :)

This year, I'm going to plan ahead for all the treats I KNOW I'm gonna eat. There's always extra treats around work (not the house though, fortunately!), some even provided by me! I know I will be invited to dinners and potlucks and parties, and a big part of what happens to me is the guilt spiral- I eat too much, feel bad and think "I may as well polish off the rest" and gorge myself on leftover Christmas cookies. Not this year!! Not feeling guilty about my (smaller) portion of cheese ball, cookies, and whatever else may be in front of me will definitely help reduce my stress!

Great plan! :thumbsup2

QOTD for Wednesday, Oct. 24th: For those who celebrate, it is 2 months until Christmas Eve. What is one thing you can do this week to help reduce the common stress of this time of the year?

I'm starting early. I love Christmas so I'm going to decorate early (really early) and I will finish my shopping on black friday. Also i made a budget that I'm sticking to this year and not going crazy. Then I would like to try out some new dishes that are healthier and since my decorating and shopping is done I will have the time to do it. :)

Sounds great too! :thumbsup2

Just wanted to post 2 things real quick.

1- DS16 is having an MRI Friday at 5 for his leg.

2 - Today is my one year anniversary of quitting soda cold turkey!!! :cool1:

Hope the MRI brings helpful news.

:yay: for giving up soda!

I'm on my IPad and I STILL have not figured out how to cut and copy and paste on this thing.

We have one. I personally dread when I have to use it. I’ll take a keyboard any day. You rock! :cheer2:

So part of the afternoon was spent feeling sorry for myself...but I did harness that energy to get another application filled out and went to the gym where I burned almost 300 calories! There will be no pity eating here!

:yay::yay::yay:

YAY, EVERYONE!!!!!!! :cheer2:
:cool1::cool1::cool1: is it inappropriate to celebrate??! omg , so so excited!!! :dancer:party: this is the first challenge that I've really seen progress like this. I'm trying to do everything 'right' - journalling, exercising, eating right - but I've done that before and haven't seen this. I'm not sure whether my body finally decided to 'get it' but either way, not giving up now!! bring on the next 10 pounds!!!

You are doing awesomely! (Spell check likes this. Hmm. I thought I made it up.) WTG! :cheer2:

I love baked chicken with roasted root vegetables: carrots, potatoes, onion and parsnips. I season the chicken breast with just bit of salt and fines herbes and a little olive oil. Yum! :goodvibes

Sounds good! :cool1: I keep meaning to try parsnips.

I've made a couple eggplant stews and curries in the past few months and this one is by far my favorite.

Eggplant in stew is a great idea! :idea:

So I have big news!! Well, big for me- my mom and I just registered for the Royal Family 5K in February!!!! Whoo!! :cool1::yay::cheer2:I can't wait!! Who else is going from the thread?!

Cool! :cool1:

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I have eczema on my hands and feet - it makes my hand in the winter crack and are quite painful.. I found that Melaluca renew lotion and bodywash keep it at bay - what type of lotion is it?? might have to give it a try since the meleuca is expensive.. So glad you found something that works!

Vanicream is about $15 for 16 oz. I’ve never heard of Melaluca. I’m allergic to oats, so a lot of the usual eczema products are a no-go for me. I’ll look for this and check the ingredients. Might be worth a try!

QotD --- Well I am going to try and get all my shopping wrapping and tagging done the week after Thanksgiving since I'm on "anniversary vacation" (hubs and I take off our anniversary week every year) with any luck it'll work out.. then I just have baking to do -- LOTS of it -- but I love it so it's all good.

Nice plan! :thumbsup2

I have fallen way off track the last week or so. Not happy with myself but *absolutely* NOT giving up on this. I will reset and regroup. Send some good vibes my way folks.....

:goodvibes and pixiedust:

Also can't beat a good piece of grilled marinated chicken on top of a nice fresh salad!

Yum!

Prayers for your appointment.

Thanks! (It was actually a disaster, but blood was drawn and I should have the results early next week.)

As far as the QOTD..... I don't get as much "housework exercise" during the winter. No yard work, no hanging laundry outside, no gardening, no housepainting, that type of thing.

If I have a walk/run scheduled and it is raining lightly, I don't let it stop me. But pouring rain and gusty winds... I'll stay inside, thank you! :thumbsup2 And snow??? SO NO HAPPENING! It's the treadmill for me in the winter!

Raking is outstanding exercise! :thumbsup2

Snow :rolleyes1

Bad weather doesn't impact my healthy lifestyle too much because I do most of my workouts at the community center. It's the dark, cold mornings that really do a number on my motivation. :sunny:

I love going to the gym in the winter! :) I actually think there are less people there then. :confused3

Seriously- I'd love ideas for non perishables that aren't going to wreak havoc on my progress.

Soup
Peanut butter/almond butter
Tuna fish
P gave you lots of great ideas!

You can always do a circuit training at home. Tricep dips with a chair, step-ups, some free weights (using canned goods, gallon jugs, etc if you don't have weights), jumping rope, running stairs (if you have a staircase in your house). It may not be the same as a good training run, but better than nothing! And don't forget to keep your gas grill handy for after the storm passes but the power is out. You can cook all kinds of stuff on a grill! Including Spaghetti-Os! :lmao: Don't forget the NON-ELECTRIC can opener! :thumbsup2

Thanks!

(Recipe courtesy of the Dr. Oz website, with cookbook credits at the bottom.)

Cinnamon Toast Pancakes

Thanks!

ME I am going to visit my DD at college - haven't seen her in about 3 weeks! miss that girl like crazy!

Enjoy your time with DD! :)

I will update as soon as I hear more. I hope the DR calls me tonight. The office is closed by the time we leave the MRI.

:goodvibes

Ugh. Chicken. I used to make grilled or baked chicken a lot. But, I am having a problem with raw chicken right now. I bought some awhile ago & it just started grossing me out. But, I made baked chicken anyhow. When I went to eat dinner, I couldn't do it. I don't know what it is, but that was about 8 months ago & I still cannot be near raw chicken! I'm going to try a recipe in the crockpot this weekend (although not healthy at all-a request from DH) but I don't know if I'll be able to do it. I can eat chicken out, though. So I preferred grilled on salads. Especially with strawberries or an Asian dressing. So, I can eat chicken as long as I don't have to see it raw or cook it myself

Raw chicken isn’t my thing either. :sick:

Chicken on salad is always a winner in my book! :thumbsup2

Update on DS16:

But, coach called DS into his classroom today during D channel. He wants DS16 to run States this weekend. DS texted me and he asked what I think he should do. I told DS that no one knows his body like he does so I left it up to him to decide. He is pretty much at a level 5-7 for pain all day long with walking around campus. So he told coach he wasn't comfortable running right now. I think the fear of the unknown is getting to him. Coach said the right thing though, Coach said it wasn't worth hurting himself more.
I feel so bad for him though. He wanted to go to states so bad, and knowing he wouldn't be in the lead pack was ok, because he would gain some much needed mental experience and be prepared for next year. hopefully he will still get his letter since he was in all but 1 varsity race, but this stinks.

We will count our blessings though, he has run 7 years without the slightest injury. I just hope this turns out to be nothing. He really wants to do indoor again, but that starts 11/26.

:hug: Hope the MRI will show the issue and that he can begin working towards being pain free!

So we were told 20-30 minutes for the MRI, it took an hour. I swear she scanned every millimeter of his leg. I still don't know the results though, the Tech said maybe Monday. I hope not!!
I had to go to the Dr's office on the way to the hospital to get the requisition forms and I was proactive. I gave the front office my cell number, and said if there was a fracture to go ahead and call the ortho and set up a referral, and gave them their name and number. Hopefully that step will save us some time.

DS16 took a nap while he was in the tube, LOL. I, on the other hand, was a nervous wreck and got a head ache from the buzzing noise the machine makes. Why do we, as mom's, always think the worst is going to happen to our babies?!?!?
I just want an answer so I can make the next step happen.

It pretty much shuts it down for me. But I suppose the debris cleanup afterward counts. ;)

Seriously- I'd love ideas for non perishables that aren't going to wreak havoc on my progress.

Oh no! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts! Stay safe! :grouphug:

After just going through a Cat 1, I know they're no fun at all... Eating was never an issue for us though; we had a generator with plenty of fuel and dad grilled alot. While other people were eating SPAM and crackers, we were having steak! The morning before we got power back, we had actually had made pancakes on our plug-in griddle. We also have a small propane camp stove that we made really good use of.

No advice for non-perishable food though. I don't handle being without power really well (even though we had a generator) and when we lost power, I lost my appetite. That was part of the reason I lost five lbs in two days; every time I tried to eat, I couldn't get further than a couple of bites...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry about being MIA for the past while. Been super busy. I spent most of Thursday cleaning house for my Dgrandpa which has been an experience in itself. Grandpa was never one for cleaning. But I got all the housework done, plus the laundry and ran errands with him before going to lunch which was really nice.

In the meantime, the weather's really cooled down which is really nice, (I hope it's this cool in Disney!) but it is totally reeking havoc on my hands. I used to take Accutane for my severe acne and while it did wipe it out, every time the weather cools down, my hands dry out and turn red, leading to several days during the winter of Ddad coating my hands in Vaseline and wrapping them in plastic wrap. Yes it's as fun as it sounds. :rolleyes2 So I may be breaking out my fingerless gloves for Disney. Oh well.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Update on DS16:

SO sorry for all of this. I imagine it is really hard for him. But that was the MATURE decision he made. Give him an "attaboy" for me!

Yay! Congrats to everyone and keep it up!

Ugh. Chicken. I used to make grilled or baked chicken a lot. But, I am having a problem with raw chicken right now. I bought some awhile ago & it just started grossing me out. But, I made baked chicken anyhow. When I went to eat dinner, I couldn't do it. I don't know what it is, but that was about 8 months ago & I still cannot be near raw chicken! I'm going to try a recipe in the crockpot this weekend (although not healthy at all-a request from DH) but I don't know if I'll be able to do it. I can eat chicken out, though. So I preferred grilled on salads. Especially with strawberries or an Asian dressing. So, I can eat chicken as long as I don't have to see it raw or cook it myself lol.

I guess I would stick to buying rotisserie chickens if I were you!:thumbsup2

I am lacking motivation today. It's just one of those days. I walked for 30 minutes during my lunch break, but it wasn't a hard workout. I know I should go out & bag all the leaves I raked yesterday and conquer the mounds of dirty clothes piling up in my basement, but I'm sitting on the couch on the dis instead :)

I know the feeling!;)

I feel like our house is getting cluttered right now & I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. The weather has been gorgeous, so we've been enjoying it instead of cleaning. And now DH will be working/sleeping all weekend. So, I'm on my own on this one. I guess I better find that motivation I lost! Or, I can have a cleaning party & you're all invited lol!

Okay, time to get my butt off the couch! I'll check in later.

Jill

I can totally relate to the overwhelmed feeling. And I certainly don't have your schedule. Sometimes there seems like SO MUCH to do, I don't even know where to start and so I don't do ANYTHING!

Set a timer and spend just 10 minutes in each room (including the laundry room). When you are done with that, go enjoy the weekend!

I've never heard of a roller shade. I assume it is the same thing we have had before and I never knew its name. :rotfl:

Just your most basic window shade that rolls up. You can get them for about $5-$7 at Home Depot and Lowe's and they will cut them to size for you. Just be very precise with your measurements.

The lotion is called Vanicream. I love it.

DS used that and Cerave when he was having skin troubles. They are nice for dry skin, but didn't do much healing.

Good for you for shopping early! I've been doing that myself. My CVS visits have yielded a year's supply of body wash for my sister and probably 6 months of shampoo for my sister, mother, and me. ;)

I would LOVE to get 6 months worth of shampoo for Christmas!! DH always puts my favorite Oil of Olay products in my stocking. They are a bit pricey and I always hesitate to buy them for myself, so it is a nice but practical treat!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Congrats to all our BLs, especially Jude, our maintainers, and those with NSVs!

So we were told 20-30 minutes for the MRI, it took an hour. I swear she scanned every millimeter of his leg. I still don't know the results though, the Tech said maybe Monday. I hope not!!
I had to go to the Dr's office on the way to the hospital to get the requisition forms and I was proactive. I gave the front office my cell number, and said if there was a fracture to go ahead and call the ortho and set up a referral, and gave them their name and number. Hopefully that step will save us some time.

DS16 took a nap while he was in the tube, LOL. I, on the other hand, was a nervous wreck and got a head ache from the buzzing noise the machine makes. Why do we, as mom's, always think the worst is going to happen to our babies?!?!?
I just want an answer so I can make the next step happen.

Just as well that they checked it thoroughly. No sense in having to schedule another MRI or other test. Glad he was able to relax enough to nap!

I am totally not a worrier, except when it comes to my kids. Then I can get a little nutty! But don't forget, the day you brought that baby into this world, you immediately had a fragile piece of your heart walking around outside.

After just going through a Cat 1, I know they're no fun at all... Eating was never an issue for us though; we had a generator with plenty of fuel and dad grilled alot. While other people were eating SPAM and crackers, we were having steak! The morning before we got power back, we had actually had made pancakes on our plug-in griddle. We also have a small propane camp stove that we made really good use of.

No advice for non-perishable food though. I don't handle being without power really well (even though we had a generator) and when we lost power, I lost my appetite. That was part of the reason I lost five lbs in two days; every time I tried to eat, I couldn't get further than a couple of bites...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry about being MIA for the past while. Been super busy. I spent most of Thursday cleaning house for my Dgrandpa which has been an experience in itself. Grandpa was never one for cleaning. But I got all the housework done, plus the laundry and ran errands with him before going to lunch which was really nice.

In the meantime, the weather's really cooled down which is really nice, (I hope it's this cool in Disney!) but it is totally reeking havoc on my hands. I used to take Accutane for my severe acne and while it did wipe it out, every time the weather cools down, my hands dry out and turn red, leading to several days during the winter of Ddad coating my hands in Vaseline and wrapping them in plastic wrap. Yes it's as fun as it sounds. :rolleyes2 So I may be breaking out my fingerless gloves for Disney. Oh well.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Nice of you to be helping Grandpa. I'm sure even thought it is some work, it is a nice bonding time for you both. I had a SUPER WONDERFUL Grampa and I truly miss him every day. He has been gone for nearly 17 years and it breaks my heart that my kids (especially DS) never got to know him. Enjoy every moment with your Grandpa.

Do you use the Vaseline at night? I used to coat my hands with Vaseline and sleep with gloves on when they got really dry. I am thinking of switching to using coconut oil. I "gave up" Vaseline a few years ago when I realized it was a petroleum product, just like the gas I put in my car! I am totally addicted to lip balm and I had to totally switch from Chapstick to Burt's Bee's to avoid the petroleum.

Morning all! DD is off to her ACT tests and DS is off to a Robotics event. I will pick up DD at 12:15 and we will go straight to the afternoon of swim.

Last night was SO DIFFICULT for DD. This swim event is being organized/run by her new swim team but it is at her old YMCA. It was a "TigerSharks Invitational" for all of the years she was a TigerShark, but when the team collapsed earlier this season with this already on the NHSA schedule, another Y team stepped up to host. So there she is, at her old Y home, but without her coaches and friends. And she is really struggling to make new friends on this team and was feeling TOTALLY alone last night. In typical fashion, the existing girls on the new team are totally clicky and she is not feeling very welcome. And the one close friend who had also moved to this team seems to be going through something we can't figure out right now and is TOTALLY ignoring DD, to the point of absolute rudeness. We are trying hard to cut her some slack and be understanding, but she is absolutely giving DD the cold shoulder. We are baffled.

Anyhow, a few adults members of our old TigerSharks group were there to help out last night, to show the members of this other team how to set up the timing system and computer system and such and it was a bit like a reunion.... but that almost made it harder for DD. We went out for a quick bite and such with some of our old friends and it was nice to spend a bit of time chatting, but DD cried the entire ride home. I know it was partly exhaustion and stress, but she is absolutely convinced she made the wrong decision about this swim team. She said she KNEW that at some point she might feel that way, but she didn't realize she would feel it so strongly. It absolutely broke my heart because there isn't anything I can do.... nothing, nada, zip, zero, nothing. I told her she can changes teams, but she isn't sure that is the right thing to do either. She needs to decide if she is just going to forget about the fun/social aspect of this season and just do it for the swim.... but she kept reminding me that "this isn't the way Senior year was supposed to go." :sad1: "I know honey.... I know." :hug:

Huge flock of turkey in our yard when I returned from dropping off DD this morning. I know hunting season starts soon.... guess they better find a good place to start hiding! :rotfl: They were HUGE and seemed to be enjoying the fruit from our flowering crab trees.

Off to make a few cards. Today is my Dad's birthday and we celebrated last weekend, but I want to send him a "thinking of you" kind of card, as he continues through his radiation. Plus they discovered some issues with a kidney, so he goes into the hospital Monday to have some treatments for that.

TTYL.........................P

Family is all up and ready for GiGi 6K this morning!! Wish us luck as the kids are all dying that I made them get up to walk 6K this morning!!!

QOTD for Sat. 10/27 & Sun. 10/28: What is your favorite part about fall?

I love pumpkin! The temperature right now is really comfortable too.

Family is all up and ready for GiGi 6K this morning!! Wish us luck as the kids are all dying that I made them get up to walk 6K this morning!!!

Have a great time together!!

I love the weather and the pretty leaves, but I hate what FOLLOWS Fall, so I'm generally not a big fan. I guess my favorite part would be FRESH APPLES! Love a good crisp apple, straight from the tree! And the smell of a nice wood fire burning.

Did a bit around the house, got myself ready to go, got DD's swim stuff packed up for today. Just need to pack lunches for us and I will be out the door to pick her up from her test and go straight to the swim meet.

Probably won't be on tonight, as we are planning a family evening to have dinner and watch this past week's Survivor together, as we haven't seen it yet.

I'll pop on in the a.m...........................P

Busy day here. My sister came over and we went shopping. She realized that she had some sale to catch at CVS so we also got flu shots while were there. I had a hunch her insurance covered it, but the APRN at the Minute Clinic there said mine does too! Sweet! :yay:

My brother-in-law came later and we just finished family dinner. We are trying to use as much as we can from the freezer just in case we lose power, which meant chicken in sauce. My father spent all afternoon turning frozen tomatoes from our garden into sauce. Delicious!

Some replies:

Any news on DS Buffy? :goodvibes

It pretty much shuts it down for me. But I suppose the debris cleanup afterward counts. ;)

:thumbsup2 So does all the cleaning you did for your grandfather! :cheer2:

Last night was SO DIFFICULT for DD.

Send her a :hug: from me. :hug: to you too. :goodvibes

:goodvibes and pixiedust:

I love the weather and the pretty leaves, but I hate what FOLLOWS Fall, so I'm generally not a big fan. I guess my favorite part would be FRESH APPLES! Love a good crisp apple, straight from the tree! And the smell of a nice wood fire burning.

Love apples! :cool1:

cclovesdis said:

I love pumpkin! The temperature right now is really comfortable too.

I love fall! I love when the leaves change and I love all things pumpkin. The bad part is most things I love that are pumpkin flavored are NOT healthy-pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin roll, Panera's pumpkin muffin & pumpkin pie bagel, Dunkin Donuts pumpkin coffee & pumpkin donuts, ahhhh...the list goes on & on :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pamela~so sorry that DD was upset. She's so right-her senior year shouldn't be like this. I hope it gets better. How was the meet?

Not too busy here on the dis lately. I went to DNephew's District cross country meet today. Warning: proud aunt bragging coming! It was a rainy mess! His school was with the last group to run & they placed second (missed first by one point!). So, they are off to states next week (in Hershey)! I was so excited for him even though his time was slower due to the sloppy course. He placed 26th overall and his time was 18:23 (they run a 5k). I think his time last week was 17:46. I hope Hershey isn't a washout from Sandy! I really want to go & Dsis said we can ride with her & room with her (she got a 1 bedroom suite), but I'm not sure what I'm doing yet.

The dog went to the groomer today & she is white again! Too bad it's so rainy that she'll probably be brown by tomorrow :( But she came home smelling good & wearing a Halloween bandana.

I caught up on laundry and cleaned a little all over. I also made Rachel Ray's stuffed pepper stoup. It's yummy! I found it on her website. It uses orzo pasta instead of rice to thicken it up a little. Even DSs ate it!!

Well, I'm off to get ready for some good sleep. I know, Saturday night & I'm going to bed this early! I haven't slept good all week, so I am trying to get at least 8 hours tonight. We have a 9:00 meeting at church before Sunday school, so I'll be up early. And, since I wake up at 6 am everyday for work, my body feels like that's what time I need to wake up on the weekend :(

Oh, completely off topic but, will anyone be going to Legoland before December 31? If so, let me know. I have a coupon for a free child's admission with a paying adult. DSs are trying to convince me that we haaaaaave to go, but it's not happening lol. I thought I offer it to my BL friends before I post it on the Budget Board.

I'll be back tomorrow to check in. Have a good night & stay dry!

Jill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter