• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bigger kid (medical need) + baby stroller help

tmfranlk

Love hanging at the World with my sweet girls.
I'm hoping this forum can give me a different perspective on my question to hopefully settle it in my mind finally.

Travelling party : Me (sole adult), DD8 1/2 and DD 15months
Issue: DD8 has ligament problems that cause a lot of foot pain when she walks too much. For example, a 4 hour trip to the zoo is about her max. After that, they start hurting. With stroller breaks she can make it a few more hours. After recent zoo trips and day camps, I am certain that she'll struggle to make it through one full park day let alone the full trip.

The options that I can think of:

1. Rent a Disney double stroller
Pro: Both girls can ride
Con: COST!, don't have a stroller for 15mo to and from the resort
(I would probably take my Maclaren single from home for use at the airport and on DTD days/just around the resort.)
2. Rent a double stroller from outside company (DD8 is just under the weight for these by my research)
Pro: Better cost, much more comfortable for 15mo
Con: I'd have to get a double stroller, backpack, and 15mo (most likely sleeping) on and off the bus by myself. I did this once when the older one was 13mo and my DSis was 8yo with a single Maclaren successfully, but the double jogger is a whole other story.
3. Buy a stroller and either keep or donate it
Pro: Possibly cheaper
Con: What would I get? Would the buses be any easier?

Am I missing any other possibilities? Am I just better sucking it up and going for renting the Disney double? Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

I have a 7 1/2 year old that still needs a stroller. She can walk for a bit, but has braces on both legs so after a couple hours, she's riding. I also have 2 smaller kiddies, one being 17 mo.

I have a Joovy sit & stand. It's perfect. The baby sits in front, my DD in back and my DS 4 walks. Love it. It's been totally worth the money since I need it regulary (we use it for walking to/from school as well.)

I'd look into investing in something you can use at the resort as well since she might be really tired by the end of the day and I know, it's hard to carry around a big kid while pushing the baby!;)

Plus, the cost of renting the double is a good chunk of a new stroller.:teacher:

Thanks!
What combined weight do you put in it usually? Since your DD is older too is height an issue?
Is it easy enough to push? How about folded up size? I'm sure it's got to be smaller than the City doubles at least!

Looks like I could get one for about $140 shipped which is easily $100 less than I'll spend on a Disney rental. Also only about $30-40 more than I'd spend for an off site rental. We'd almost certainly use it at home too for DDs, plus I babysit so could use it from time to time with others as well.

I second the "buy a stroller and bring it with you" option.

Can your DD handle either the backpack or the child while you get off and on the bus so you don't have to juggle so much? Could she hold onto the stroller on the bus to leave your hands free to hold your younger child?

I know that at Stroller Rental if you have an walker or wheelchair and will be renting an ECV, they will store your walker or chair. I just checked with MK Stroller Rentals and they said they will store a personal stroller if a person rents a stroller or wheelchair.

I second the "buy a stroller and bring it with you" option.

Can your DD handle either the backpack or the child while you get off and on the bus so you don't have to juggle so much? Could she hold onto the stroller on the bus to leave your hands free to hold your younger child?

Yeah, DD can do the backpack. When we traveled when DD was 14mo and my sister was 8, it was easy enough for DSis to carry anything extra on and me get the younger one and stroller. Also, I have a hip carrier that the younger one will be in so I'll have that added support and help for her weight (which is by no means small - she's 20lbs already at 9 months).

I know that at Stroller Rental if you have an walker or wheelchair and will be renting an ECV, they will store your walker or chair. I just checked with MK Stroller Rentals and they said they will store a personal stroller if a person rents a stroller or wheelchair.

Thanks for checking on that! I had actually thought about the same thing, but hadn't thought to call and ask yet.

Thanks!
What combined weight do you put in it usually? Since your DD is older too is height an issue?
Is it easy enough to push? How about folded up size? I'm sure it's got to be smaller than the City doubles at least!

Looks like I could get one for about $140 shipped which is easily $100 less than I'll spend on a Disney rental. Also only about $30-40 more than I'd spend for an off site rental. We'd almost certainly use it at home too for DDs, plus I babysit so could use it from time to time with others as well.

Make sure when you order to check out the return policies ( including who pays for shipping back).

You might also be able to find something similar in a place like ToysRUs where you can put your children in, see how they fit and how hard it is to push.

The other possibility besides buses would be to look into possibly renting a car. The expense may be worth it to you when you consider how to fold a stroller, get the stroller and children on the bus and hold the stroller and the toddler on the bus.
You would also need to think about car seats, but would not have the long bus trip.

Make sure when you order to check out the return policies ( including who pays for shipping back).

You might also be able to find something similar in a place like ToysRUs where you can put your children in, see how they fit and how hard it is to push.

The other possibility besides buses would be to look into possibly renting a car. The expense may be worth it to you when you consider how to fold a stroller, get the stroller and children on the bus and hold the stroller and the toddler on the bus.
You would also need to think about car seats, but would not have the long bus trip.

Thanks! So far rental car is too much still but I'll keep checking. Thanks for the reminder. After many years of having to add insurance I forget to check rentals sometimes.

Luckily I found the suggested one at Walnwrt site-to-store so could return there for free. Plus I think I found someone local who has one I can check out first or I'm going to try and p by a baby store in OK next week when we're there to see it in person.

I appreciate all the various insites!! It helps to remind me various things to consider when my brain is caught up in this months old debate

Baby Trend makes a sit and stand that is less expensive than the Joovy Caboose sit & stand that I use. I found the Baby Trend to be bulkier and harder to steer, so we went with the Joovy. I bought mine at Buy Buy Baby.

My DD is 50 lbs and the baby is heavy--I honestly forget how much she weighs. 25 lbs? Who knows.

Good luck finding something that works!:goodvibes

Baby Trend makes a sit and stand that is less expensive than the Joovy Caboose sit & stand that I use. I found the Baby Trend to be bulkier and harder to steer, so we went with the Joovy. I bought mine at Buy Buy Baby.

My DD is 50 lbs and the baby is heavy--I honestly forget how much she weighs. 25 lbs? Who knows.

Good luck finding something that works!:goodvibes

Thanks!! DD8 is almost 55 and the baby is already 20 so prob 25 easy by Nov. I found a friend who has one and is going to try and meet me so I can try it out. Otherwise well hit a baby store in OKC in a couple of weeks to try it. Oddly there are no Joovy retailers in all of St Louis. Thanks so much for the advice!

Thanks!! DD8 is almost 55 and the baby is already 20 so prob 25 easy by Nov. I found a friend who has one and is going to try and meet me so I can try it out. Otherwise well hit a baby store in OKC in a couple of weeks to try it. Oddly there are no Joovy retailers in all of St Louis. Thanks so much for the advice!

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy your trip!

According to the Joovy site, your older child is already too heavy - it says it will hold 2 children 6 months to 45 pounds.
http://www.joovy.com/pages/pd_caboose.php
some of the Baby Trend ones were up to 40 inches tall and up to 40 pounds for the back standing area. This one was up to 40 inches tall and up to 45 pounds - that was the heaviest weight I could find for the back standing position:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Tren...-Parent-Tray-Quartz/13376705?findingMethod=rr

With the older child already almost 55 pounds, she is already too big and who knows how much she will grow by November.

Your only option may be to bring a small stroller to help get the baby from the bus to where you can rent a stroller unbend park and then leave your own stroller there while you rent a double.

To safely deal with the youngest one; use an ergonomical carrier. Even if you ONLY use it around the busstops and to get the girls on the bus safely without you feeling totally torn into needing to be 3 adults in the same time, it'll be very much worth it. That way it would solve most of your cons in different situations. It could work with both renting in the parks and bringing along your own or rented stroller right from the resort.

They can be a bit more costly sometimes, but you will def. want to get an ergonomical carrier. The good ones will allow you to carry her both on your back, front or side depending on choice and most importantly; spread daughters weight over your body in a proper way so that it's a lot less weight to actually end up carrying than you'ld in a cheap less suitable carrier. Besides I'm sure you'll run into more situations when out and about that you'ld want to have a safe option that leaves you with a bit more "hands free" when dealing with both such a young one and an older child with mobility needs.

If you don't mind me asking, what healthissue does DD8 have? Please, please don't feel you MUST answer, it's mostly a combination of being curious and having a :idea: moment that I could possibly have an idea what you are taking about. If that might be the chance, I could see there being more things to be on the look out for when finding the right aid for DD8 than "just" offering her a way off of her feet. (have a tad bit insight into the world of ligamentproblems and what not, for instance have a connective tissue disorder called ehlers danlos syndrome myself that amongst others has it's influence on ligaments)

Argh! I type a big long response and my phone wouldn't posted. I apparently "lost my token" whatever that means.

Let's try again...

Sue - thanks for the additional info! Definitely something to consider as well, though at least I have day care kids well in the range that would put the sit part to good use in the future as well.

goofies - I do have a similar carrier for Deva and know from experience that it's a lifesaver in this situation. I used it for Terra when just loading the Maclaren and backpack many-a-time.

From how it's been explained to me, Terra's ligaments in her ankle are "loose". Apparently, when the muscles that support her arches are trying to do their job, they aren't getting any assistance from the ankle ligaments like they should and thus get tired more easily than normal and sore. It seems to only be a problem with more extensive use. For example, after about 4 hours at the zoo she starts to get really sore and is just done (even if she hasn't seen her favorite animals). Same with a fairly continuous hour of soccer playing or more active dance class.

The doctor says that over time ankle exercises will help and they have helped some (her "zoo stamina" has expanded by over 2 hours in the last few years). She also wears only good sneakers with lots of arch support, shoelaces and sturdy back of the ankle support to prevent the proration (or whatever it's called when the foot/arch rolls in), etc. The doctor said that we could always do orthotics, but due to the expense of that while she's still growing and because her is fairly minor except in the high activity situations, it's up to us/her based on her comfort needs/wants. When she's an adult and can buy over the counter it becomes a more reasonable option. Until then, it was suggested that just offering additional help on an as needed basis - slower pace, rest, stroller backup, etc - might be just as effective.

If you have any advice or personal experience, I'd love to hear it! I'd love to have other ideas of how to help her both improve and have a better quality of life (sounds so dramatic when I say it that way). Thanks!!

From how it's been explained to me, Terra's ligaments in her ankle are "loose". Apparently, when the muscles that support her arches are trying to do their job, they aren't getting any assistance from the ankle ligaments like they should and thus get tired more easily than normal and sore. It seems to only be a problem with more extensive use. For example, after about 4 hours at the zoo she starts to get really sore and is just done (even if she hasn't seen her favorite animals). Same with a fairly continuous hour of soccer playing or more active dance class.

The doctor says that over time ankle exercises will help and they have helped some (her "zoo stamina" has expanded by over 2 hours in the last few years). She also wears only good sneakers with lots of arch support, shoelaces and sturdy back of the ankle support to prevent the proration (or whatever it's called when the foot/arch rolls in), etc. The doctor said that we could always do orthotics, but due to the expense of that while she's still growing and because her is fairly minor except in the high activity situations, it's up to us/her based on her comfort needs/wants. When she's an adult and can buy over the counter it becomes a more reasonable option. Until then, it was suggested that just offering additional help on an as needed basis - slower pace, rest, stroller backup, etc - might be just as effective.

If you have any advice or personal experience, I'd love to hear it! I'd love to have other ideas of how to help her both improve and have a better quality of life (sounds so dramatic when I say it that way). Thanks!!

First up; no it does not sound dramatic. Some folks still have a wrong image that quality of life only is a subject for those battling terminal illness, but that is a wrong view. Each person on this globe strives, or at least wants to but might not know how to, for the best quality in their life. It's a very healthy thing to be aware of this subject. Dramatic would be drowning in it, you obviously aren't doing that.

Before I go any further, I need to say that I am hyper aware with these things. Also one of those things to keep in mind when reading posts. ;) Reason I asked further is because as I said I might recognize some things. I'm very torn if I should open my mouth or not realising that I could upset with possibly no reason but the other end of it could be it being very helpfull. Your daughters problems? Know them and they are part of my life as well, allthough by now my whole body is doing the same thing. Most people dealing with such problems will "just" have those darned problems. For some of us, there is an underlying cause in any of the many connective tissue disorders there are. Problem is that the medical community still knows very little if any about that and many of us will have had years, if not decades, before ever finding out they have a connective tissue disorder.

Again, I want to stress that I can't say anything about your DD's health. Odds are she falls in the "just" group. But something triggered me to still mention the small chance. If you ever find or have found her complaining about other problems with moving, pain, bruises etc; it might be something to look into. Not because it's a horrible black scenario but because knowledge is power and especially with these conditions.

That was also why I was asking "further". As it is very unknown, I've seen some parents of kids with such a condition describe their childs situation in a way like you did to keep it simple and understandable. Why ask? Because those of us where an underlying condition is the cause, there are more things to be aware of when looking into which aid to use. Some options can be too demanding. For instance giving too little or too much support in certain areas. Just like with her ankles need some help but not too much, it can be the same for other parts of the body when there is "more" going on.

As far as being more aimed towards her goes; when doing a rental look for what she can do with her feet. Can she rest them comfortably? Or would she have to fold her ankles into a painfull angle to get proper rest? When being so movable in a joint, she could unconciously go looking for a "relaxing feeling" by locking her feet into very weird positions. Like she'ld want to fold herself into a too small a place. That feels very comfy when doing it and as long as she's in that position, as the body gets a signal that it can finally relax the muscles that are working extra to do the work the ligaments should do. It is very difficult (if not impossible sometimes) to not do this when getting the chance. So it works better to not have any small corners, nooks and holes where she can wiggle a foot into.

Being able to put up her feet can be welcome if she's in pain, if she can put them up while being supported and relaxed is even better. Try to find out at home what she likes best. You might find she'll benefit from a small pillow under her ankles. If that's the case, it's not that huge of a deal to bring along a small pillow when the offset of it is less pain and/or tiredness.

Pacing is also a good trick. It prevents her from getting too much pain early in the day that she'll push through in the afternoon because she just wants to do that much wanted thing. Alternating between rest and moving always is a good thing with this. Hopefully it will also help her prevent those folding of the ankle moments when she just is too tired anklewise. Also if she's of the age where she gets aware of being "different" and wanting to do as much as she can, pacing can be an easier way to accept physical limitations as she can be mobile on those much desired moments and rest at moments where she finds walking isn't all that important.

But the best thing you could ever do, you are allready doing IMHO. You are very much aware of wanting to respect her physical limits but not baby her either and on top of that you take her and a baby to WDW. If that doesn't make you an Amazing Mother, I don't know what would. :hug: And good for her on building up her strength!!! :thumbsup2

WOW! Thank you SO much for the additional information and suggestions. I really really appreciate them. I am all for any suggestions that help me help her and your compliments were just the boost I needed after a crazy day yesterday.

I promise, nothing you said worried me! It's nice to know that there's something else out there that could explain things if they don't improve over time or she starts having other issues. I went and looked up the disorder you mentioned after your first post and definitely see how that could possibly apply - lots of family traits in there.

Thanks again! The ideas on how to best help her rest were wonderful and more appreciated than you may know.

We're looking forward to an amazing trip for Deva's first visit! Terra can't wait to introduce her to Mickey!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter